Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AAAAARGH - any help???

Originally posted by polancod
    So anybody knows if there is any way to get the info back? Data-retrieving companies? Can I sue these people somehow, take them to the citizen's or consumer's bureau? Does the fact that there is a small banner somewhere in the shop saying that I have to back up everything mean that they are untouchable even if they delete all the info without even asking first? And does it make any sense saying that if you change the systemboard then you lose all the info on your hard drive and that customers are supposed to know about it even if they have never studied computing in their lives?
    First off, sorry to hear what happened. But to address your questions here...

1) There are several good quality data retreival companies, I know we use one in British Columbia, Canada but I'd have to look for their name (will post when I get that information).
    2) Can you sue? Let me address that in #3
    3) Let me put it this way... Courts have ruled that a small banner the says "You are being video taped" or such as "This store is video taped at all times" legally allows that store to put video cameras everywhere (legally, they can even put them in the bathrooms)... So if they do have a banner there that is in view, then no, you cannot sue them, and yes they are untouchable for this incident.
    4) Should they have asked you first? Well, in my store, when someone comes in, and I feel there may be a need to have to reformat the system, I ask them flat out, "Okay if all else fails, the hard drive may need to be wiped." (depending on the problem of course.) And I make sure that they are okay with that BEFORE they leave the store. When / if we do need to format their machine, there is always a CALL TO THEM before we go any further with the machine, as well, we're computer users too, and I'd hate to bring my machine in and have someone do what happened to you without talking to me first. If they don't want us to wipe the drive, then that's fine, we won't. If we feel that it'll fix the problems and/or be a quick way to save them some more labour time, then yes I'll suggest it, but if they don't have backups, I will ask that if they have anything they wish to backup, that they could compose a list, and drop it off at the shop. When they do, if they're 100% certain they have everything, then I get them to sign a spot on the work order stating that we aren't responsible for data loss since well basically, they've just concented for us to analy rape their machine (forgive the terminology heh).
    5) Whenever possible, I try and uninstall EVERY SINGLE DRIVER in the system before I change mainboards if the hard drive cannot be reformatted, and/or the user does not what this to happen. If it cannot be helped, then I explain to them that while they may NOT have any problems, many people do have issues without doing a clean install, but for the most part, a lot of people don't have a problem, but it is ideal when you replace a board to reformat. UNLESS..

Unless of course the board is of the same make, model and revision number as the board that is being replaced. Then what I do is, I put the peripheral cards back into the same PCI slots they came out of (on the back of each work order we have a little layout of a basic motherboard w/ 6 pci slots that you write in what device was taken out of where... and in the event of say identical lan cards, serial numbers are written down so the proper lan card gets put in the proper socket).

There are many things these guys should've done that they didn't... unfortunately, right now, all I can say to you is, you got 1 of 3 choices. 1) Take your business elsewhere (recommended); 2) Continue to go to this shop, but observing their regulations for future incidents; or 3) Get yourself more and more pissed off by dealing with these guys trying to get "closure" (wrong context, but it'll work heh) over this issue. If you like you can report them to the better buisness buerau (or whatever is equivilant in your country) ... but I'd only do that if there's a few things present... 1) You can't see their sign very well (eg., it's hanging from a 20' high ceiling almost completely out of view) or it's printed so small you can't read it.. or 2, you just want to be a dick :)

Please don't get me wrong 'bout my last comment, but simple little things like this can be worked out between customer and company providing both parties are calm and clean about the issues. Don't cloud your judgment with anger, it'll only make things worse, and try to appeal to their business sense... generally provke the best response :) Also, try and set up a meeting with someone if you decide to go this route, on a Tuesday or Thursday if at all possible ((tuesday is preferrable)... got a whole theory on this which is completely off topic and very lengthy, heh, just trust me on this one :)).

Anyway hope everything works out for ya, and I'll hunt for that name of the company we've sent data for retrieval (but I can't guarentee they will be able to help).

Comment

well, the way it was: I called this morning and they could hardly been ruder. There literal answer is "everybody knows that changing the motherboard means losing all the info, it's not my fault if you are stupid". Mine: "Im not so, and I doubt anybody at my office would have known either. We are photographers, we dont have to know about these things". Him: "Im sure if you ask everybody will know. I learnt it when I was eight".

So as you can see there are hardly very helpful. In fact they are rather agressive and that's why I want to go for them, because of their arrogance after charging me the earth (I still cant see where those $360 USD come from - from installing a motherboard?), ****ing me up and then saying it's my fault because Im "stupid".

Comment

I know one of the local shops here charges around $40-50 per hour on a normal basis...if you want it done pronto, the price basically doubles. That's where they make their cash. I've only paid for a service once and that was because I was trying to sort out weather or not I had some bad DDR and didn't have any other DDR systems at the time.

If I were you, I'd likely not go back to that store again with that kind of service (or lack thereof).

Comment

Listen,

That shop can be sued. Just because their banner says they are not responsible, does not mean they can't be taken to small claims court. If you wanted to, you could go to other computer stores that are certified in computer repair and you can ask them if they computer has a MOBO changed, does it wipe out all your data? Then you can get your lawyer to have them come to court and testify that NO replacing the motherboard does not require a reboot.. it is POSSIBLE that some of the feature of the motherboard will not work correctly, but that can be fixed without formatting. I have been in the business for more than 15 years... I never format a customers hard drive... and to pay what you did for the power supply and motherboard??? that is crazy... probably what happened is they found out your problem was with your sound card or your video card (because that same problem happened with me before and I figured out it was a defective card, and sometimes its because you have too many items plugged into your power strip and your computer doesn't get the required wattage, which causes it to reboot.
          Honestly, these guys messed up and they know they are in hot water if you want to go after them... you could... the rudeness is to throw you off... to make it seem like if they are rude, you won't mess with them...

