Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need Information

I have two questions.

1. Is it possible for someone to connect to a stand alone computer when they access the internet via a dial up?

2. Is it possible to detect when someone is connecting to your computer when you are on the internet via your dial up?

I have a friend who swears to me someone is accessing her computer when she connects to the interent. She is using a dial up connection and is not networked.

Her computer acts very strangly at times and when she goes to shut it down she is asked...Are you sure you want to disconnect? User A,B&C are still connected?

I would like to be able to monitor her connection but don't have a clue what to use.

Any information would be helpful.

ps: Evidently this same comp had a virus a few months ago that was removed by McAfee AV... could it have left something behind?

All of it is possible and I'm not real keen on McAfee of late but a trojan hunter/killer (PersianI. leaves the link for one around here) should at least be run on it if not an Fdisk and start again and then get Zone Alarm installed and that should fix and stop the prob hopefully (ppl on dialup are just as likely to get an intruder as those on broadband). ;)
    <center>:cheers:</center>

Comment

A firewall is as necessary for your comp as there are walls for your house.
      Something like The Cleaner should help you remove any thoughts about trojans.
      Try some anti-spy software to weed of the possibility of some spyware installed. Every one's dahling Ad-aware comes to rescue at this moment.
      Latest Microsoft Security Updates.
      Last Updated:
      10th MARCH

If you are a security freak: Use Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer (NT/2000/XP/2003)
      ======================
      jabber : [email protected]
      =======================
      Linux user since: April 24, 2003 312478
      yabaa dabaa doo...
      Customized for 1024x768

Comment

Yeah, I thought about ad-aware... I'll burn it onto a cd and take it next time I visit.

Wiggo.. my thoughts exactly!! I would like to just wipe the hd out and make sure it's clean. They are on ME anyways and the sytem is very unstable.

They had McAfee firewall turned on and it's now giving them fits blocking their internet connection. The more I think about it the more it sounds like whatever virus they had has left it's mark.

Thanks for the info!

Comment

OK then, I'll be the one to suggest SpyBot;

And yes, ZoneAlarm (or an equivalent firewall) is not an accessory.
          If your PC is on the net it needs a firewall just as much as it needs a power outlet and surge protector.

Apparently the McAfee firewall was bypassed or not configured properly. Installing ZoneAlarm even now can help to find any trojans on the system now.

Though, if it were me it would definitely be time to format and get the proper measures in place on the new install.
          The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. C

And yes, ZoneAlarm (or an equivalent firewall) is not an accessory.
            If your PC is on the net it needs a firewall just as much as it needs a power outlet and surge protector.
            I thought you never liked AV, Firewalls and Trojan Cleaners...or am I wrong...:?:
            Last Updated:
            10th MARCH

If you are a security freak: Use Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer (NT/2000/XP/2003)
            ======================
            =======================
            yabaa dabaa doo...
            Customized for 1024x768

Comment

Apparently there is some misunderstanding:?:

I've used ZoneAlarm for years and it was the second program I introduced into my recently clean-installed Windows environment.
              (Excluding hardware control programs that install with drivers of course.)

I reccomend the use of AV software to most people, I do however take a different course of action for myself. I do not reccomend my particular approach, but it works well for me to-date.
              (I'm guessing it was this thread that may have given you the impression I don't like AV software:?: )

As for removal tools for malware - I can't imagine that anyone's software toolbox could be complete without at least one.
              (and if I'm not mistaken, there may be a few folks here who use SpyBot as a direct result of my postings on the subject.)

I still think ZoneAlarm is one of the better trojan tools, in so much as it identifies that you have one trying to gain net access. A trojan that can't call home is about as useful as an AOL CD:laugh:
              The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. C
                A trojan that can't call home is about as useful as an AOL CD:laugh:
                That was a gud one...:laugh: :laugh:
                and yeah it was about that thread regarding you using different methods to clean viruses that tricked me into thinking that you don't like AV's...silly me...:o
                Anyways i need an advice...I am using Sygate as a firewall and its working quite well for me. Should I try changing to Zone Alarm or should I follow the famous quote..."If it ain't broke...don't screw it"?
                I also read somewhere (may be in one or two user opinions at download.com) that Zone Alarm sends info to its server without telling the user. If you try to stop it from doing so...it will crash.
                Is it true or just like one of the jokes happening on net...:cheers:
                Last Updated:
                10th MARCH

======================
                =======================
                yabaa dabaa doo...
                Customized for 1024x768

Comment

Firewall don't do miracles, they control which packets are acceptable for incoming/outgoing traffic.

If Sygate is doing that to your satisfaction, then by all means go with it:thumb: Actually, I'm not familiar with the program but I have never seen anything to indicate it is terribly flawed.

I know ZoneAlarm has the capability to check for updates, etc.
                  I would certainly be interested if someone has info about any misdoings, could be they need to check the preferences in the program:?:
                  Definitely warrants further investigation, thanks.

Comment

Thanks Mr. C, I've downloaded spybot and will try it on the ME system. They don't list that OS as supported, think it will be ok ?

Comment

Which OS will you be trying it on G Smith.

Yeah Mr. C, I will try to find out those user opinions too. May be we will discover a new conspiracy for TT...:p
                      Last Updated:
                      10th MARCH

======================
                      =======================
                      yabaa dabaa doo...
                      Customized for 1024x768

Comment

ME is listed as a supported OS on the SpyBot Search & Destoy overview page.

No problem:thumb:

Comment

Working...
                        X