WTF happend last 4 days to tweaktown?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WTF happend last 4 days to tweaktown?

about 4 days ago I went to this site and it said that the bandwidth limit was reached for this site and some 409 error.What happend? you guys get dos attacked or something?:?:

Not that we know of, we reached a set bandwidth limit with has now been disabled.
    Cameron "Mr.Tweak" Wilmot
    Managing Director
    Tweak Town Pty Ltd

Comment

how much bandwidth were you using?

Comment

It hit around 400gb for the month.
        Cameron "Mr.Tweak" Wilmot
        Managing Director
        Tweak Town Pty Ltd

Comment

So the limit is cumulative for the Month? It's not some instantaneous measurement of use? Like kilowatthours?
          :-(

Comment

It is cumulative since most hosts provide a set maximum number of Gigabytes that it will allow a site to utilize. Our host set that number to 400GB since they didn't think that we would hit that number, thus allowing for what would normally be unlimited bandwidth. It is a setting in the primary host server package, but it has now been completely disabled so we won't have this happen again.

Just a small growing pain since we have just recently moved to this host for TweakTown. If this is the worst that happens, then I'll call it good. :D
            Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
            My Toys

Comment

how many people have to be on your site untill its hits 400 gb a sec bandwidth? or is that 400 gb of total data transmission over one month:?:

Comment

Originally posted by Darthtanion
                It is cumulative since most hosts provide a set maximum number of Gigabytes that it will allow a site to utilize.
                I don't think it would be possible for a site to maintain anywhere close to 400GB/sec bandwidth unless they had a full fledged backbone at their disposal. Even our network we have set up at work doesn't get this speed and it runs off a dual fiber optics cable.
                My Toys

Comment

you mean this site has 400 gb of info on it?

Comment

I'd like to point out, that with the discomfort of the site being down, the forum was still available.

TweakTown Forums is a community resource for computer and tech support and general chat!

The conversations were a bit sparse at times, as many didn't realize they could still drop in here during the painful event.

So while the articles were unavailable, we were able to gather for a bit of mutual support and group therapy:laugh:
                    The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

Comment

There seems to be a little bit of a misunderstanding about the mechanics of websites, so let me see if I can straighten this up...

The host server was set to 400GB of total bandwidth for a given amount of time (monthly in our case). This does not have to be a 400GB/sec or 400GB of total content, but a total of 400GB of data being broadcast via the host servers. Even if I have a single picture of 100KB, if it is viewed enough times it will add up to 400GB. Every time that picture is accessed, that adds another 100KB to the cumulative total that is adding up. Every time you bring up a page here in the forums, the amount of data required to show that page is transmitted to your machine (yes, there are caches aboard most systems that help in this endeavor and save you time, but that is another story for another time).

Now, since our host server did not think that we would conceivably hit this 400GB limit, it was felt that this would be enough to effectively give our site the promised "unlimited bandwidth". Since this was not the case, that limiting barrier was just removed so that we won't have any chance for this problem coming up again.

Hope this helps. :)
                      My Toys

Comment

Working...
                      X