PDA

View Full Version : Car advice needed

Albinus
02-07-2002, 01:54 PM
Hi All,

As you can tell by my other thread here, our car has a serious problem with rust. Mum will only drive another Honda, and a manual at that, so that sorta limits the choice. A girl at TAFE is selling her 1981 Civic, 5 speed manual. It's got 4 new shockies, 2 new tyres, 6 months rego and a few other things. When I rang her up she said there is "minor surface rust"..... and the engine is in good nick.

She wants A$1200 for it - is this a good buy? Should I go and have a look at it? This is probably the most we can afford at the moment.

Dlab
02-07-2002, 02:02 PM
...ya buy'um..............go over and test drive'm, take it to your family macanic, and plan on repairs...............Gl:angel:

Olie
02-07-2002, 02:58 PM
might as well take a look

although $1200 sounds too good to be true ;)

Albinus
02-07-2002, 03:12 PM
Hmmmm might take a mate over to have a look with me.....

Bahamut Zer0
02-07-2002, 06:18 PM
See how you go with the chick as well ;)

Minor surface damage could mean anything, so itd be best to inspect/have inspected by mechanic

Anonymous
02-08-2002, 05:51 AM
I would reconsider the idea of buying another honda, althou they are a good car, the parts a getting a little expensive, I would actually take a look at either a corrolla or an early camry, althou they are a lil more expensive, they are a much better car :)

Olie
02-08-2002, 12:13 PM
corrolla or an early camry, althou they are a lil more expensive, they are a much better car :)

GO THE COROLLA

my corry was $1000 and it runs okish

Albinus
02-08-2002, 12:38 PM
Well Mum will only buy another Honda. Even though the parts are hard to get (and very $$$) we use far fewer of them than others with Australian made cars ;)

A Corolla is a good idea - I don't mind their handling, very similar in all respects (and much more popular)

I'll see what happens ;)

And BTW she's engaged so I don't think I'll have much chop :cry:

MySTiCuSS
02-10-2002, 12:39 AM
Yeah dude go for the corolla!

Albinus
02-10-2002, 12:52 PM
Talked to Mum about the prospect of a Corolla..... she actually agrees. And they are much more popular and easier to get parts for :)

MySTiCuSS
02-10-2002, 05:46 PM
That's good to hear! So you want to tune your corolla?

Andy
02-10-2002, 06:25 PM
i think he has to buy one first mysticuss ;)

MySTiCuSS
02-10-2002, 06:34 PM
HAHAH you right, how old is the corolla you want to buy?

Andy
02-10-2002, 07:14 PM
HAHAH you right

as usual ;) :D :angel:

Albinus
02-14-2002, 04:17 PM
Looks like a lecturer from TAFE will help us with a car, his mate is a secondhand car dealer..... so just waiting for the rego on the Civic to expire :)

ne0z
02-15-2002, 12:22 AM
I dont want to sound like an idiot but what is a rego? never heard that here in the states

Anonymous
02-15-2002, 08:58 AM
lol, Car Registration :D

ne0z
02-15-2002, 09:59 AM
oh ok, now I do feel like an idiot

MySTiCuSS
02-17-2002, 10:21 PM
I did not now it too!

Albinus
02-18-2002, 10:57 AM
Well MySTiCuSS - you learn something new every day - now you know! :thumb:

SegiY
03-13-2002, 09:48 AM
Ok, now I happen to know alot 'bout cars, and DON'T buy a corrola, I have just sold my '83 Pulsar GX and brought my mum's '87 CSX corrola, it's heavy as all hell for front wheel drive and quite often unstable, they are reliable yes, parts can be very dear though, and the bodies apper to be good but every thing is fixed onto thing metal.

The only reason I chose it over my pulsar was it's K's it had only done 83,000 Km's when I got it with condition to match, and thats not a typo + i only paid $2600 AU for it.

Also my pulsar was in a string of 3 accidents leading up to it's sale but in it's prime it was the better car.

Moose
03-13-2002, 06:00 PM
errrr...........I don't really know what you are going on about.......Corollas are great cars...

Heavy on the steering!!???....are you really that weak?

And what do you mean 'heavy for a front wheel drive"....NON power steering FWDS are heavyer than a RWD.....

Unstable?.....I have driven many a corolla and they stick to the road like glue...

