Multiplier question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Multiplier question

Well, i've decided to overclock my 1.1 Athlon again.. (note: no clips have broken / flown off again.. yet.. :D )

Unlocked it the other day... just curious as to whether or not there is any negative effect on increasing the multiplier (not including heat and lower life span) above the standard setting?
    I'm assuming there is an upper limit that can be reached... (not counting MB limit) Any hints / suggestions?

atm i've got my bus at 104 and the multiplier at 12.. not a major OC, but better than nothing...

Not that I found. I just kept going til it wouldn't boot anymore, then backed off. No ill after effects of that, as far as I can see. I actually did it several times trying to figure out the best way to do it. Good Luck.
    Have you hugged a Midget today?

Comment

Actually if your motherboard allows 133MHz FSB lower your multiplier and use the higher front bus speed as this will speed the whole system up and show greater benefits. You may even find that 9.5 or 10 x 133MHz will really get ya goin'. :devil:
      <center>:cheers:</center>

Comment

Beefy,
        What motherboard do you have? If it is anything with the KT133A or newer chipset, then crank that FSB up to 133! The processor will be able to handle it with no problem I'd bet, and it will give you some better performance for no added investment. Just keep your eye on the temperatures and you'll do fine.

As towhether it does any damage, I don't believe so. The higher temperatures you get from the faster speeds will slightly reduce the life of the processor, but that's about it as far as I'm aware.

Besides... As you can see by my signature, these chips should overclock rather nicely. :D
        Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
        My Toys

Comment

Dart,
          Is it true that an Athlon MP is same as a Athlon XP but MP still has L1 briges connected and it is SMP compatible. I knew about the SMP but was curious if the L1 connected was true.

Comment

I haven't heard anything about the L1 bridges, but the only real difference in the chips is that the MP has received factory testing and is guaranteed to work properly in an SMP environment.

This being said, there has been a pretty good success rate in using XP processors on a dual board. Wiggo found a reference somewhere about it and it states that 90% of the XP processors will work fine in a dual chip setup. So while not guaranteed, the chance of success is very high... and at a cost savings of around US$60 per processor too!
            Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
            My Toys

Comment

Originally posted by ne0z
              Dart,
              Is it true that an Athlon MP is same as a Athlon XP but MP still has L1 briges connected and it is SMP compatible. I knew about the SMP but was curious if the L1 connected was true.

I have read that Athlon MP's do ship with the L1 birdges intact, although I have not seen one first hand.

Comment

Originally posted by Wiggo
                Actually if your motherboard allows 133MHz FSB lower your multiplier and use the higher front bus speed as this will speed the whole system up and show greater benefits. You may even find that 9.5 or 10 x 133MHz will really get ya goin'. :devil:

My T'bird 1200 AVIA (100FSB) would not boot with the motherboard set @ 133 FSB, no matter what multiplier I used. It was factory unlocked too - so I know it wasn't just a bad pencil job.

Maybe you'll have more luck than me :rolleyes:

Comment

I will do some research on the L1 question I asked you Dart and when I find something I will post it so everyone can read it.

Comment

Originally posted by Darthtanion
                    Beefy,
                    What motherboard do you have? If it is anything with the KT133A or newer chipset, then crank that FSB up to 133! The processor will be able to handle it with no problem I'd bet, and it will give you some better performance for no added investment. Just keep your eye on the temperatures and you'll do fine.
                    MSI K7T Pro2-a... KT133 chipset.. :( so not much of an option there.. i'm gonna whack the clock up to 13 tonight.. and put the FSB up a fair bit.. see how that goes...

thanks for all the help guys...

Comment

well, talk about Murphy's Law....

I tried to set the clock to 13... wouldn't boot windows... went back to 12.. wouldn't boot windows.. went to 11.5.. booted ok... set the FSB to 105.. worked ok for a while.. then randomly started resetting.. tried different voltages, etc.. no good.. so now, for some reason, I'm running at less than I was before I started tonight.. It won't work on what I had it running at before for some reason.. :(

oh well..

Comment

That maybe that small PSU that ya have doin' that m8. ;)

Comment

i was thinking that myself.... :(

Comment

I think that it's about time for ya to bite the bullet and fork out some $'s for a better one now m8. ;)

Comment

but... but... :(

so, anyone got a good 1000W PSU? :D

i'll get around to getting a 400W or so oneday.. it's not important at the moment.

Comment

Working...
                              X