Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Athlon 1.4Ghz Vs Athlon XP 2000+

Yet another question,

What's the real performance difference between the 1.4Ghz Athlon and the Athlon XP 2000+? I'm not sure which way to go, I'd like to go the way of the XP 2000+, but it's well over twice the price of a 1.4Ghz Athlon. Is all that extra cost worth it?

You probably wouldn't notice the difference whichever you had....they are both bloody quick.......

If you've got the money, the mobo and the memory (DDR) you'd have to go XP but if you have a KT133A mobo then the Tbird1400 would be the cheapest and best option. I'm still happy with my 1200 at 1466 and can see no performance reason (or sufficient jump) to go with the XP's yet......when the Hammers come that'll be something different..

Good luck...you'll get a great solution whichever way you go...depends on your cash and what you've got now

Comment

I'm about to have a PC shuffle in my home network which means my current work computer will become a server, my games PC become my work PC. This means I'll have to buy a new Mobo, CPU and 256MB RAM for my games PC. I'd probably take the DDR option no matter what.

If I go the XP path, this will cost around $1000

If I go the Athlon 1.4Ghz path, it'll cost around $650

If you reckon there isn't much of a performance difference between them, I might go for the Athlon 1.4 Ghz pth.:confused:

Comment

i would go the XP path. they produce less heat, meaning you don't have to get such powerful cooling to keep the temps down

get an athlon 1600+ to 1800+ and it should bring the price down by a few hundred $'s
        TweakTown SETI@home Team

Comment

If you are up for a new mobo anyway...you should go for the XP..the Athlon line is finito and the XP line will give you some upgrade path till the Hammers arrive......like I said if you only need a chip then go the TB1400 otherwise if you are up for a mobo anyway then the XP is the best bet.

Comment

Sheesh...
            I must remember to login after I've cleared the cache and the cookies....
            I must remember to login after I've cleared the cache and the cookies....
            I must remember to login after I've cleared the cache and the cookies...

Comment

I am perfectly happy with my T-bird. If you can get by with a Tb, then save your money for the Hammer. If you are gonna use it for gaming, either one is overkill anyway. I don't see any difference between my Tb and 600Mz Athlon. The Hammer may be a different story. The money you save now, may be a month that you don't have to save up to get the Hammer.

Just another angle to consider.
              Have you hugged a Midget today?

Comment

as always, if money is no object, go the best of the best, but if money is an object, id get the XP 1600+ as its roughly te same price as the 1.4 (~+$10) and is more 'future-proof'

Comment

oh, but it also depends on the rest of your system

ie no point gettin a 1.6ghz cpu if you only ahave a TNT1 16mb ...

let me guess where the bottleneck would be there... hrmmm :)

Comment

How much less wattage does a XP1600 use than a T-Bird 1400...?

I think a TBird uses 73 watts?

Wattage used is EXACTLY Equivalent to heat given off in 99.99% of electricity using devices. Exception, FM broadcaster.

Comment

It's pretty close to 10watts actually. :smokin:

Comment

heh, nope.......

Think about it wiggo.... how much heat comes off a 60 Watt lightbulb... Feels roughly equivalent to reaching in near your HSf...

Here is a chart that goes up to Athlon 750....

Memory now tells me that an Athlon Thunderbird 1.4 consumes 68 watts...

I'll keep looking for a more up to date chart....

Comment

This was true as of "May 05, 2000"
                          Athlons consume plenty of watts of power. The fastest ones are up around 60 watts peak
                          http://www.amdzone.com/articleview.cfm?ArticleID=205

Many processors have come out since then... oh just found this...

"Athlon 1400 clocked at 1533MHz....produces over 90 watts of heat running at 1.533GHz with a Vcore of 1.88 volts"

and with search terms highlighted...

I was unable to find anything on XP processors, so that remains as my question, how much less power do they use???

Comment

well when i bought my 1600+xp athlon 1400MHz i got if for 250$ here in MN. and it's working good for me

bild my full new system not with moniter for about 1300$ total look below for spec.

right now this computer 1600+ xp is running 1410 MHz core is +1.78V

the temp is not to bad 48 idal and 53 running full boar

Comment

"I'd like to go the way of the XP 2000+, but it's well over twice the price of a 1.4Ghz Athlon."

I'm going with the xp1800. By backing off a step from top of the line you get a very significant pice break and not that much of a performance hit. the 1800+ seems like the seet spot to me right now.

Comment

Working...
                              X