homemade LED's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• homemade LED's

here's a geeky question for you guys....

I bought some blue LED's (5mm, 5 volt, 30mA, 300mcd) today at radio shack, and some 460 ohm resistors to make them work with the power supply

did I buy the right resistors? I asked the radio shack guys, but they had no idea.

anyone hook up their own LED's before? any good tutorials online?

ohhhhhhh, i saw a calculator for finding the rite resistor....
    i dont remember where it was tho.
    sorry so vauge, i erased my history recently....

//alias

Comment

This link perhaps?
      technology,hardware,graphics,motherboard,reviews,gaming,video games,pc games,analysis,modding,case mod,news,headlines

Did you know Radio Shack has 12V LED's:?:
      The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

Comment

I've spotted a few places here that sell 12V LED's in a variety of colours which negate the need for resistors. :devil win
        <center>:cheers:</center>

Comment

This is what I'm using ATM;

They have red and green, but I don't believe they have the much sought after blue?
          I reckon if that is the color you are after, the resistor might be the only option at the Shack.
          Shame, as that one in the link is a breeze to install - 9/32" hole, and you are in business.
          The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

Comment

The blues can be got here so someone would have to have them there as well ya'd think. :?:
            <center>:cheers:</center>

Comment

well that calculator says I need a 270 ohm resistor (how in the world was I so off?), so I guess I'll try that first since 4 resistors are only like 97 cents.

If not, I'll try looking for some 12v blue LED's online somewhere. I like blue, heh, heh.

thanks for the help, guys.

Comment

the 12v LEDs at Radioshack are regular LED w. a resistor.
                SO they did the work for you, but last time i checked they were a lot more

Comment

are there any places online that I can just order some nice and easy 12v BLUE LED's?

Comment

hey another question: at radio shack there were a lot of 270 ohm resistors, but some were 1/4 watt, some where 1/2 watt and some were 1 watt

what does this wattage mean and which should I get for my 5 volt, 30mA LED's?

Comment

thats the calc, as for the wattage, i think you can work it out by puttin the volts and amps into some kind of formula....

//alias

Comment

Volts * amps = Watts
                        if you have 5 volt, 30mA led, use a 1/2W resitor, assuming its a 240-270Ohm resistor.

Comment

cool, thanks--I'll let you know how it goes...

Comment

Here's a thought:
                            If you are going to be hooking up more than one LED to the same switch (or on all the time), you could actually connect 2 (5v) LED in series to the 12v source. they will be brighter too. Or you could connect 3(5v) to make them a little dimmer.
                            NO RESISTORS REQUIRED!!!!!!!

Same can be done w. 2v LEDs I have 5 hooked up in my car to light up the dash when i want to. Looks nice too.

BTW the best color the i've found is white! They are kinda rare, t last time i got them i didnt get many. :(
                            HTH

Comment

here's the beginning of my homemade on/off switch for my cathode light (soon to be lightS)

Comment

Working...
                              X