Hard drive space ??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hard drive space ??

G'day Men, well my clean install of XP went off without a hitch and I'm rapt:lips:

One thing has me very puzzled. I have C Drive partitioned to 5.32 GB

Windows = 1.03 GB
    Prog Files = 118 Mb
    Documents & settings = 52 MB

If I open Windows explorer I only have 2.68GB Free ???:eek:

What is taking up the rest?? :cry:

do you have explorer set to show all hidden and system files?

Comment

Will check mate, be back in a tick:shoot2:

Comment

The only Files on note are hiberfil.sys = 523,832kb

and pagefile = 786,432 kb.

I presume, ( I'm learning hehe) the hiberfil.sys is something to do with hibernation and the page file speaks for itself.
        So better leave them alone?:shoot2:

Comment

never messed with the hybernation file, but then again I never let my puter hybernate ;)

the page file depends on how much ram you have

er lemme edit that - 640M huh, hell u could turn the page file off

here's a link http://www.tweakxp.com/tweakxp/display.asp?id=309

Comment

I find this, even with my limited knowledge, strange. a clean install, I have not changed any settings at all.

When i go into device manager and check the pagefile, it is set at Custom, with a min of 768 and a max of 1536.
            Recomended steetings are 766 & 768?

One would assume ( or I would anyway) that the thing would be system managed?:?:

PS I have 512 MB of Ram, just cheap stuff PC-133

Comment

windows always sucks at setting the page file

technically your supposed to have 1.5X the amount of RAM you have, but when u get above 512M that's hardly necessary.

Comment

oh and yah, setting a static page file is a good idea

even partioning a part of ur HDD for the page file is a good idea too ;)

Comment

while its working ok, I don't think I'll change anything just yet, games work fine etc.
                  So if I can't burn again then I'll change a few things.
                  Ta for youy input mate

Comment

just set your pagefile to a manual size something more conservative and disable hibernation altogether, coz it sucks anyway, shouldn't be allowed to include that anymore..

Comment

Originally posted by Kanga
                      while its working ok, I don't think I'll change anything just yet, games work fine etc.
                      So if I can't burn again then I'll change a few things.
                      Ta for youy input mate
                      np, if I actually do know an answer to a question here I'll answer :D

Comment

I don't need hibernation, well i do, but my PC dosn't hehe:zzz:

Will That get rid of that hiberfil.sys file?:fly:

EDIT Well got rid of the hibernation option and 500 odd MB as well, so another thing worked

Will re-install Nero tom nite and see how that works: peace2:

Comment

should do.

have you used hibernation before? I assume that file is only generated when you go into hibernation, beforehand its non-existant...

but maybe it prepares, so i just want to clarify...

Comment

I havnt used this yet, nor do I plan to, but if the hibernation thing-a-ma-bob uses 500 Mb imagine what system restore uses:hammer:

Comment

something in the ballpark of 10-12% of your free space by default (maximum)

but i know how valuable that system restore is in cases where people fuxor things up...

i would recommend deleting obselete restore points manually so as to keep that "fresh/earliest" restore point always there - just-in-case, also if you wanna save space but still have that fall-back, i'd recommend dropping that setting back to 5-6%

Comment

Working...
                              X