PDA

View Full Version : Let me know if I'm on crack please :)

Suicide
02-15-2003, 07:06 AM
Like the subject topic says...

Here's what I wanna do. Before I buy anything want some input (save me a few bucks if I really am on crack like a fewo thers have told me :D)

My P4 in my sig is gonna be running at stock speeds again (or well, at least not clocked as high as 3.32ghz, maybe run it at 2.8 or something small) and the ram will be set back down to stock running default voltages etc. Anyway, that aside, I'm looking to rebuild my case entirely outta plexiglass (Except for one 3 1/2" drive bay where my 52 C IBM "Deathstar" SCSI HDD resides (thing idles at 32 C w/ 120mm fan infront of it heh)... Anyway sidetracking :)

Wanna take my case (Enermax CS-3061L (White not black)) and empty it, rebuild it all in plexiglass, including the mainboard tray. I can do this no problem, question is, should I? Or should I lay off the crack pipe for a while (speaking figuratively not literally)? Basically all this machine is gonna be used for is, I'm bringing her into the shop to put up as a demo unit for sampling the new DSL that's in the area, and want something that'll catch people's eye yanno :D But want to make it myself :) (I don't intend on making cases like this galore and sellin' 'em, just making one for my own use for this purpose until funds become available to build the shop its own machine for that purpose)...

Anyway rambling :) Yay or nay on this?

minibubba
02-15-2003, 08:03 AM
i say go for it :thumb:

Acrylic cases are already fairly normal though, so it's not a completey original idea:
http://www.coolerguys.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=001&Product_Code=840556032045&Category_Code=CS-ACRYL

Wiggo
02-15-2003, 08:08 AM
Hey I'm goin' "woody" myself. :D

:beer: :beer: :beer:

Mr. C
02-15-2003, 08:24 AM
Wow, people could come in and see the death-defying DeskStar in action:eek:

Gives me goose bumps:D

negomike
02-16-2003, 12:14 AM
For your Desk Star :D you might want to consider something over at www.silentPCreview.com. They have a DIY aluminum harddrive (http://www.silentpcreview.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=Sections&file=index&req=viewarticle&artid=8&page=1) "sandwich" that reduces temperature & noise! They also have a second article about it here (http://www.silentpcreview.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=Sections&file=index&req=viewarticle&artid=11&page=1). Also, an article about HD cooling and attaching side sinks here (http://www.silentpcreview.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=Sections&file=index&req=viewarticle&artid=22&page=1).

Good luck,
And May the seek be with you

dryadsoul
02-16-2003, 01:02 AM

With handle like Dryadsoul (Welsh for Druid).......gonna
try makin' box outa Jacaronda........give me sumpin' ta do
while saving coin for dat Prometiea............:( : peace2:

Suicide
02-16-2003, 01:51 AM
i say go for it :thumb:

Acrylic cases are already fairly normal though, so it's not a completey original idea:
http://www.coolerguys.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=001&Product_Code=840556032045&Category_Code=CS-ACRYL
I know it's not, but was told I was on crack coz I wanted to do it myself and not buy something premade (I can save myself about 80 bucks doing it myself)

For your Desk Star you might want to consider something over at www.silentPCreview.com. They have a DIY aluminum harddrive "sandwich" that reduces temperature & noise! They also have a second article about it here. Also, an article about HD cooling and attaching side sinks here.

Good luck,
And May the seek be with you
Thanks, gonna check into that :)

minibubba
02-16-2003, 02:06 AM
I know it's not, but was told I was on crack coz I wanted to do it myself and not buy something premade (I can save myself about 80 bucks doing it myself)

i always like doing my mods myself....if you think you can do it then go for it:thumb: :cheers:

Wordbiker
02-17-2003, 01:28 AM
When ya get that wooden PC coffin built, I'll give ya a professional critique Wiggo ;)
I have a similar idea(s), and when I can build it, I'll fwd the pics. As far as the acrylic case, I'd say....GO FOR IT! :thumb:
Plastic is an amazingly versatile material, and I'd like to see you do something wild with it. All of the pre-fab acrylic cases I've seen are pretty much just copies of a metal case....:cheers:

Suicide
02-17-2003, 02:06 AM
Just ordered a couple of sheets (making two cases :D) will post pics when complete.

minibubba
02-17-2003, 02:09 AM
looking forward to it :cheers:

negomike
02-17-2003, 05:39 AM
There are some articles out there on how to cleanly bend acrylic, though it's not easy. Does create a nice look, but as usual I don't remember were it is. I look for it and post it if I can actually find it.

