Help on booting.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help on booting.

I'm having a hard time booting my computer through the floppy drive. I wonder what's wrong with my PC but I can't boot on my floppy. It will say "Disk Boot failure, Insert system disk and press enter". I have tried two boot disk and all have the same problem.

What could be the reason for this?

By the way, I tried all kind of combination on the 1st, 2nd and 3rd boot on the bios, but I still can't get it working. I even tried placing as floppy on the 1st, 2nd and 3rd boot. When I place at least one of the boot to the HDD-0, it will work since I have installed OS on my harddisk. My problem is only on how to boot through my floppy.

Here's my rig:
    AMD Athlon 1.0 Ghz
    128 MB SDRAM
    RedFox motherboard
    Seagate 40 GB Harddisk.

Maybe simple as a bad connection at data or power cable.
    Could be a bad drive, cable, controller, power cable.
    Make sure the boot up floppy seek is enabled in the BIOS. And that the correct type of drive is selected in the options.

Have to take it one step at a time, starting with the free stuff.

They make floppy drive cleaning disks too.
    The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

Comment

I'm sure the floppy doesn't have any problem. I have tried booting through my harddisk and see the files on my floppy disk through windows explorer and I was able to see it. I also tried another floppy disk with a document file and I was able to open it. So I guess the floppy drive isn't the culprit.

The Boot up floppy Seek in the Bios has also been set to enabled already.

You've written this on the post: "And that the correct type of drive is selected in the options.". Where shall I specify the correct type of drive?

Who make floppy drive cleaning disk?

Comment

It would be in the standard CMOS setup - where your IDE drives are listed. It would be a 1.44MB @3.5" - but that is probably good, though it never hurts to check.

Sounds like your bootdisk may be the problem:?:
        Bootdisk, Boot Disk, Windows Boot disk, XP Bootdisk, 98 Boot Disk, Setup Disk, Startup Disk, NTFS Bootdisk
        The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

Comment

I checked on my 1.44 disk drive on bios and it was set to drive A.

I tried the 2 bootdisk that I used on another computer and both of them worked. It doesn't function only if I use it on the problematic PC. So I guess it's not the bootdisk that causes the problem.

Comment

Have you tried swapping with a known good Floppy drive and cable?
            Make sure the onboard FDD controller is enabled in the BIOS - go through the BIOS and be certain the settings are correct for the floppy, being sure to save any changes.

I'm beginning to run out of ideas here:confused:

Comment

Where can I see the settings for onboard FDD controller?

I haven't tried changing another floppy drive and cable but I think there nothing wrong with the drive cause I can read files from my floppy drive when I use wndows explorer.

Comment

Comment

I have found out what really is the cause of the problem. It's the floppy drive that has a problem. Although the FDD can still be use to read files, it cannot recognized a boot disk. That's why I got this error.

It made me conclude on this when I tried changing the FDD with another one and it can boot on any kind of boot disk.

Comment

Glad you finally came around to swapping drives, and even happier that it worked:thumb:

You can try cleaning it;

or replace it for a few bucks

Comment

Working...
                    X