Blue Sparks on the Power Supply?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blue Sparks on the Power Supply?

i just put together my pc, then when i turn on the power, i had this blue sparts came out on my power supply.. and now it seems to be dead, the fans are not working..

my power suply says 400v how do i get the 400?v but i could switch on either 115, 230 volts.

help if u know whats worng with it..thanks:wave:

The blue spark doesn't sound too good. You might have over loaded it or maybe there was a power surge.I have a surge protected adapter for my computer maybe you should try one with ure new p.s.u . I dunno maybe it'll be ok:cheers:

Comment

Originally posted by Mlon
      my power suply says 400v how do i get the 400?v but i could switch on either 115, 230 volts.
      400 volts or 400 watts? I would guess watts since there aren't any worldwide standards for a 400v electrical system used in mainstream housing situations.

As to the sparks, it is likely that it has fried or is at the very least faulty. If it is a new PSU, then get it replaced and then make sure that the manufacturer will cover any costs for blown system components. You'll want to check all peripherals in a machine that is a known good setup to make sure that everything still works.

Also, make sure that you have the 115-230v setting in the appropriate spot when you plug in the new power supply. This couls also save you some troubles in the future. :)
      Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
      My Toys

Comment

Ouch:(

Could be simple as something inside came loose or was not fastened properly at the factory.
        Probably a toasted PSU just the same.
        No need to go poking around inside it if it has a warranty, take it back.

Hope nothing else was affected:confused:
        The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

Comment

Darthanion you said:

Also, make sure that you have the 115-230v setting in the appropriate spot when you plug in the new power supply.

So the best setting is 230? i might have put the setting on neutral...has probably where it spark..maybe it got overloaded.

thanks guys 4 ur replys:)

Comment

The only setting that will work is the one that matches your power rating that you have in your home (or wherever you have your machine). If you use a 110-120v power for your residence, then you need to set the PSU accordingly. Some countries use a 110-120v power system and others use a 210-230v system. I don't know what Australia uses so you'll have to go by your local customs.

Oh... and if you set it incorrectly, you can damage the machine, any or all components and even the power system in your home.
            Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
            My Toys

Comment

Basically the US uses 110v while most of the rest of us use the 230v settin'. ;)
              <center>:cheers:</center>

Comment

Basically, that's about it.
                We always gott'a be different.
                The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

Comment

Is it also true that half the US' electricity is 50Hz while the others are 60Hz?
                  Onyx

TweakTown
                  OCAU - Overclockers Australia
                  CPF - CandlePower Forums

Antec 1080AMG with 430W TruePower

Comment

Do those old north/south things still go on? :eek:

Yes I must say that the US has quite a few things that only relate to them (gee just gettin' the ****s with the Poms resulted in mutilations of language, measures, currency, etc,...). :laugh:

Comment

i went to the shop and the guy replace the psu for me..now its ok im a first timer on building a PC ... i thought it also affected the mobo and i might be dead...

my cpu is 2400 then i notice on the boot screen or somewhere and it says the cpu is 1800!! is this strange or what?:bounce: :wave:

Comment

Well at least the PSU had a fuse then as some don't.

Your FSB is set to 100MHz instead of 133MHz so just find the jumper/dip switch/BIOS setting and correct it (your manual will have details of this). ;)

Comment

Originally posted by Onyx
                          Is it also true that half the US' electricity is 50Hz while the others are 60Hz?
                          no this is not true all of North america is 110-120V and 60Hz, Europe and a bunch of other places its 220-230V and 50Hz

If what u are saying was right then companies would have to make different appliances for each part where the frequency is different, example of that would be electronic clocks that run on house currnet they rely on that 60Hz to change the time, if the frequenct was 50Hz and not 60 the clock would be fast about 10mins per hour

Comment

Working...
                          X