:snip:

:spam:

Comment

Your right and your wrong man. Right in the fact he can go wherever he likes and ask other certified technicians the steps needed to do what was done, just for reference... and i'm sure all would gladly help (if they don't they're dickheads anyway :D). But back in all serious here, your wrong in that fact too.

Compare this to automotives. Each shop has their own way of doing things. The reason I want to compare this to an automotive repair shop is because people always ***** (and often are valid) bout being overcharged for service that wasn't needed.

Anyway, you take in your car, it has a problem... a simple little $50 (or whatever their labour rate is) problem, and you go back to pick up your car and you get a bill for $420. Odds are GREAT these days that they don't intentionally rip ya off, but do so indirectly. Eg., They didn't put enough time into properly diagnosing the problem, but they did get the problem fixed. Different strokes for different folks so to speak... each shop has their own policies, if you odn't like them, then you go to another shop...

If you like, you can waste money and try and sue them, but, odds are... I can almost guarentee you that you'll be taking a day off work and wasting money for nothing.

Edit: Oops forgot something...

This is more directed at fire... To get a machine working properly does not indicate "one or two devices on the motherboard may not function properly" .. When ya fix someone's machine, you get _EVERYTHING_ working properly... and ya cover your ass in the event of a situation like this... I may have only been in business in this industry for 5 years, but I can still tell ya that if ya don't cover your ass in the event of a case like this (were I'm ont saying they did the right thing, as you can read in my first reply), then you'll soon be sued many times wasting your valuable time all for nothing except to reinforce the fact that, we do things our way, you don't like it, there's plenty of other competition in town... We are the largest sales and repair shop in this region for a reason, but if you don't like it, oh well... Buh-bye :)

Comment

I agree, if you want to throw the money away with a lawyer, that is cool... but regardless of the outcome, that shop should have never done what they did... I'm not sure where you are from, but here in the states, I would have reported them to the BBB.

Comment

Read my first reply lol... Your repeating stuff I already said :)

If it were me, and I couldn't work something out with the company (eg., if I screw up someone's machine an accidentily do something I shouldn't, they don't pay a cent for any repairs on that machine for as long as they own the machine and bring it to us for repair).

I'm in Canada, and ya I'd report them to the BBB if I couldn't work something out with them :) But I would try and work something out with them... It's not often that me and my guys screw up but when we do, the customer ain't gonna be happy that's for sure, but we have a policy on what to do if you screw up (before ya think "Must happen a lot if they've got a policy" heh, it don't :) screwed up once this year and was my fault.... lack of sleep, but still no excuse.)

Anyway ya ;)

Comment

I think what you are saying is that you have a customer service policy... ??? anyway, yeah, I agree, you should try and work things out before going further... but if you read what the guy said, he has tried to go there twice and they were really rude to him... of course he could be pretty upset and approach them the wrong way which would automatically put anybody on the defence... basically, he was screwed over... For starters, what type of PC is this? is it a clone or a name brand? whatever, do you have a reimage disk that contains the op system and programs... if it was a bootleg copy of windows and the stuff on your drive was not legit, then just cut free of this and reload your stuff... I'm sure somebody would lend you their copy... if this is a name brand you you have the reimage disk, you need to see if the OEM version of windows will operate with the new systemboard... sometimes these shops put in the cheapest motherboard and charge you for a decent motherboard... and what happens is the chip set doesn't work right... if that is the case, ask these people if they will set you system back up for you like you had it... tell them you will give them a copy of the op system or the reimage disk and they can make sure everything works... otherwise just reload your system... recovering your hard drive isn't worth the cost unless what you lost is worth 500 dollars or more...

Comment

Sorry guys...my only reaction to getting your drive formatted is :
                    Un-Fricken-Believable!!!

There is no excuse for having done that, especially without notifying you prior. Plain and simple...they f*cked up bigtime. They should not have charged you a cent and hoped that took care of it. There is no fricking reason for having to do that to replace a mobo. Even if that were the case, they could have used a simple utility like Ghost to back the damn thing up themselves. Geese...being a "pc repair shop" (and I use that term loosely) you'd think they might have a spare drive lying around to temporarily back up the data. Bottom line...they are obviously a bunch of hacks and the owner doenst deserve to be in business at all!

my advise...take a vacation day and and drag his ass into small claims court (no lawyer). 99% chance the hack wont show anyway and you win by default. Go for the $5,000...especially if the data was business related. you'll get it....well worth the day off.

:shoot3: :shoot3:

Comment

That is the dumbest thing I've EVER heard. Im only 13 and i know that isnt true! I upgraded and old Amptron PM9100 (K6 Mobo) to my PCChips M810L without reformatting. I just put in my cd-burner and burnt what I needed and then reformatted. They are giving you tghe most crap thats even possible. After all, it cant be that easy to back up your pc if its constantly turning off. Let alone, they shouldnt have reformatted it wothout your permission and then lying that it has to be done whenever you replace your mobo

Comment

in my opion,is the computer guys fault,and a bit of ur falut ( plz dont start yelling or get pissed is just my OPION and is not what others should believe)

first of all,the computer store should have told u that u will need to refmrat the computer. Not everyone knows their computer, and tat they shouldn't have aggerisivly told u it was ur own fault.

if was a bit of ur fault too.. U SHOULD ALWAY MAKE A BACK UP!> i make a backup every 6 months. u never know when ur computer will do some crazy stuff.

Just get on with life and continue on with ur formatted computer, and have a fresh new start

( remember,this is my opion,,and everyone doesn;t need to agree

Comment

Working...
                        X