PDA

View Full Version : Hardware

JealousMidget
02-19-2003, 02:18 AM
Since I am in a situation where I can buy hardware for my future linux box, I am looking for some feedback. I am only in need of a motherboard and soundcard. I am particularly interested in driver compatibility and ease of installation. I have not heard a lot of good things about SB sound cards and linux, due to driver issues. If anyone has any real info on that issue please share it. Also, with the MB, I would prefer Epox, but I can't find anything on linux drivers. Any insight would be appreciated.

JM :afro:

FA-MAS
02-19-2003, 02:57 PM
Take a look here:
http://hardware.redhat.com/hcl/?pagename=hcl&view=advsearch#form

I know you may not be using RedHat, but it's a good resource to find out what hardware is supported.

The motherboard, memory, and chipset. That's all stuff in the kernel. A stock kernel should be good for beginning. They usually have all the support for a wide range of systems compiled in. But if It doesn't it'll either be a module you load, or you have to compile it in.

I know for a fact that the SBLive works. You just have to load the kernel module for it, emu10k1.o

I would say for a Video Card go with Nvidia or ATI, as they provide drivers for linux that give 3D acceleration equal to or greater than the windows drivers. And they're very well documented.

I saw also check with the manufacturer of the hardware you have to see if they have created drivers also.

Later

Wiggo
02-19-2003, 04:43 PM
Bern told me that my 8K3A was fine in the support dept and that nVIDIA has the best video card support so far. ;)
<center>:cheers:</center>

JealousMidget
02-20-2003, 02:18 AM
Thank you for the replies, I may even try dual booting on the system that I have. I didn't really want to but that should give me an outlet for my enthusiasm until I get around to ordering new toys!

Fa-Mas,
I am glad to hear about the SB support. I like my SB cards for the most part. Since they are familiar, I was hoping to stick with them, at least for the time being. I was actually planning on using Slackware 8.1, but a friend who works at a bookstore gifted me a copy of RH8 w/ the bible. So I will probably try both.

Wiggo,
My 8K3A committed suicide not too long ago :cry: (will post that thread some other day), but I am hoping that my 8RDA will do the trick. If the dual booting works then I will probably just get another. With Nvidia drivers for both my MB and my GF3, the prospects are looking good so far. :thumb:

thanks for the replies guys!
JM :afro:

kane2g
02-23-2003, 04:28 PM
my advice, use GRUB for your bootloader if you do dual boot. its simpler than LILO.

just in case you didnt know that already
:2cents: