Help Stuttering graphics GeForce TI4200

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help Stuttering graphics GeForce TI4200

I just bought an Acer Aspire 8000 System box.
    It's got an XP2000 AMD Athlon processor running at 1.67GHz.

I transfrerred my Geforce 4 TI4200 card 64 Mb ( made by Daytona ) into th e new system box which runs Windows XP

The driver I am using is the latest I think, 6.13.10.4109 under direct X 8.1

The problem is that th egpraphics stutter. When I run 3dMark I get good frame rates but every 32 or 3 s they drop down low and then come up again. At the same time there is a split second pause or freeze on the screen which is getting annoying !!

The card didnt do this before, when it was in my P3 700 machine.

Another funny is that on boot up a message appears ssaying that the card has 60Mb of memory but it should have 64 Mb.

Anyone got any ideas??
    Thanks

It sounds like you had some sort of inbred graphics before? If so, then you'll need to make sure that you disable it within the system BIOS and also make sure that any drivers needed for it are removed before installing the new Ti4200 board.

And if you didn't have onboard video before, then you'll still need to remove any instances of the old video drivers so that you don't run into conflicts.

And if all else fails, then reinstall Windows. Drastic, but almost always guaranteed to work. Umm... you DID get your system with a real Windows disk didn't you? Not just a stupid Restore Disk?
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

Comment

Thanks for the advice
      I think this PC did have onboard graphics but when I bought it the guys in the PC shop put my graphics card into it.

I'll check the BIOS etc and I can do a total reinstall of the card's drivers etc.

I do have Windows XP on 2 CDS which are Restore.

The PC was an Acer Aspire 8000, just the system box as I already had a monitor

It's an odd problem, at first you might not notice it but if you follow an object on the screen then every 2 or 3 s it momentarily seems to pause and then continue. The actual image quality is superb, it's just the odd stop start thing.....

dave

Comment

check that the card is seated in properly. DIable the onboard video in the BIOS (if any) and install the latest drivers. (although i think that the drivers were not the fault.) Please remember to uninstall the drivers for the onboard video.

Comment

Something really weird happened to the PC last night.

In XP I rolled back the latest Nvidia driver 41.09 to see what would happen.

When the machine booted up th egraphics was back to 4 bit quality and I had to reboot it again and reinstall the latest Nvidia driver from a CD

I left it once th egraphics were back to normal and went to bed. This morning....... well, the drive light is STILL flashing BUT the graphics and sound have stopped stuttering !!!!?????

On 3dMArk my score of 6942 when the frame rate kept dropping out has now gone up, after running the tests again to 8637!!

I am so pleased that the problem has ( "touch wood" ) gone away BUT I DON'T KNOW WHY !!!!!!!

Thanks to anyone who suggested anything.

I wonder if the XP operating system takes a while to respond to any changes that are made in it ??????

dave

Comment

You rolled back and then reinstalled the drivers? The system may have just had a hiccup when it loaded the Detonators the first time around. Glad things worked out well for you. :)
            Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
            My Toys

Comment

Working...
            X