ok, its upgrade time folks, here is what i need:
    CPU
    HSF
    Mobo
    RAM
    Case

here is what i've come up with so far:
    CPU: Athlon XP - i'll choose the speed when it comes to actually buying it
    HSF: Dunno - any suggestions darth?, looking for something pretty cheap and pretty quiet, but still have the best performance possible, ideas?
    Mobo: Dunno - so many to choose from, i'm gonna leave about $300-$350($150-$175 US) for the mobo, ideas?
    RAM: 512 Megs of DDR from <brand> (dunno)
    Case: deciding between Aopen H600A and the Aopen HX 45, i already know Al's opinion on the H600A but does anyone else have opinions about these cases, or any other that might be worth considering?, i want a mid tower BTW, full tower is too hard to get to LANs

EDIT: Added DDR to RAM catagory, even tho i should have remembered to do it b4
    TweakTown SETI@home Team

Mobo: Go with a VIA KT266A chipset based motherboard, of course... wings:
    RAM: Kingmax or Crucial DDR PC2100 SDRAM

Comment

RAM should be DDR PC-2700
      MOBO HAS to be an EpoX :) :D
      CPU fastest ya can get :)
      At the request of wiggo ;)

Comment

With the heatsink, I'd recommend anything from Global Win! :thumb:

Comment

CPU: Athlon XP, 1600+ or 1700+ is the best bang-for-the-buck ATM

HSF: If you hate noise the ThermalTake Volcano 6Cu is pretty good (and cheap), don't get the 6Cu+ as it has a 7000RPM fan

Mobo: The AOpen AK77 Pro A if you don't need RAID, the AK77 Plus A if you do (both have the KT266A chipset)

RAM: 512MB of Apacer PC-2100 DDR. This is extremely overclockable, I have got it running on other machines at 144MHz CAS-2, most impressive.

Case: AOpen H600A... the HX45a is nice but only 6 drive bays, the H600A has 9. Also the H600A has front panel USB and Audio, and 5 fan bays (1 fan supplied). As someone here said, the "poor man's PC-60" :D

There you go :thumb:
          What came first - Insanity or Society?

Comment

Gee, we are a helpful bunch aren't we! :cheers:

Comment

also, one more thing(which probably deserves its own thread but i can't be bothered :p):

2x 256 or 1x 512?

are there any performance drops or raises with using either config?
              TweakTown SETI@home Team

Comment

There is no performance difference, but at the moment it is cheaper to get 2 x 256MB - like I just got for my friend :)

Comment

Originally posted by Andy
                  also, one more thing(which probably deserves its own thread but i can't be bothered :p):

2x 256 or 1x 512?

are there any performance drops or raises with using either config?
                  No, if there is it wouldn't be noticable. For stability go the 1x 512mb.

Comment

CPU:
                    Don't know about the Land Down Under, but here in the States, the 1800+ is the sweet spot for processors at the moment.

Mainboard:
                    KT266A is a must (as has been said before). I have heard the best things so far about the EPoX and Abit boards. Depends on whether you need RAID really as the Abit one offers that as an option and the EPoX doesn't (yet?).

Memory:
                    Crucial... PERIOD

Case:
                    That's a hard one as the case comes down to a matter of personal choice. Without taking in the obvious quality of holding all your gear, it serves the least amount of actual use when compared to the other components, so it's really a matter of what is pleasing to YOUR eye.

Heatsink:
                    If it matters at all, the heatsink that I use daily on my system is the Dr. Thermal TI-V86N. It impressed me, and the retention system is a breakthrough that has been long needed for quality coolers.

Good luck. :thumb:
                    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
                    My Toys

Comment

here is an updated list :):

CPU: Athlon XP - i'll choose the speed when it comes to actually buying it, choice will depend on funds
                      HSF: Dunno - but i'll research a bit more
                      Mobo: Dunno - Abit or Epox mobo with the KT266A Chipset
                      RAM: 512 Megs of Crucial DDR PC-2700
                      Case: Midtower - Aopen H600A or Aopen HX45, choice will depend on funds
                      TweakTown SETI@home Team

Comment

[b]Originally posted by Andy
                        Case: Midtower - Aopen H600A or Aopen HX45, choice will depend on funds

Save up for the H600A..... you won't regret it :thumb:

Comment

I was going to recommend the Antec line of cases, but it's my understanding that they are not readily available in Australia. :(

To bad... they kick some economy sized butt! :thumb:
                          Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
                          My Toys

Comment

Actually Darth they are now under the name of Macase though they are a little pricey. Check this thread for more details. http://www.tweaktown.com/vbulletin/s...p;threadid=177 ;)
                            <center>:cheers:</center>

Comment

Working...
                            X