8RDA+ onboard sound vs. SB Live! 5.1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 8RDA+ onboard sound vs. SB Live! 5.1

I just got my hands on an Epox 8RDA+ (I've already update my sig - even though it's not in my box yest :D)

....in the past - I've always disabled onboard sound in favour of my SB Live 5.1....but since the SB card is a little out dated & the nForce onboard sound is supposed to be pretty good - I was thinking I might just stick with the nforce sound.

4/5/6 channel sound isn't important to me - I use a 2.1 speaker system and don't see changing that anytime soon

any opinions?

I also chose an nForce board for the onboard sound. My old board required an Audigy Gamer card for the Altec Lansing 251 5.1 speakers I found (For $50! :)). The onboard sound is GREAT! I honestly can't hear any difference, and I really like that it doesn't take up another PCI slot. There's also no struggle with Creative drivers, etc... I'm no audiophile, but the nForce sound is MORE than enough to scare the goo outta me when playing intense games...I'm sure you know this already, but if your sound is mostly for music, the 5.1 sound does you little good. Most songs are not recorded in Dolby 5.1 and you'll only get the front stereo channels anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by Wordbiker
      ...I'm sure you know this already, but if your sound is mostly for music, the 5.1 sound does you little good. Most songs are not recorded in Dolby 5.1 and you'll only get the front stereo channels anyway.
      I only bought the 5.1 version of the SB - because it was the cheapest Live! version my dealer had at the time

I tried a 5.1 speaker system breifly (creative 5300's:thumbs do ) - but went back to a pretty good pair of AL 2.1's & plan to stay with them

Comment

In all the reviews I've read, the nForce sound is comparable to the better Creative cards. If you ever DO feel the need for surround, I seriously doubt you'll be disappointed...The software is pretty darn nice as well. Plenty of options, nearly as many as the Audigy, minus EAX (Which never worked all that well for me). Of course, my speakers are analog and don't use the full realm of sound available. : peace2: :cheers:

Comment

I think I'll give the onboard sound a chance....I can always go back to the SB if I change my mind

.....plus there's the bonus of not having to deal with Creative drivers:D

Comment

Yeah, my computer is the first I ever built, and if it wasn't for forums like this one, I would have never known how to get past an Audigy/XP installation. Personally, I'm GLAD to be rid of it....
            Anyone wanna buy a VERY slightly used Audigy Gamer card? I'll even throw in the software, but the box is long gone...:D

Comment

I'll probably end up putting the SB in my box at work...it only has integrated AC97 sound at the moment w/ a little pair of Altec Lansing ACS33's....but an SB might mke the MP3's sound a bit better when I crank 'em up Saturday mornings :cool:

Comment

Working...
              X