which DDR to use on Gigabyte GA-8INXP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• which DDR to use on Gigabyte GA-8INXP

I've been shopping for a new board (et al) for my upgrade - finally! And I've decided upon the Gigabyte GA-8INXP. But one question remains - which Ram to use? I've seen (on Tom's hardware) that the 7205 chipset on the INXP can only properly use DDR200 or DDR266.

I sent a mail to Gigabyte, and thier answer was that DDR333 could be used, but that it might only run at 266! But on the other hand, I've also seen places (such as a review of the INXP on this site!) where people had used DDR400. So here (at last, right?) are my questions ....

If I use DDR333 or DDR400 on the GA-8INXP, will I have any benefit above and beyond what I'd get with DDR266?

And even if I can, would I be better off for most productivity and gaming tasks to go with DDR266 with CAS2 anyway, tas opposed to DDR333 with CAS 2.5? (in other words, is lower latency better than speed?)

I'd appreciate answers, feedback, or references (addresses) to either of these questions. Thx, all.

Official support is for PC2100 but that won't stop ya usin' higher rated memory (though support won't be given for it) but which is a must if ya intend on overclockin'.

Comment

Thx much for that. Another question, then - suppose I go to DDR333 or DDR400 - which BIOS setting(s) are best to tweak/crank the board up to perform with memory of that spec?

And - has anybody else heard of someone who has actually used such a rig (this board, specifically) for any period of time? I'm interested in reports of stability, or issues thereof, when it's overclocked. I'm planning on a 2.5G CPU, and hope to get it up to a stable 2.8 or better.

Comment

Working...
      X