Wiggo, you really going wood? Are you using normal wood or some of that special sound absorbing stuff?

Planning to attempt to completely silence the new desktop once I build it. Included the CD-RW and DVD drive and PSU. :D

My laptop's HD make this annoy middle / maybe a little bit on the high side noise. Ugh. Pissing me off.

Still trying to figure out how to modify the ATX standard for better airflow.
Maybe angle itfoward 45'o or so, or airflow looks something like this:

(Using QUOTE for text formatting)
<- \_
\_ <-

:wave: Damn guilty of causing thread drift.... again.

Wiggo
02-17-2003, 09:04 AM
Wordbiker[/size]]
When ya get that wooden PC coffin built, I'll give ya a professional critique Wiggo ;)
Well I could do a coffin a spose but I was thinkin' more like these, http://forums.tweaktown.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=2596 ;)
<center>:cheers:</center>

Wordbiker
02-17-2003, 01:26 PM
Yep, you've gotta admire the craftsmanship shown in those pics, but it still looks like a PC case. My idea is different, and solves a few problems I've seen in the basic case designs, as well as some aesthetic concerns that a non-enthusiast has. The only hint I'll give ya is that it includes much more than just the CPU case.....;) It'll take me a while to afford the woods and supplies I'll need, but I plan to make something marketable. :cheers:

negomike
02-17-2003, 06:55 PM
Now you've got me hooked Wordbiker, common give us a hint!?!?

Random thought I wonder if anyone has installed a computer into a toilet?

Oh boy! I just came up with a new BG game!

Unless of course it has been done before, which just about everything has. :p

Wiggo
02-17-2003, 06:59 PM
negomike[/size]]
Now you've got me hooked Wordbiker, common give us a hint!?!?

Random thought I wonder if anyone has installed a computer into a toilet? Yes that one's been done a couple of times now and both that I've seen wern't to bad if ya into sittin' on ya PC. :D
<center>:cheers:</center>

AlienBlood
02-23-2003, 11:57 PM
I saw pics of one built into a training seat (potty chair?) complete with brown paint on the seat. It was the most disgusting thing I've ever seen.

negomike
02-24-2003, 12:08 AM
Originally posted by AlienBlood
[B]I saw pics of one built into a training seat (potty chair?) complete with brown paint on the seat. It was the most disgusting thing I've ever seen.

:shh: No comment. :rofl:

dryadsoul
02-26-2003, 01:51 AM

Hey, Wiggo, can you link me to the website ya got that
quasi-pyramid woodie from:?:
Am lookin for victorian or older solid golden oak sideboard
to mod into computer and desk all in 1...........:crazy: :D

and yo, suicidal........if you want to make your own acrylic
cement:?:take a sheet/scrap Acrylic wrap well in towel place on
strong workbench pound/thrash thouroughly with heaviest
tool on hand than place shards in gallon Glass jar cover
with Acetone.......if FNPremover make sure not scented.........
leave set till desolves shards and BAMM best on market......
and ya even get rid 'o some frustrations :cool: :D

Wordbiker
02-26-2003, 02:35 AM
OK, OK....a hint....;)
I'm planning on building something like Dryad wants to build....
An antique styled secretary all-in-one, including:
Built-in, sheilded and "stealthed" 19"LCD screen, Slide-out keyboard and mouse tray, low-voltage lighting on door switches, HEPA filtered 120V fan driven ducted cooling system, slide-out MOBO mounting tray, drawer for an all-in-one printer, extra power and I/O outlets for peripherals, paper and media storage, built-in 5.1 speakers w/wireless rears, wireless networking, Uninterruptible Power Source, Infrared eye for remote usage, and anything else that comes out of the design process....:D
It will all be as upgradeable as I can make it, and extensive sound-deadening will be applied.
I also plan to use some antiquing techniques to mask the fact that it will be a crankin' fast modern PC, ie: Brass and crystal buttons and knobs, copper or brass speaker grilles, reproduction Edison bulbs....I'd like it to be reminiscent of the anachronistic technological style displayed in games like Siberia.
I like the Chippendale secretaries I've seen, but I most likely will use a Shaker or Craftsman (Stickley) style for simplicity's sake (So that I can actually FINISH it!), and as this spring I will be building a Craftsman style retirement home for my folks...Oughta look pretty sharp in that setting :thumb:

negomike
02-26-2003, 02:56 AM
And here I was thinking of building a box.

