Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• R350 on 0.13 nu in 30 days?

nvnews has this to say about a router article:

Dave Rolston, ATI's vice president of engineering, said at a Goldman Sachs technology conference yesterday that their R350 graphics chipset would be "coming out, say, within the next 30 days." He went on to say that the R350 will be the best-performing chip through at least the end of the calendar year.

Quote:
    The R350 chip will be the high-end successor to ATI's Radeon 9700 chip. A new version of that chip geared toward the mainstream market is also coming in the next 30 days, he said.

That Radeon 9700 variant will be built using 130 nanometer technology, or .13 micron, which is a reference to the size of the feature sets on the chips. The .13 micron technology promises better speeds and lower costs than past standards, like .15 micron.

The full routers article is here

I'm just wondering if maybe the routers reported didn't understand what was being said. Up till now everyone's said that R350 was going to be 0.15.

Now that the 9500 on 9700 Pro PCB is impossible to get I think I'll wait for this. Though I wonder if it isn't really going to be 45 days. heh.

Someone please clue me in. I thought three new cards were coming out and I thought that the R350 would be a refined R300? Now its a 4 pipeline card that is also supposed to be the most powerful for a year?!?!

:confused:

www.theinquirer.net

Comment

R350 and RV350 are not the same thing

R350 will be the Radeon9800 (?) & will be the successor to the Radeon9700

RV350 will be the Radeon9600(?) & will be the successor to the Radeon 9600....this is the cutdown 4 pipeline GPU.

Once again - this is all speculation until the actual release

Comment

: omg:

Woops forgot about RV vs. R.

But still in the first article by nvNews and Routers it seems to say that R350 will be 0.13 nu.

So R350 = Radeon 9800 Pro
        And
        RV350 = Radeon 9600

still kind of wondering about the R350/9800 being 0.13

Comment

Originally posted by SmokeyTheBalrog

still kind of wondering about the R350/9800 being 0.13
          Everything I've read about the R350 suggested that it would be a .15um part....maybe it will be .13

sounds like we may find out for sure in the next week or 2:wow:

Comment

From my two past posts on this subject, the information i had said that the 9800 would be on a 0.15 micron while the 9600 would be on a 0.13. I think it is a bit wierd that ATI even bothered to make the 9500 as only a month or two after its release they plan to replace it. Why did they even make the card?? anyone know??:cheers:

Comment

I was under the impression that the R400 was coming out this summer. Hmmmm... Maybe ATI is going to re-work it to compete with the NV40, since the R350 will obviously take the crown over the NV30. If that's the case, then I will definitely be getting an R350 variant, one with 256megs (9800 Pro?) when they hit the streets. Shwiiiing!! :thumb:

Comment

Originally posted by rugbydude
                [B]From my two past posts on this subject, the information i had said that the 9800 would be on a 0.15 micron while the 9600 would be on a 0.13. I think it is a bit wierd that ATI even bothered to make the 9500 as only a month or two after its release they plan to replace it. Why did they even make the card?? anyone know??:cheers:
                Perhaps they were unsure of the 0.13 technology and wanted to have all bases covered rather then leave an opening for a couple of months that would stay open if there were any problems in manufacturing.

Also, this way imperfect 9700 chips can still be sold as 9500 improving profits.

Also, about the R350/9800 Pro thats why I'm a little confused and looking for more info. Everything I read too also said that R350 was 0.15. But if it's 0.13 that's freakin cool!

Man I would love a R350 w/256 but unless it?s out in 30 days or so I don't think I'll be able to wait that long. I may not be able to wait for the R350 at all.

Rhetorical question: R350 + nForce dual Athlon...Man!:blowkiss: Why can't this stuff be out now!?!? (If the dual Athlon is true at all):cry:

Comment

Working...
                X