cable question - no real forum for this one

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cable question - no real forum for this one

does anyone know if you can use another cable outlet for your cable modem, or do you HAVE to use the one they setup :?:

looking at this setup, I doubt it matters, but I want to make sure I won't fry the modem

networking forum wuntvor :)
    TweakTown SETI@home Team

Comment

I thought about it, but uh :?:

ok, someone delete this thread, I'll put it there :D

edit: oh hehe, u already did :eek:

Comment

Originally posted by wuntvor
        I thought about it, but uh :?:

ok, someone delete this thread, I'll put it there :D

edit: oh hehe, u already did :eek:
        haha, magic wuntvor ;)
        TweakTown SETI@home Team

Comment

Don't know about outside the USA or outside NYC for the matter but..

My cable modem is hooked up off a splitter [available from Radioshack for like <$5] from the neighbors.. I'm paying for cable TV but not the so called Digitial Cable that is required to have a cable modem here in NY.

Basically I'm saying it probably makes little difference, you may get a little less throughput in a different area of the crib though..: peace2:

Comment

D-DD is right- you can have the cable modem anywere in the house/apt

but there are a few things you need to change

1. whatever outlet you plug the coax into , be SURE that it doesn't have a line filter on it, or you won't get the connection

2. put a line filter on ALL the other coax outlets in your house/apt, so the signal will only go to the modem - you don't wanna fry your t.v.s

note that the more connections between the one cable coming into the house, the slower the actual speed may be
            it might be noticable, it might not - but it will be slower

if you had the choice, the line that is coming into the house should be split once with one coax going to the modem and a filter on the other outlet of the splitter then to the rest of the house for the tv's , then, run a single cable to wherever the modem is, preferably not more than a few feet from the splitter (though i haven't seen any proof that it would make a difference, and you can run CAT5 easier than a coax to your PC or router)

-ct

Comment

ah so the TV's need filters

this is for a friend who does haver filters on each of the tv lines, but I don't have any filters at all

I have 1 cable outlet and my modem and TV are split from the same line, I gave the installer the splitter, so I know it's just a regular splitter.

I guess it depends on the cable company then. I'll tell her to make sure she keeps filters on the TV lines to be on the safe side

Thanx.

Comment

Originally posted by Andy

haha, magic wuntvor ;)
                you take that magic show on the road andy :?:

Comment

Originally posted by ct_
                  D-DD is right- you can have the cable modem anywere in the house/apt

but there are a few things you need to change

1. whatever outlet you plug the coax into , be SURE that it doesn't have a line filter on it, or you won't get the connection

2. put a line filter on ALL the other coax outlets in your house/apt, so the signal will only go to the modem - you don't wanna fry your t.v.s

note that the more connections between the one cable coming into the house, the slower the actual speed may be
                  it might be noticable, it might not - but it will be slower

if you had the choice, the line that is coming into the house should be split once with one coax going to the modem and a filter on the other outlet of the splitter then to the rest of the house for the tv's , then, run a single cable to wherever the modem is, preferably not more than a few feet from the splitter (though i haven't seen any proof that it would make a difference, and you can run CAT5 easier than a coax to your PC or router)

-ct
                  good call. (what he said) :D:thumb:
                  [space saving sig]
                  AMD 0wn3z j00!
                  [/space saving sig]

Comment

Re: cable question - no real forum for this one

Hey guys, I'm looking for some advice. I've looked into this hosting company, they even got ranked #2 on this review site (http://www.hosting-buyers-guide.com/re/2005startlogic/).

I'm building a site that's gonna have alot of pictures and video, so I'll need alot of space and speed, so has anyone used this host before?

Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                    X