why

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• why

From the way it seems that ur getting all these error why are u guys using XP?? You guys keep on getting different errors and it doesn't seem worth it.

I think the challenge is part of the attraction LOL.
    I use Win98 SE myself. Does what I need to do. For me XP is too much money, too much hassle, and too much non-compliant hardware.
    Linux is definitely my next OS upgrade.

Though I'm certain I will be missing out on that feeling of joy when that next Service Pack get released.
    The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

Comment

Originally posted by Usul92
      From the way it seems that ur getting all these error why are u guys using XP?? You guys keep on getting different errors and it doesn't seem worth it.
      Once you realize that EVERY operating system will have certain bugs and problems, then you can take a more detailed look at each particular version. WinXP is by far the most stable GUI type OS that Microsoft has ever put out. And before folks pipe in with the Linux/Unix/BeOS suggestions, let's keep in mind compatibility with a vast majority of all software made.

Bottom line... Though I am not an advocate of Microsoft by any means, they have actually put out a very good product this time around. While it does have a few bugs, it is the most stable and versatile Microsoft OS to be had.
      Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
      My Toys

Comment

Just to set the record straight here:D

I've certainly done a bit of fiddling with the Win98 OS, to make it the functional OS it currently is for my use.
        It only stands to reason that the same would be true of XP or any other OS that one might choose to install.

And as far as error messages go, it's hard to beat the good ol' MSKB to track those down and cure them.:thumb:

It's easy to run down an M$ product, but they do provide a lot of tools for supporting, and adding features to their products.
        Master Bill has taken me a long way, no doubt about it.
        The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

Comment

Agreed. Master Bill has taken the entire world a long way.

I've had experiences with UNIX, LINUX, Windows of all sorts. My job requires me to deal with them, so I learned.

UNIX.. Well.. beefed up DOS.. Great. Very stable.

LINUX.. UNIX on steroids. GUI's are appealing - stable as hell, but I'm with Darth on this. Trying to get things to work with Linux is about as eventful as sitting bum first on a land mine.

Windows - (Insert all your personal experiences here) Unless you're on a MAC, I can't see how you entered this world without using M$ at some point in time. I'm most comfortable with Windows. It's not the most secure (by far), nor the most stable, but you can't dog its support of almost everything out there, designed for an IBM compatible.

While in an ideal world, software would come to us 100% rock solid, with immaculate coding.. We're not there. The End User is the one who plays the Crash Test Dummy, slamming into all the walls the developers didn't knock down. Over time, the wrinkles are ironed out. I think Windows XP is the biggest, most comprehensive step M$ has made so far. Bugs or not, I think its the most interesting one so far.

Besides, that's what we have TT for :D
          Chris "Raven"
          News Crew - TweakTown
          <!--
          <font size=1>
          <font color=green>Main Beast:</font>
          - Athlon XP 1800+@1701MHz | EPoX 8KHA+ | Corsair 512MB XMS3200C2 | GeForce3 Ti200
          - 2x80GB WD 7200RPM | 40x12x48 Sony CDRW | Pioneer 16X DVD
          - Swiftech MCX462+ / Tt Smart Case Fan 2 | Antec 1030SX case w/ 431W Enermax PSU
          </font>
          // -->
          "Look at life like your morning cup of coffee. You might have one every day, yet you still enjoy it."

How to ask a good question

Comment

I'll be steering clear of WinXP until at least the first service pack..... Win2K Pro is more stable on my hardware than WinXP Pro :geek:
            What came first - Insanity or Society?

Comment

Originally posted by Usul92
              every OS release has problems ;)
              it's part of the adventure trying to get it working good :D

Taking bets on when the first SP will come out, I'm bettin at least another 6mos to a year : peace2:

Comment

Originally posted by wuntvor

Taking bets on when the first SP will come out, I'm bettin at least another 6mos to a year : peace2:

Yeah, they have to keep us in suspense, ya know!
                Chris "Raven"
                News Crew - TweakTown
                <!--
                <font size=1>
                <font color=green>Main Beast:</font>
                - Athlon XP 1800+@1701MHz | EPoX 8KHA+ | Corsair 512MB XMS3200C2 | GeForce3 Ti200
                - 2x80GB WD 7200RPM | 40x12x48 Sony CDRW | Pioneer 16X DVD
                - Swiftech MCX462+ / Tt Smart Case Fan 2 | Antec 1030SX case w/ 431W Enermax PSU
                </font>
                // -->
                "Look at life like your morning cup of coffee. You might have one every day, yet you still enjoy it."

How to ask a good question

Comment

Working...
                X