Multiple Hard Drives

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Multiple Hard Drives

I have 2 HDD's in my computer now, a 60 gig and 80 gig. If I buy one of the new Western Digital 200 gig HDD's with a controller card provided, will i be able to use all 3 HDD's if I hook one of them up to the controller card provided? I read somewhere that this was possible and I just want to make sure before buying another HD. Thanks in advance.

Yes it is quite possible and the only hassle ya may have is if ya wish to boot from it (better just to boot from ya mobo IDE channels unles ya goin' RAID). ;)
    <center>:cheers:</center>

Comment

Originally posted by Oyeman74
      I have 2 HDD's in my computer now, a 60 gig and 80 gig. If I buy one of the new Western Digital 200 gig HDD's with a controller card provided, will i be able to use all 3 HDD's if I hook one of them up to the controller card provided? I read somewhere that this was possible and I just want to make sure before buying another HD. Thanks in advance.
      Go for it Oyeman74. I added the WD 2000JB HD using their controller card to my Dell Precision 330, which had 2-40 Gig HD's already. It was no problem at all. Still boot to the original C: drive as Wiggo recommends above. The new 200 Gig drive became drive H: on my system. The instructions do assume you are going to make the new drive your Boot drive, so, make sure you set it correctly, if you are just adding it.

Good luck.
      :-(

Comment

How do you ensure the drive is not a boot drive? I have a WD 120GB partitioned as my CDE drives and I want to use my 180GB IBM HD to use as my F G and H drives, ie: no boot drive. How do you ensure it is not a boot drive when you format it or install the HD? (I have not installed the IBM yet).

Comment

Just be sure that the new drive is the slave and you'll have no probs with it (other than it bein' an IBM Deathstar).

Comment

Thanks. I've now got everything working ok or so it seems. My 6 partitions are CDE on the WD 120GB and FGH on the IBM 180GB. I was able to format the IBM using the Windows XP NTFS format tool but I notice the shop where I had the guys install my WD 120 GB the C is listed as a primary drive and the D and E are listed as logical drives. Is there a difference between it being a logical drive or a primary drive? Since I only have the C drive formatted as a primary drive I can also have the D and E also formatted to a primary drive too correct (as long as I do not go over 4 right?)?

Is there an advantage (speed or stability or flexibility) to having the drive as a logical versus a primary drive?

Comment

Working...
            X