Western Digital
    50.00%
    Seagate
    0.00%
    Fujitsu
    0.00%
    Hitachi
    50.00%

I personally own a Maxtor HDD, but I voted for Western Digital, because of it´s 3 year warranty. :cool:

Comment

I've been usin' WD exclusively for the last year now. :thumb:

Comment

I've currently got 2 x Maxtor and a Seagate with me, but I'm gonna vote for WD.

Comment

Personally I've had good luck with both Maxtor and WD. But the WDs seem to have one setting for "alone" and another for Master. At least the ones that I have. and since I swap them in and out (before getting everything networked) I vote for Maxtor.
          I also like Maxtor's drive tools which allow you to re-certify the drive (i'm sure that WD has them as well, but I will look at Maxtor first, unless the WD is a lot cheaper)

Comment

Tomi_s

Wd's warranty on standard drives is 1yr as well. Last I saw, all of the manufacturers that offer 8mb models (including Maxtor) have a 3yr warranty on those models. The warranties are pretty much the same accross the board.

Comment

I'm going to have to stand in favor of Western Digital - even the one that went south on me will still run Linux. (Strange huh, go figure:confused: )

Just so you don't feel alone kane2g, though at this time, you are.
              Here's an article in support of your stance regarding those awkward jumper settings;
              http://storage.ziffdavis.com/article...,922848,00.asp
              The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

Comment

I dont think I'm alone, as I agree with you guys. If the settings were the same for master and alone, it would have my vote.
                I'm just too lazy to read the instructions on the drive, and sometimes I forget that WD made them that way. But I agree that they are a good manf. of hdd's

Comment

So far the best hd's I've used have been Maxtors so I voted for them, but I've never used a WD. I think I'll try one next time i upgrade

Comment

In the last 14 years, i've used quite a few maxtor drives, and 'bout 1 in 3 ended up dying within a year (ran a total of 4 drives in a raid array, rest alone). I've had several seagate drives scsi and ide alike, and I have an old 700mb seagate drive that's well in excess of double digits old that's still alive and kicking :) (running win2k on it right now as a matter of fact heh)... WD's I've had probs with in the past, but havn't had any issues with as of late (last year)... Quantum drives, i've not had much of a problem with (cept about 4 fireball cx 6.4gb ide drives... still use a few quantum atlas series scsi hd's) ... Personally though, I'm partial to Seagate drives as I've yet to have one fail on me at all in the past 14 years :) (I killed one myself due to stupidity, but that's a whole other story).

Comment

Depends on what type of drives you're talking about.

For a decent SCSI drive, you can't go past a Seagate.

For an ATAPI drive, the WD with 8Mb Cache has to be the best bet.

Comment

Western Digital
                        Maxtor 2nd.

Comment

got a 40gb WD 2mb cache, had it for the last 3 years...good stuff :)

Comment

IBM sold their storage operations to Hitachi last year, so IBM/Hitachi are now the same company.

Press release, Hitachi, IBM complete hard disk drive agreement

IBM announced it has completed an agreement to combine its hard disk drive operations with Hitachi's, forming a
                            new company called Hitachi Global Storage Technologies.

Under the agreement, Hitachi bought the majority of IBM's HDD-related assets for $2.05 billion. As planned, Hitachi paid
                            70 percent of the purchase price to IBM immediately. Hitachi will pay the remainder to IBM over the next three years.

Comment

Hey what happened to Quantum? I got a Fireball 4Gb in my computer and it's had a darn good thrashing for 4 years. Although I've watched a Seagate and a WD pass away within 2 years.

Comment

Working...
                              X