DDR Issues w/Asus A7N8X DX

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DDR Issues w/Asus A7N8X DX

After getting tired of messing around trying to OC with the PC2100 I have, decided to bite the bullet and upgrade to PC3200. The OCZ EL dual-channel recently reviewed in Tweaktown seemed like a good buy, and I ordered two sticks of 256MB in from NewEgg. I powered down, installed the new sticks, and my Asus Voice Post lady told me that I failed my memory test :cry: . After trying a few configurations, went back to my old RAM which wouldn't boot either. After clearing the CMOS, the 2100 booted, so tried the 3200 again....still failed to boot with stock BIOS settings (Auto). I was asked if this RAM is compatible with my board, and the mobo is rated for PC3200, but have no idea whether this particular brand is compatible. Am I doing something wrong in my BIOS settings? Will this memore even work with my mobo? I'm looking into it, but if someone has experience to share, I'd sure appreciate it. :cheers:

OK, finally got through on the Asus support pages....OCZ isn't on their list of supported memory. :cry: In fact, there isn't ANY CL2 memory in their list. Is there a way to make it work anyway, or do I need to send this back for something else on the list? I'd sure like to use it...from specs and reviews, it looks to be great performing stuff.

Comment

I'm sorry but I thought everyone knew how I felt about that particular brand. :cry:

Comment

So....you're saying it's crap and I should send it back and spend a few bucks more on Corsair? Corsair was mentioned specifically as having an issue working on the A7N8X board...

Comment

Well I do but then I know of ppl who run Corsair in their's but here's something that may work for ya, stick ya PC2100 in and raise the voltage to the memory and then do the swap. ;)

Comment

Ummmm....I'm not sure how to do that. :o There's a CPU voltage adjustment, but I don't see a specific RAM voltage adjustment.

Comment

You may have to change the memory settings from auto to user defined to get the voltages as well as other timing settings up. ;)

Comment

are you using 2 sticks? did you try just one OCZ stick?

BTW I personally Use HyperX by kingston, its the best!! :thumb:

Comment

OK, I am now typing at you on OCZ PC3200...:D
                  Yeah Wiggo, I looked at the specs for the RAM and manually put them all in, and upped the voltage by 1.5 volts. I'll have to try some OC and tell ya how it goes ;)
                  And yes, 2 sticks of DDR 256MB to enable the dual-channel feature. I'll be back later after some tweaks and benchmarks...wish me luck! :thumb:

Comment

Yep that sometimes works for me so good luck. :thumb:

I hope that ya meant 0.15 volts? :?:

But then with OCZ ya might of had too :laugh:

Comment

If I recall, OCZ generally runs their memory at 2.8v instead of the default 2.5v rating. Just something to think about. :D
                      Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
                      My Toys

Comment

Yeah, it was .15 volts. Seems to be working fine, but not a whole lot of difference in benchmarks so far, other than I can OC the processor more now...:D I have it at 2.1GHZ and it's stable. FSB is 150X14=2100. I'm not sure where to go from here.:?:

Comment

Ya could try 12-12.5 x 166MHz and go from there. :devil win

Comment

:D ;) :p
                            I now have an Athlon XP 2600+...:thumb:
                            I left the memory at 200MHz for now....how much higher ya think that will go?

Comment

Not bad at all m8. :thumb:

What settin's are ya runnin' now? :?:

Comment

Working...
                              X