:wow: :p

Wordbiker
02-26-2003, 02:59 AM
LOL....sorry man...I'm a finish carpenter and furniture and cabinet builder....I CAN'T do just a box...:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

dryadsoul
02-26-2003, 07:11 PM
Yeah, right with you on that one Wordbiker.......having
not only built many a house from the ground up & covered
it's frame inside to out & roof as well.........funny thing
how my Druidic anscestors instilled a love/bond with the
Tree World that runs so strongly through my veins.....
May just be me,but i know of no other single living/renewable
resource from which Humankind can provide theirselves with
needs ranging from material to build a shelter/furnishings/heat/
cooking fuel/eating utinsiles/clothe/thread/needle/cannoe/fishing
pole/hooks/nets/etc. et. al. and still use it for shade/wind break/
bedding/fruit/nuts/paper/rubber..........needless to go on.....
as surely y'all catch my fervor......also Guitars & Drums......
Yours sounds quite the impressive project and i for one would enjoy exchanging conjectural theory & concepts on constuction
of same....:thumb: :cool: :cheers:: peace2:

Wordbiker
02-27-2003, 12:41 AM
"Stickley took his artistic inspiration from America. Stickley felt that art should be of and by the people, stemming from their everyday lives."

"In October 1901, Stickley began publication of "The Craftsman". The first issue dedicated to William Morris, and the second issue dedicated to John Ruskin, clearly positioned the publication as the voice of the American Arts & Crafts movement. Gustav used "The Craftsman" to promote his architectural ideas. A house was to be constructed in harmony with its landscape, with careful attention to the selection of building materials. His open floor plan invited family interaction and eliminated barriers wherever practical. He encouraged built in benches, bookcases and sideboards to create a practical house, independent of total reliance upon furniture to make it useful and appealing. Groupings of windows allowed ample light inside and appealing views of the outside. These architectural elements were beautifully expanded on by Frank Lloyd Wright in the following decades."

3dboiler
02-27-2003, 05:40 AM
Being a Stone Carver, Maybe I'll have to carve me a nice Limetone or marble case thats looks like a Gargoyle or something. HAHA, that'd be sweet!! :wow:

EDIT: IT'd Be HELLA Heavy though, haha :cantfocus :cantfocus

Wordbiker
02-27-2003, 06:02 AM
Hmmmmm....or perhaps a combination of the trades....
I've seen some beautiful Hoosiers (Marble topped baking cabinets) as well as other end tables, etc incorporating stone and metal...
Hey! You could make a headstone for the coffin Wiggo's gonna build! :laugh: Just teasing...
Here's a pic from the game Syberia...This is the look, victorian gothic disguising technology...

dryadsoul
02-27-2003, 10:06 PM
I really doubt,not knowing your personal degree of crafmanship,
but rather,just from the names you drop, that you would ever
be content with a simple Shaker design:rofl:
What do you think of this idea for those window mod freaks:
A simple yet elegantly styled Geodesic Dome {invented by
Buckminster Fuller....one ofMr.Stickley/Wrights contemporaries,
who died penniles in early1980's and who's autograph i actually
have}His Geodesic dome structure was even used by the US
Military/armed forces in WW2 for transporting fuel/oil.
but, just think of the Bling Bling aspect of Cold Cathoids and
all those potential prisms:wow:

Wordbiker
02-27-2003, 11:43 PM
You are correct, sir Dryad...I would not be content with a simple Shaker design, yet it is an excellent place to start determining the needed form factor, the very same form factor that does not lend itself well to a geodesic structure....the inherent problem being that I am integrating pre-manufactured components into an interface ergonomically suited for use by a human. Geodesic structures, from an engineering perspective, are a marvel...strong, transportable, lightweight, self-supporting...yet somewhat wasteful from an architectural viewpoint. The structure itself determines the arrangement of its contents, rather than the more conventional, and quite opposite approach of the contents and living arrangements, as it were, determining the structure. In my humble opinion, good design balances the aesthetic with function seamlessly....neither any more or less than the other.
I apologize for any misconception that I was namedropping. I am merely a self-educated student, and my last posting was not my own, but did display some of the concepts that appeal to me, and displays the purpose to which I have applied myself.
:geek:

SmokeyTheBalrog
02-28-2003, 12:40 AM
:afro: How about making it out of sun dried mud bricks? : peace:

dryadsoul
03-02-2003, 07:06 PM
"I apologize for any misconception that I was name dropping" Originaly posted by Wordbiker