Damn reliable beasts...
....expensive parts?...not compared to cars like Mazda and Honda....reasonable price IMO :)

SegiY
03-14-2002, 10:25 AM
When I say heavy i mean both heavy in the stearing (and i'm not weak) in comparison to other cars, and also in the body, in other words it's not as manovarable as other cars in its class.
The twincam's in '86 & '87 were great becaause they were the sports models, any older than '86 are just to old and are crap compared to the equivalent pulsar, and any newer ones cost a mint for what they are, and unless they are a sports model their an old ladies car.
To an untrained eye the body looks sturdy and well built, but when you look harder every thing is fixed on to thin metal, which is not very good when somthing breaks (like the crapy boots which they are still using.)
Yes they are reliable, that is one of the contributing factors of me buying mine, and SOME of the parts are cheaper than honda and mazda parts, but look at the makes you are comparing it to, honda's are some of the best tuned cars around, and mazda sometimes uses different motor desings than others (rotory) which in both cases pushes the price up.
My old Pulsar a FWD, was light on steering & good manovarablaty, ran on ULP, heald stable at speeds over 160 km/h, and had cheep parts + easy to repare.
Once I have built up some cash there will be a nice '87 Corolla CSX on the market if any one wants a good car for there granny, you want a Toyota sports car buy a Supra.

Moose
03-14-2002, 11:34 AM
When I say heavy i mean both heavy in the stearing (and i'm not weak) in comparison to other cars, and also in the body, in other words it's not as manovarable as other cars in its class.
The twincam's in '86 & '87 were great becaause they were the sports models, any older than '86 are just to old and are crap compared to the equivalent pulsar, and any newer ones cost a mint for what they are, and unless they are a sports model their an old ladies car.
To an untrained eye the body looks sturdy and well built, but when you look harder every thing is fixed on to thin metal, which is not very good when somthing breaks (like the crapy boots which they are still using.)
Yes they are reliable, that is one of the contributing factors of me buying mine, and SOME of the parts are cheaper than honda and mazda parts, but look at the makes you are comparing it to, honda's are some of the best tuned cars around, and mazda sometimes uses different motor desings than others (rotory) which in both cases pushes the price up.
My old Pulsar a FWD, was light on steering & good manovarablaty, ran on ULP, heald stable at speeds over 160 km/h, and had cheep parts + easy to repare.
Once I have built up some cash there will be a nice '87 Corolla CSX on the market if any one wants a good car for there granny, you want a Toyota sports car buy a Supra.

I wouldn't say they are made of crap materials....I have an 85' Corolla S that mum uses, has over 330,000kms on it, blows no smoke, runs damn well, no rust at all, definantly not heavy on steering and runs on ULP. Any true mechanic will recommend a Corolla over a Pulsar, I have driven many a Pulsar of that age, and they are crap compared to the Corollas. Corollas last, Pulsars don't last as well as Corollas do :p

Olie
03-14-2002, 12:22 PM
my corolla is kinda f*cked ATM.

i accidently went 1-2-3-2
i was totally reving 3rd up a hill then accidently got distracted and slipped her back to second. lotsa bad noises and i quickly put her back to 3rd. now i rev her and like 3secs later it responds in a very screwed up noise. i have basically 0 power as well, i had to rev the crap out of it at skool to try and get out of my park.

not good :(
looks like another service :mad:

Wiggo
03-14-2002, 12:57 PM
Sounds like,
a/ - ya popped or bent a valve
b/ - holed a piston
c/ - both
d/ - something else major
none are very good, so don't do it again. ;)
:beer: :beer: :beer:

Olie
03-14-2002, 01:14 PM
yeah
i'm taking it in 2morrow

Slamo's Sister
03-14-2002, 03:33 PM
<center><Small>*sighs then laughs* well when i turn 18 my daddy is buying me an Astra [please god an ASTRA CONVERTABLE] so i don't have to worry bout that.. :angel: </center></small>

Olie
03-14-2002, 03:39 PM
yeah i get a better car at the end of the year
yes a CAR, not a COROLLA!
i need to drive from Uni to my house so the corolla wont cut it

Slamo's Sister
03-14-2002, 03:43 PM
<centeR><Small>*sigh* we don't want u to leave and go to uni *coff* lol... nar.. i still got 3 years left til i go to uni, i can't believe u are like 2 years older than me :( </center></small><center>p.s if u haven't noticed, i am daddy's little angel !! :angel: </center>

Moose
03-14-2002, 04:58 PM
<center>p.s if u haven't noticed, i am daddy's little angel !! :angel: </center>

If you are "daddys little angel" why is he buying you an Astra?..:laugh: :laugh:

