Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Let me know if I'm on crack please :)

Like the subject topic says...

Here's what I wanna do. Before I buy anything want some input (save me a few bucks if I really am on crack like a fewo thers have told me :D)

My P4 in my sig is gonna be running at stock speeds again (or well, at least not clocked as high as 3.32ghz, maybe run it at 2.8 or something small) and the ram will be set back down to stock running default voltages etc. Anyway, that aside, I'm looking to rebuild my case entirely outta plexiglass (Except for one 3 1/2" drive bay where my 52 C IBM "Deathstar" SCSI HDD resides (thing idles at 32 C w/ 120mm fan infront of it heh)... Anyway sidetracking :)

Wanna take my case (Enermax CS-3061L (White not black)) and empty it, rebuild it all in plexiglass, including the mainboard tray. I can do this no problem, question is, should I? Or should I lay off the crack pipe for a while (speaking figuratively not literally)? Basically all this machine is gonna be used for is, I'm bringing her into the shop to put up as a demo unit for sampling the new DSL that's in the area, and want something that'll catch people's eye yanno :D But want to make it myself :) (I don't intend on making cases like this galore and sellin' 'em, just making one for my own use for this purpose until funds become available to build the shop its own machine for that purpose)...

Anyway rambling :) Yay or nay on this?

i say go for it :thumb:

Acrylic cases are already fairly normal though, so it's not a completey original idea:
    Look no further for all of your cooling fan and computer component needs. Coolerguys offers many top brands for PC and AV cooling and modification.

Comment

Hey I'm goin' "woody" myself. :D

Comment

Wow, people could come in and see the death-defying DeskStar in action:eek:

Gives me goose bumps:D
        The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

Comment

For your Desk Star :D you might want to consider something over at www.silentPCreview.com. They have a DIY aluminum harddrive "sandwich" that reduces temperature & noise! They also have a second article about it here. Also, an article about HD cooling and attaching side sinks here.

Good luck,
          And May the seek be with you

Comment

Originally posted by Wiggo
            Hey I'm goin' "woody" myself. :D

With handle like Dryadsoul (Welsh for Druid).......gonna
            try makin' box outa Jacaronda........give me sumpin' ta do
            while saving coin for dat Prometiea............:( : peace2:
            Happiness isn't something you experience; it's something you recall.

Comment

Originally posted by minibubba
              i say go for it :thumb:

Acrylic cases are already fairly normal though, so it's not a completey original idea:
              http://www.coolerguys.com/Merchant2/..._Code=CS-ACRYL
              I know it's not, but was told I was on crack coz I wanted to do it myself and not buy something premade (I can save myself about 80 bucks doing it myself)

Originally posted by negomike
              For your Desk Star you might want to consider something over at www.silentPCreview.com. They have a DIY aluminum harddrive "sandwich" that reduces temperature & noise! They also have a second article about it here. Also, an article about HD cooling and attaching side sinks here.

Good luck,
              And May the seek be with you
              Thanks, gonna check into that :)

Comment

Originally posted by Suicide
                I know it's not, but was told I was on crack coz I wanted to do it myself and not buy something premade (I can save myself about 80 bucks doing it myself)
                i always like doing my mods myself....if you think you can do it then go for it:thumb: :cheers:

Comment

When ya get that wooden PC coffin built, I'll give ya a professional critique Wiggo ;)
                  I have a similar idea(s), and when I can build it, I'll fwd the pics. As far as the acrylic case, I'd say....GO FOR IT! :thumb:
                  Plastic is an amazingly versatile material, and I'd like to see you do something wild with it. All of the pre-fab acrylic cases I've seen are pretty much just copies of a metal case....:cheers:

Comment

Just ordered a couple of sheets (making two cases :D) will post pics when complete.

Comment

looking forward to it :cheers:

Comment

There are some articles out there on how to cleanly bend acrylic, though it's not easy. Does create a nice look, but as usual I don't remember were it is. I look for it and post it if I can actually find it.

Wiggo, you really going wood? Are you using normal wood or some of that special sound absorbing stuff?

Planning to attempt to completely silence the new desktop once I build it. Included the CD-RW and DVD drive and PSU. :D

My laptop's HD make this annoy middle / maybe a little bit on the high side noise. Ugh. Pissing me off.

Still trying to figure out how to modify the ATX standard for better airflow.
                        Maybe angle itfoward 45'o or so, or airflow looks something like this:

(Using QUOTE for text formatting)
                        <- \_
                        \_ <-
                        :wave: Damn guilty of causing thread drift.... again.

Comment

Originally posted by [size=6
                          Wordbiker[/size]]
                          When ya get that wooden PC coffin built, I'll give ya a professional critique Wiggo ;)
                          Well I could do a coffin a spose but I was thinkin' more like these, http://forums.tweaktown.com/showthre...;threadid=2596 ;)
                          <center>:cheers:</center>

Comment

Yep, you've gotta admire the craftsmanship shown in those pics, but it still looks like a PC case. My idea is different, and solves a few problems I've seen in the basic case designs, as well as some aesthetic concerns that a non-enthusiast has. The only hint I'll give ya is that it includes much more than just the CPU case.....;) It'll take me a while to afford the woods and supplies I'll need, but I plan to make something marketable. :cheers:

Comment

Now you've got me hooked Wordbiker, common give us a hint!?!?

Random thought I wonder if anyone has installed a computer into a toilet?

Oh boy! I just came up with a new BG game!

Unless of course it has been done before, which just about everything has. :p

Comment

Working...
                              X