kinda complex Hard Drive ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• kinda complex Hard Drive ?

Okay, I bought a dell, I know, I know, but the price was right :)
    Craziest, thing, tho, it smelled like dope, go figure....haha

Anyway, It has a puny 30 Gig HDD in it, and I'm gonna put an 80 gig in tomorrow, so here's my question.

Since I'll have 2 hdds, do I need to set the larger as the master? or does it really matter?

And the kicker is, I really need to keep the stuff on the 30, b/c the guy that had it b4 me installed some really cool progs, but didn't send me the install discs. So If I set the 80 as the master, I lose all the stuff on the 30, b/c it has XP on it and you can't really have 2 drives w/ 2 different (bt the same) OS's on them can you?

I'll also be installing a burner tomorrow, so I could probably ghost those for backup, will that work?

Wheh, if I don't have you thouroughly confused, ask me anything else you need to know and I'll probably confuse you with the next answer :?: :?: :?:

TIA

All i can say is that it is possible to have XP on two hard drives. Hell i've even had two copies on the same hard drive:laugh:

Comment

Since I'll have 2 hdds, do I need to set the larger as the master? or does it really matter?

Doesn't matter. It's up to you which you which you have where.

And the kicker is, I really need to keep the stuff on the 30, b/c the guy that had it b4 me installed some really cool progs, but didn't send me the install discs. So If I set the 80 as the master, I lose all the stuff on the 30, b/c it has XP on it and you can't really have 2 drives w/ 2 different (bt the same) OS's on them can you?

You can have as many OSes installed as you want. If you simply stick in another drive, then whichever is set as the boot partition will boot. Normally if you install them in a certain order, then you'll get a boot menu, but throwing drives in won't get the boot menu to select.

I'll also be installing a burner tomorrow, so I could probably ghost those for backup, will that work?

Can, but why bother...

Comment

The 30gb drive might be only 5400rpm (knowing Dell). If that is the case, you would want your new 7200rpm (right?) to be the boot drive. Why not Ghost the old drive to the new one if that is the case?

Comment

my thoughts exactly about the 30 g, I think it is 5400, the 80 gig is 7200, but here's my newest problem...
          I ghosted my 30 gig to the 80 and everything seems okay, so then I put the 80 gig at the end of the cable with the jumper on cable select, and the 30 on the middle of the cable. Still shows the 30 as c: and the 80 as f: Is this normal? How do I change all this? Since the ghost went okay, I want to get rid of the stuff on the 30, by reformatting and then using for other stuff. Do I need to set the jumpers to master and slave, or will the end result be the same?
          Thanks!
          Jme

(XP Pro, btw)

Comment

if they are on cable select, then swapping the drives on the cable will change the way they are, as far as I know. I personally set drives to master / slave manually, but that's just me.

You can set the drive letters to what they should be, but how you do it escapes me at the moment. When I get home from work I'll check it out.

Comment

You could just change the name of the drives could you not:confused:

Comment

That's not going to acheive anythin

Comment

Well, it's all a moot point now, I lost everything, both HDDs crashed for some unknown reason and now it won't even recognize the 30 g in the bios. Oh well, the good part about a Dell is the warranty. :)

Comment

Working...
                  X