Incorrect amundo my Friend! For any misconception as to my lexicon/phrasing being meant in a derogative manner, was just that..........misconceived. If,in fact, you felt that i was being
unduely curt in manner, that would be my fault for approaching life with a no-nonsense straight-up matter of fact style which
can be attributed to my Zero tolerance policy {as life is all too short for misundersatandings};and i ask you to also consider my
rather dry and sarcastic sense of humor as being wrongly
taken as abrassive by most, if not all others on this planet.
The names/people you refer to are not only known/respected
but well received by me in your proper use of them. And now that i'm satisfied with the rectification of that issue.
I am in total agreement with everything else you stated in it's
entirity, except for the fact that my mention of the geodesic structure & it's use as possible architectural format was as stated,
i believe,by me, as being intended as food for thought amongst
those who are purely into aestheic and niether fuctionability nor
form in the building of PC cases.......Bling Bling is the current terminology ATM.:2cents: :cheers: : peace2:

Wordbiker
03-02-2003, 11:45 PM
Yeah, there's no doubt that a dome is an eyecatcher, but why stop there? Why not a complete geodesic sphere? That would actually be a great PC enclosure for someone living on the surface of the moon, though it would be better if it were made of fabric and inflated with air so you could bounce it while skating to that LAN party on the Dark Side...Can you imagine the kickflips you could do off the edge of one of those craters with a hoverboard?
No offense taken...when I stop having fun, I'll let ya know ;)
:cheers:

dryadsoul
03-03-2003, 12:51 AM
Yeaaaaaaaaaahhhhaaaaaaa, bouncin' an inflatible geosphere
in zero grav while zappin' dem pesky orion skeeters wit'a liquid
plasma sidearm, it'ld be like a '72 led zeppelin concert all over again.........only with a far superior lazer light show.
read in your profile your a born tinker too, ya wouldn't be Celtic
too now would ya:?: :confused: :D

Wordbiker
03-03-2003, 12:55 AM
Well, I do have an Irish surname, but it's adopted...I'm Norse by ancestry...:D
By the way....Bling Bling?
What does the first Panda born in captivity have to do with anything? :confused: :?:

SmokeyTheBalrog
03-03-2003, 01:06 AM
lmao

dryadsoul
03-04-2003, 09:19 PM
Well, I do have an Irish surname, but it's adopted...I'm Norse by ancestry...:D
By the way....Bling Bling?
What does the first Panda born in captivity have to do with anything? :confused: :?:

excuse my assertiveness, but, and please correct me if i am wrong, Norse/Dane{being Norwegian/Danish} were the real/only true vikings{as all other Scandanavians pale/were whiped by the
prior mentioned}Check all written history by Irish,All Norse/Dane/
some,if not most Swede,and all Duetch{German}and unedited by any Brittish.........and you will find that your Norse Geneological heritage includes the bloodlines of Irish,Scotts,Welsh,and especially Manx{Isle of Mann} BLOOD.....which would be currently flowing through your veins{assuming you are still breathing at present time}.
And Bling Bling is an derivative of the street euro-car racers vernacular meaning shinny bright and happening.........eye candy.
no relation to the only,yet sane, connection you were able to make ATM.............sorry for any confusion on yo part....K:?: O-tay!: peace2:

SmokeyTheBalrog
03-04-2003, 09:46 PM
Bling-bling also can refer to jewelry and diamonds

I.e. The Mad TV spoof: Lord of the Bling

Wordbiker
03-05-2003, 02:27 AM
From the Dictionary of English Slang:
Bling Bling: Noun. 1. Jewellery. From the sound of jewellery knocking against jewellery, as often seen worn by rappers. [Orig. Black US]
2. Obvious and appealing wealth, by extension of meaning 1.
And the Online Slang Dictionary:
bling-bling adj 1. fancy. Often suggests that a person is showing off. ("Oh, look at Mr. V, all bling-bling with the new cell phone!")
bling-blings n 1. shiny (flashy) jewelry, usually gold or silver, esp. bracelets, chains, earrings ("She was looking hot in her bling-blings.")

SmokeyTheBalrog
03-09-2003, 03:04 AM
Oh! Online slang dictionary!! Gimme linky please!

Wordbiker
03-09-2003, 03:22 AM
http://www.peevish.co.uk/slang/]English Slang
http://www.ocf.berkeley.edu/~wrader/slang/]Online Slang Dictionary (http://www.ocf.berkeley.edu/~wrader/slang/)
: peace2:

SmokeyTheBalrog
03-09-2003, 03:29 AM
Danka!