No announcement yet.

250 watts used for motherboard of P4 computer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 250 watts used for motherboard of P4 computer?

Can I use a 250 watts power supply for a motherboard of Pentium 4 cpu? How about using a 300 watts power supply for a celeron cpu?

The thing will be if it's an approved PSU as it requires it to have an extra 4 pin motherboard power connector which is square in shape. ;)
    <center>:cheers:</center>

Comment

since celeron 1.7Ghz and pentium 4 processor uses the socket 478, does that mean that celeron 1.7Ghz must also use a 300 watts PSU?

Which motherboard did u mean that has an extra 4 pin power connector which is square in shape? Is it the socket 370 or socket 478?

If the 250watts PSU has the same connector for the Pentium 4 motherboard, is it safe to use the 250 watts for P4?

Comment

by the way, does all approved 250 watts PSU has the same power connector?

Comment

If it's "P4 Approved" then it will but I'd suggest stickin' with 300W PSU in case of future upgrades. ;)
          <center>:cheers:</center>

Comment

I've used a 150 watt power source to pwer a celeron 2.1 gig onboard lan, video, usb, cd-rom and floppy. I don't think it'll do much more. I had to make the 4 pin connector though.

Comment

All socket 478 mobos have the 4pin connector.

Comment

using a 250 watt ps is cutting it close... you have to understand that when you plug in a hard drive, cd rom, video card, modem, networking card, sound card, etc... that each item takes power... then you have your P4 trying to pull enough power to keep it from crashing. I take it you have a 1.? Ghz chip? the voltage on that chip is lower than say the 2.? ghz chip, but still, you need to have enough power for everything... power supplies are cheap... you can get a 400 watt for about 50 dollars if you look around.. personally on all my P4's, I have 500 watt power supplies... I usually have at least 2 hard drives and a DVD and CD burner...

Comment

Working...
                X