Buying a PC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buying a PC

(Posted in BG as it doesn't really cover one specific topic)

I am thinking of buying a PC. I am making it from parts as Kheldar suggested that it would be cheaper.

This is what I am putting in it. Could someone please tell me if it is all compatible with each other.

Chaintech 7AJA2 Motherboard (with on-board sound)
    AMD Duron 1200 (266 Mhz)
    384 MB PC-133 SDRAM
    SONY 12/8/32 CD-RW
    10 mbps Network Card
    2-port USB PCI Card
    32 MB AGP Geforce
    Floppy Disk Drive
    ATX Case
    Microsoft Internet K/B + Mouse
    LG 17-inch 1770
    Seagate HDD 60 Gig 7200RPM
    2 X IDE Cables

This is about my price range as I already have some of the parts I have listed. Will it all work together (more specifically the Processor and Motherboard)?

All sounds good.. y the USB PCI card though? you've already got two USB ports at the back...

also, if you can upgrade to a 10/100 NIC, it would be much better.. but that's not really that important.

i'm assuming that the ATX case comes with a PSU as well..

Comment

yes, 230 watt to be exact

Comment

Slamo, buy a new case with at least 300 watt power supply to avoid future headaches, I can get them for $50 in Melbourne, cases aren't that bad either.

Comment

really? well then.. can ya get me a nice little ATX case and PSU? :)

Comment

I might put in an order for one of those too tweaky :bounce: :bounce:

Comment

ide cables dont need purchasing seperatly, they come with the hdd & mobo. (ie, 1 ata/100 comes with hdd, and 1 ata/100 cable comes with mobo as well as an ata/33 cable)

unless your getting rounded ones of course... :)

what geforce are you getting?

If its an mx400, id go with the 64meg version. the mx needs all the help it can get. (not that its a bad card)

you will need that 300w psu especially since your going amd. nothing lower than 300w!

and yeah, ditch the usb card, your mobo has 2 ports & another 2 acessible thru the header cable you get with the mobo)
              (puts another 2 usb ports where your pci slots would go, only it plugs into the mobo)

if the sony is new (and not salvaged from you current pc) then drop it for a liteon 24x

and if your ram is 3 sticks of 128, get a single stick of 256. will save you money in the long run, even tho its expensive now.

oh, and a 10/100 network card is a must. if you goto lans, and your mates are anything like me, theyll prolly bash your skull in for slowing them down with your 10bt card.

Comment

As the others said, 300w PSU, but ya Duron will be a 200MHz FSB as they have not been intro'd yet at 266MHz. A little puzzled about ya m/b selection though as the ECS K7S5A, which supports both DDR & SDRAM can be purchased for around $150-160aus and have a much better performance than that Elite board. :smokin:
                <center>:cheers:</center>

Comment

Originally posted by Bahamut Zer0
                  you will need that 300w psu especially since your going amd. nothing lower than 300w!
                  Umm.. against popular opinion. i'm going to have to disagree here. I can't say i've had any problems with my 250W PSU. and i'm running an Athlon, i've run both gf2mx and gf3 agp cards in my system.. 4 drives all the time.. 3 pci cards.... multiple system fans.. and I haven't had a problem.

And remember guys, a lot of this stuff he isn't actually buying new.. he's got a lot of it already, so upgrading some parts is just gonna cost more and mean he's got spare bits sitting around...

oh, and with that gf comment about getting 64mb.. it's not really all that important, especially on a budget.. as long as it's a gf2mx400.. it's good enough.. my old gf2mx400 with 32mb scored 700 points better in 3dmark2k1 than a gf2mx with 64mb...

Comment

well the reason for the motherboard was that I am limited by the shops that I am buying from, I need a decent online Australian store as the one I am buying from currently doesn't have a very extensive range.

ANd Beefy's right, I do have most of the parts listed there anyway, I am just salvaging parts out of the family computer that I have bought for it which will go into my new system.

And that Geforce is only a geforce, not a geforce 2. I'm trying to cut as many costs as possible. So far I have bought it down to $1200

Comment

Update, this is now what I am going for:

ECS K7S5A with integrated sound and 100 mbps rj45 adapter)
                      Athlon XP1600+
                      32 Meg AGP Geforce
                      Aussie PC Floppy Disk Drive
                      Microsoft Internet K/B + Mouse
                      LG 17-inch 1770
                      Seagate HDD 60 Gig 7200RPM
                      384 MB PC-133 SDRAM
                      SONY 12/8/32 CD-RW

Comment

Well, if you plan on overclocking the duron (which i assume you will be) then the 300w is a must. the 250 is *just* managing to power everything stock. What cooler are you getting too?

the gf32meg beating the 64meg in 3dmark is valid. Ive seen em do it, but in games they are noticebly struggling. And thats where it counts really.

if youre looking for good online stores, id give Scorptec a look, as well as
                        Computer Alliance
                        I shop there all the time. Great prices, and matching service.

Comment

Originally posted by Bahamut Zer0
                          Well, if you plan on overclocking the duron (which i assume you will be) then the 300w is a must. the 250 is *just* managing to power everything stock. What cooler are you getting too?
                          [/b]

heheh.. i must be one special exception to the rule then.. i've oc'ed my ath.. no probs at all.. but yeah, i know what you're getting at.

[b]
                          the gf32meg beating the 64meg in 3dmark is valid. Ive seen em do it, but in games they are noticebly struggling. And thats where it counts really.
                          I didn't notice that much diff myself..

Comment

Originally posted by Slamo
                            And that Geforce is only a geforce, not a geforce 2. I'm trying to cut as many costs as possible. So far I have bought it down to 00

Are you sure that they're not trying to flog you a GeForce2 MX200??? They are as cheap as chips, but the performance is at least 50% worse than the original "GeForce", the GeForce256
                            What came first - Insanity or Society?

Comment

Well what is a good video card that is value for money?

Comment

Working...
                              X