Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Could this be the result of a dying network card?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Could this be the result of a dying network card?

Well i have my netserver & with an ISA Network Card...its an AMD K6-2 300 128meg RAM, running 2k Pro...

the computer doesn't have a screen or anything, just a network cord, power cord & modem plugged into it...the prob is after a while the network will just freeze & i have to restart it, after the reboot it'll work.....has anybody got any idea's?

most of the time when it freeze's is when i try & VNC into it & when its loading the first pic it'll freeze VNC, then i quit & try & log back into it but it won't...any idea's or is this just a sign that the NIC is nearly dead?
    this VNC problem only happens when i shutdown my desktop then come back the next day i think...it hasn't stuffed up which the networks been running, then i try & VNC the next day & WHAM...

ne idea's? ive posted this on OCAU as well...hopefully someone can help...ill be getting a new NIC soon newayz, just wanna know if its a network card prob...:?:
    At the request of wiggo ;)

try the following. Uninstall VNC and reinstall it on the server. Look for an updated version from what you are already using. As a last resort look at the vender's website for updated drivers for your NIC.

I've only seen one NIC actually die in over 10 yeras of networking experience. And that NIC died due to the solder holding down the RJ45 jack breaking loose.. Another tech admitted he stepped on the card with his steel toed workboots before installing it..

Comment

lol, well it could be damaged as i carted it home in my school bag from school....but thanx, ill look for some updates...im not sure if its just VNC causing the prob tho, ill give it a go newayz :thumb:

Comment

another alternative would be to try using tightvnc (www.tightvnc.org) rather than plain old vnc, cos tvnc is faster anyway... and may not ahve problems...

do you run the network via a hub/switch or just crossover?

if its by crossover, maybe the NIC doesnt like losing then regaining its connection whenever youre machine is restarted or switched off and on.

here I used to run an isa card and all it did was give me problems on my netserver; no internet during file transfers etc... now i've got a PCI RTL8029 in there... seems to be going okay....

also note mine is plugged into my hub which is always ojn so as far as its concerned the network link is always there, if not active.

i use a pretty dodgey cable.. but oh well... its only 10mbit...

will be recabling the house soon (next week?) and getting a 10/100 8 port switch to keep up with the fact that all but one computer (the netserver) run RTL8139(alphabet) 10/100 cards except my box which runs an Intel/DEC Tulip 21143 10/100 NIC...
        SileNceR, Messenger of the Dark and the Night. To post quality, or not to post at all, THAT is the Question - Never again ask what can my post count do for me besides increasing my ego, but instead ask what can I do to help someone else!
        Overclockers Melbourne (http://www.ocmelbourne.com).

Comment

k, well i guess ill just put up with it till i get a new NIC & Switch...which shouldn't be too far away...btw, i am runnin Tight VNC...i grabbed it off u at a LAN sometime silencer, hehe ;)

Comment

in that case just run stock vnc...
            SileNceR, Messenger of the Dark and the Night. To post quality, or not to post at all, THAT is the Question - Never again ask what can my post count do for me besides increasing my ego, but instead ask what can I do to help someone else!
            Overclockers Melbourne (http://www.ocmelbourne.com).

Comment

also Isa cards won't work under XP unless they are plug N play ones - apparently removed for increased compatiblity with software
              http://community.smoothwall.org/foru...ic.php?t=20262

Comment

do u know if that happens in 2k? coz the ISA NIC is in the netserver which is runnin 2k Pro...

Comment

no its just an XP thing - you can quiet happily get an ISA nonplug & pray to work in win2k - it just won't work in winXP

ie if it has jumpers to configure irq's etc. it will not work in winXP
                  http://community.smoothwall.org/foru...ic.php?t=20262

Comment

heres an update on my prob..:

when VNC freezes & i plug a monitor into the computer & try 2 load WinRoute Pro Administration, it won't connect to localhost, it gives me some error, ive tried closing WinRoute & reopening it but it didn't work...hmph!

Comment

maybe it wasn't VNC, but now ive got a better proggy newayz :)...

ive narrowed the prob down to be with WinRoute...2night i waz on the net, lookin around and then went away from the comp for about 10-15 mins then came back & went to goto a site & it wouldn't work..i looked at the netserver, everythin waz runnin ok..so i tried again, no luck, so i tried to access the net thru the winroute proxy...that worked fine...so it has just up & disabled NAT for no reason, i tried to log into WinRoute locally & i got an error code something like 1006...but i can log in remotely fine...hmph, ive read a help file and what i think maybe the prob (and waz suggested here @ OCAU) is:

Routing Table Issues

It may be possible that you would have all components succesfully installed and configured and you would still experience disfuntionality. Unfortunately Windows95/98/NT operating system is not well designed for networking. Even after settuping up WInRoute and network settings correctly you may experience that setup is not funtional. If this is the case, you have to look at the Routing Table and choose one of the following:

Fix the routes by deleting and then adding them
                      or
                      Remove TCP/IP protocol complete, reboot the computer and add it back

how do i delete routes?!
                      & would i have to keep on doing this all the time? hopefully its the network card or that it doesn't have a constant connection to the network becoz its connected to my other desktop via crossover and ill be getting a switch soon so it'll have a permanant connection...thanx for the help

Edit: could this be an incompatability issue with 2k Pro???

Comment

Originally posted by Grim Reaper
                        maybe it wasn't VNC, but now ive got a better proggy newayz :)...

ive narrowed the prob down to be with WinRoute...2night i waz on the net, lookin around and then went away from the comp for about 10-15 mins then came back & went to goto a site & it wouldn't work..i looked at the netserver, everythin waz runnin ok..so i tried again, no luck, so i tried to access the net thru the winroute proxy...that worked fine...so it has just up & disabled NAT for no reason, i tried to log into WinRoute locally & i got an error code something like 1006...but i can log in remotely fine...hmph, ive read a help file and what i think maybe the prob (and waz suggested here @ OCAU) is:

Routing Table Issues

how do i delete routes?!
                        & would i have to keep on doing this all the time? hopefully its the network card or that it doesn't have a constant connection to the network becoz its connected to my other desktop via crossover and ill be getting a switch soon so it'll have a permanant connection...thanx for the help

Edit: could this be an incompatability issue with 2k Pro???
                        do a route /? from a command prompt in win 2000. that should tell you what you need to know about adding/deleting/viewing routes. Generally the route to 0.0.0.0 goes out to the internet..

I hope that helps.. I wonder if your DHCP lease is expiring at your ISP though.. that used to happen to me occasionally and i had to do a:

ipconfig /release

followed by an
                        ipconfig /renew

to get my inet working again.:thumb:

Comment

nah i don't think that its the fact that my IP has expired as Silencer is on the same ISP & also the net works fine thru WinRoute Proxy but a tad slower than NAT :(

btw, thanx 4 the Route cmd..ill give that a go :thumb:

Comment

Originally posted by Grim Reaper
                            nah i don't think that its the fact that my IP has expired as Silencer is on the same ISP & also the net works fine thru WinRoute Proxy but a tad slower than NAT :(

btw, thanx 4 the Route cmd..ill give that a go :thumb:
                            No problem..

Comment

Working...
                            X