PS-2 specs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PS-2 specs

What are the specs on this thing? I've taken it apart,but the heat sink covering the entire board dose'nt reveal much
    I was just wondering if anyone knew what kind of processor it uses,type of ram graphics......:?: :bounce:

Well it has roughly 300 mhz processor, only 32 mg's of ram(very contravertial but sony said thats all they neaded) and its very own emotion engine for graphics. The emotion engine has a 150 mhz clock speed and is capable of 75 million polygons per second. While this is quite low compared to X-Box the graphical quality is very similer.
    P.S. By the way you just voided your warrenty

Comment

Sorry i forgot to add that the sound is 48 sound channel dolby 5.1 surround sound and that the 32 mg's or ram is RAMBUS DRAM:devil:

Comment

muahhahah we need a revolution brother one where we aren't worried about warratys being voided.WE must explore!:flames: :flames: :devil win :devil win :thumb: :thumb:

Comment

Still one question though...how does a 300hmz processor,32 mb of rdram dram,and an emotion engine, load 4.3 gigabyte games in seconds and never hangs,always boots up in seconds, and kicks the crap out of any pc's gaming performance....:cry: :cry: :cry: :grr: :grr: :grr:

Comment

Because, like most things, you shouldn't rely on specifications to judge products... It's like Mac CPUs vs x86 CPUs... clock speed is only half, but still performs close to the same...

Comment

True,but still, how is the ps2 able to be so efficient and fast? with only specs that would have been blazing fast 4 years ago

Comment

Again, because you are only looking at specs, and not how the machine uses them. First of all, you can't compare consoles to personal computers in relation to clock speeds. That's just not right. With consoles, they are made for one purpose only - gaming. This means the producer of the console can build the machine with instruction sets and procedures that will be benefical to games, and that developers know exactly what they are working with when they create their games, and can refine the system.

There's no large variety of configurable software / hardware on consoles, nor is there going to be various drivers to work with, or conflicting hardware, nor major operating systems that are made for many things. What you see is pretty much what you get in a console. As opposed to a PC where there's hundreds of operating systems, millions of configurations of hardware / software, applications for who knows what, and the ability to pretty much run anything. PC's aren't made just for gaming, and no operating system represents this.

So again, forget specification comparisons between PCs and consoles...

Comment

to bad they can't make windows gaming edition.

Comment

it still wouldn't work. As people have various hardware configurations, different software, etc... there will never be anything like that.

Comment

yer for consoles there is just one set design and the games are specifically designed for that console so they r tested. the reason games on pc are slightly less decenbt is because everyone ahs a different harware configuration. Pc's hardrives are ***** aswell coz they slow it down loadin up note. most console have no o.s. so they dont need a big hard drive to store **** just a small memory card.

Comment

:idea: Hmmmm You're right......but I notice on some systems like the alienware that I get to play on sometimes at Bestbuy(one of our local computer/eletronic/appliance stores.) Is really fast and runs the games it plays very smoothly. So I gather from what you guys are saying that there is a way to configure a computer for one specific task and make it run games faster.

Comment

Umm, not really. It's probably simply the fact that it's a good computer.

Comment

Someone will figure it out someday I hope(How to hack windows into use resources for games only)

Comment

Simple fact that alienware computers are designed for extreme games with all the best hardware for that job. Just as the ps-2 is designed for games and not a big o/s.:cheers:

Comment

Working...
                              X