Help! Power/Reset

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help! Power/Reset

I just finished putting together my new box. It booted up and I set the BIOS/CMOS settings etc.

However, I'm having a problem with the Power and Reset switch capabilities.

First off, Reset doesn't work at all.

The Power on switch works ONLY when the PSU has been turn off and then back on manually. When I do that, the machine turns on and boots to Win XP normally.

In addition, the machine will not restart from the Win XP shutdown/restart action.

Help!

Oh, by the way, I have checked and rechecked the Power SW and Reset SW connections to the mobo. Made sure they were from the right switch, etc.

Help! I don't want to turn my machine on and off from the PSU everytime I want to boot.

are you sure you have all the little connectors in the right spots on your motherboard? check the motherboard instructions if you need to
    TweakTown SETI@home Team

Comment

Check your BIOS for power management settings.
      It is possible that you have overridden the function of the switches by inadvertantly setting a thing or 2 wrong in your BIOS.
      There may also be settings that enable Windows to control the power down/off functions through the BIOS. -- APM/APCI
      The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr T
        Oh, by the way, I have checked and rechecked the Power SW and Reset SW connections to the mobo. Made sure they were from the right switch, etc.

Help! I don't want to turn my machine on and off from the PSU everytime I want to boot.
        Andy, it was specifically said that the instructions were checked and rechecked...

i can only suggest trying some possible variations on what the manual says, and what might lok more correct on the connectors...

have u tried just using a screwdriver to short the pins for pwr-on ((be careful doing this)), this is by far the easiest way to ensure that the pins being shorted are functional/correct, despite wot your OH&S officer might say ;)

it might be best to also check the APM/ACPI/power settings as mentioned, it is possible that there is something wrong there..

i could also suggest disconnecting all the other bits from the panel-connector-points and have only the pwr-on and reset switches connected, so as to rule out others "over-lapping"

it would be best to first rule out the possibility of a faulty switch first, use a screwdriver, u know u have to...

edit: it may also be possible your mobo has two places for the panel conections, one as a group two-rows high, the other as a single row of connection points along the mobo edge, if u have this, try using the other set of connections to whichever u currently have....

Comment

Thanks you guys. Indeed, you were right. The problem was soemwhere in the BIOS settings. I didn't find out exactly which setting(s) though. What I did was I reset all the BIOS settings to SAFE MODE. It immediately solved the problem.
          Gracias!!!

Comment

Working...
          X