Slamo's Sister
03-15-2002, 03:45 AM
if u have a problem with me, instead of telling my brother to tell me i am farked in the head, which are the words u use, i suggest to you that u sort it out with me and for your pleasure i will stop writing in here from now on so @ least a few of u will be happy... and dad's buying me an Astra cuz i want one... alrite

Moose
03-15-2002, 06:06 AM
if u have a problem with me, instead of telling my brother to tell me i am farked in the head, which are the words u use, i suggest to you that u sort it out with me and for your pleasure i will stop writing in here from now on so @ least a few of u will be happy... and dad's buying me an Astra cuz i want one... alrite

I actually did call you farked in the head last week on MSN, then you blocked me :laugh:

And look here, I would hardly call this "behind your back" :rolleyes:
http://www.tweaktown.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1593&pagenumber=1

SegiY
03-15-2002, 10:59 AM
Cheeked my mecanic (uncle) wanted me to sell my corrola and keep my beat up pulsar, because he thought it was the better car but he also knew I needed a newer car and he has worked on my corolla for it's entire life and knew it was a good buy for the price and what i needed it for, + my mechanic I have worked at his business for 2 years, and still work there occasionally so I do know a BIT about cars (only second to computers) and have driven so many I've lost count.

Olie
03-16-2002, 09:02 AM
*NEWS UPDATE*
olie is now in search of a new car. His car is going to cost more to fix than what it is worth. :(
Olie is very sad as he needs a car to get to work, school etc.
:cry: :cry:

Wiggo
03-16-2002, 09:27 AM
Not good to hear though I bet ya'll be more careful with those gear changes in future. :smokin:
<center>:cheers:</center>

Olie
03-16-2002, 01:41 PM
the guy said that it was gonna happen soon anyway
that just made it happen sooner.

Wiggo
03-16-2002, 02:56 PM
Ah, so he's seen how ya drive then. :D
:beer: :beer: :beer:

Wiggo's-sister
03-22-2002, 07:56 PM
Have you found a car yet Olie?

Olie
03-23-2002, 01:09 PM
i got my car back on thurs
but i broke it yesterday again
nothing too serious just a sticky aceelerator that is stauck at 1/2 power
i idle at 3000-4000rpm

Moose
03-23-2002, 08:01 PM
lol...Are you sure you know how to drive? :p

Olie
03-24-2002, 03:57 PM
i know how to drive :)

Albinus
03-30-2002, 11:36 AM
Well I just missed out on another car.....

1984 Subaru SportsWagon, reconditioned engine. For those who don't know, it is essential to have a good engine on an early model Subaru, as they are an "opposing" 4-cyl and bloody hard (and expensive) to work on. The only problem was a crappy ceiling, but hey - $40 from the wreckers and you've got another one.

Asked how much the guy wanted, and he said "My son's just bought it!!!" Crap!!! :cry:

For $350 as well!!! My friend who's a mechanic/car detailer said he would have paid as much as $1000 for it..... oh well **** happens and I'm still looking for another car :cry:

Wiggo's-sister
03-31-2002, 09:51 AM
I'm sure you'll find a replacement eventually Al.

Browneyesheart
04-07-2002, 02:51 PM
16yrs ago my exhusbnd and i own a bodyshop...we fix alot of cars... but this one stands out the most....we rebuilt a 68 chev 2dr....for some reason at that time i love wide tires on the back...it was white... beauiful.....one day i drove it all over the place... and not have this happen to me before... i thought i was smart, drove real fast in my driveway saw that my husband had a water cooler in the middle of my driveway.....i slided sideway and miss the thing ....hahahah and it was stuck inbetween two houses.... hahha a blonde thing... thats not all... it over heated....and the engine was raceing.... and get this it was turn off..... my husband just lauf.... becouse i am so green about stuff i thought it was going to blow up.....so now i still remmber and i look and check things out and go slow into stuff....

Albinus
04-28-2002, 11:32 AM
I'm OK now :D

1988 Hyundai Excel, very comparable to the 1979 Honda Civic in many ways. 5-spd Manual (what I wanted), 5-door Hatch (also what I wanted), No Aircon (I wanted that) :cry:, 1.5L Engine (Carburettor - Don't like EFI). Light Blue in Colour, No rust, RWC, new tyres etc :bounce: :bounce2:

Question - there is a spot for the air conditioner, does anybody know how much an air conditioning unit would cost for this thing? :confused:

But at least it gets me out of travelling on the train and bus :thumb:

Wiggo's-sister
04-28-2002, 12:26 PM
Good choice Al. I've got a Hyundi Lantra which I've had for the past 3 years and so far not one problem at all.My Hyundi (http://members.hn.ozemail.com.au/smiley66/hyundi.jpg)

Albinus
04-28-2002, 01:23 PM
Apparantly, the earlier model Excels had an older style engine designed by Mitsubishi; it was only after demand increased that Hyundai made their own. I don't mind the carburettion one bit - at least I have some idea on how to fix that :laugh:

Went and bought some new car mats, wiper blades and assembly, and car seat covers. Hopefully will keep this car a little more rust free than the Honda (bit hard when sitting in the open all the time) :(

But at least it will spell the end of paying over $100/fortnight in public transport for both of us :eek:

Moose
04-28-2002, 07:04 PM
I'm OK now :D

1.5L Engine (Carburettor - Don't like EFI

.....How the hell?......

Why don't you like EFI?...:confused:

Wiggo's-sister
04-28-2002, 07:23 PM
Well, all I can say is that a tank of fuel (which costs me about $35 Aus) does 460kms for around town trips and long distance trips I can get up to 600kms. So they're great on fuel. :D

Albinus
04-28-2002, 08:14 PM
.....How the hell?......

Why don't you like EFI?...:confused:

"E" stands for electronic = I can't usually fix :thumbs do

And injectors have a nasty habit of gumming up..... even if they are more economical ;)

Went for a spin around the streets tonight, front tyres must be replaced (wet road + hill + front wheel drive = spin)

Moose
04-29-2002, 01:39 PM
EFI is much better than the ole Carbys...

They are much better to start in the morning...and are more economical..

And Injecters pretty rarely clog up...

If it were my choice…I would go the Electronic Fuel Injection...

If Carburettors were better than EFI...they wouldn't have replaced Carburettors with EFI... :p

Albinus
04-29-2002, 05:09 PM
Yes Moose, there are very distinct advantages to using EFI - it's just that I'm familiar with carburetters (ask Mr. C why he doesn't get a new car - same idea) :laugh:

And it rarely gets below 9 degrees where I live - so I don't have a problem with cold starts ;)

Got 2 new 13" Dunlops put on the front today, alignment and full balance. Seems OK, but the spare had an "illegal" puncture repair, whatever the hell that means :confused:

Power Steering reservoir is strangely missing (not that you need it in a small car anyway), looking at how much a compressor for the air conditioner would cost (a lot I imagine).

Just keeping peeps here up-to-date :wave:

Moose
04-29-2002, 06:45 PM
Yes Moose, there are very distinct advantages to using EFI - it's just that I'm familiar with carburetters (ask Mr. C why he doesn't get a new car - same idea) :laugh:

And it rarely gets below 9 degrees where I live - so I don't have a problem with cold starts ;)

There's only a certain amount you can do at home anyway on a car nowdays...some day you will have to switch over...why not now?
hehe

MySTiCuSS
04-29-2002, 06:51 PM
I own a volkswagen Vento (jetta) It is a really good and reliable car!!!

Albinus
04-30-2002, 08:34 PM
I own a volkswagen Vento (jetta) It is a really good and reliable car!!!

I agree MySTiCuSS, but Volkswagen parts are very hard to get (and very expensive) in Australia :(

Slamo
05-04-2002, 03:38 PM
There is no way in hell I would buy an engine with a carby. Too old and crappy, uneconomical and did i say old.

I'm happy with my EFI 2.4L 4-cyl toyota, good, reliable car.

And from what it sounds like Al, you got sold a lemon. Obviously the car has been stripped before it was handed over to you.

Albinus
05-04-2002, 07:18 PM
And from what it sounds like Al, you got sold a lemon. Obviously the car has been stripped before it was handed over to you.

Err...... what happens if we were aware of that? ;)

If you strip things like the radio/CD player, you save $$$. If you get the 10" sub out, more $$$ saved (besides I need the boot space).

So it sometimes works out better to get a stripped car for a lot less than to pay thru the nose for a fully decked-out version :)

Albinus
05-15-2002, 09:42 PM
OK - some pics ;)

Albinus
05-15-2002, 09:45 PM
Engine Bay:

Albinus
05-15-2002, 09:47 PM
And just to prove that it has done less KM's than the Honda ;)

Albinus
05-31-2002, 07:07 PM
Got the bonnet, roof and boot resprayed this week, done a teriffic job on it - cut the rust out of the boot area and threw in some chrome wheel covers ;)