Too many MBs to pick from...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Too many MBs to pick from...

OK.. just been looking around at some MBs that support an Athlon XP.. Not quite sure what to get though.. I was looking along the lines of either Abit KR7A-RAID or Epox 8KHA+... but i'm not sure... any suggestions/stories/comments welcome...

I have the EPoX board you mentioned, and it has been very solid and an outstanding performer. I have also been hearing good things about the new Shuttle board. Gimme about a week and I'll be able to tell you if it's any good or not. ;)
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

Comment

I might wait and see how that goes then...

Comment

8KTA3+Pro - my next board

now gotta save for it and a cpu and 1.5GB DDR :>

:bounce2: :bounce2:

Comment

umm.. isn't that board an SDRAM board, not DDR?

Comment

The Epox 8KHA+ is around $220aus atm but the Abit board is about is about $100aus dearer and that's the non RAID one too. :smokin:
            <center>:cheers:</center>

Comment

I feel your pain, everytime I think I've found the ultimate board, something new shows up. Now starting to see some boards with USB 2 , and ATA133 raid arrive on the market.
              if you're in a hurry to buy either of your choices sounds good, if you can wait a month or 2 you might get a chance to see if the newer ones hold up (no major defects, and good driver/BIOS support)

Comment

The Epox is certainly better value (for those of you whom money IS an object!), but I've recently stumbled across a very good performing "value" board that you might want to consider (I certainly am). It seems to sell for around $AU150 which is fantastic considering most other AMD boards sell for twice as much. It's the ECS K7S5A. Based on the SiS735 chipset. Limited reviews around the net (tomshardware.com, techwatch.com.au) have its performance match that of the KT266 chipset. Obviously won't be a leader in peformance, but from the money you save on the mobo, you can put it towards a faster CPU or more RAM and end up with the same result performance wise. :)
                Onyx

TweakTown
                OCAU - Overclockers Australia
                CPF - CandlePower Forums

Antec 1080AMG with 430W TruePower

Comment

Yes the ECS K7S5A is a good, fast, stable and cheap motherboard (one in the box beside me) but we are at TT and the overclockin'/tweakin' department is sadly lackin'. :smokin:

Comment

I currently use an MSI K7T266 Pro 2 motherboard with the KT266A VIA chipset. It runs an Athlon XP 1600+ processor with ASUS GeForce 3 graphics card.....The motherboard has lots of features and the price is right.........It has been very stable so far..........

Comment

what is the best motherboard for overclocking? because i'm getting xp1800+ and 2 x 256 ddr ram from sing on tue and need a new motherboard

Comment

The Shuttle version of the VIA KT266A is probably the champ for overclocking..........www.tomshardware.com did a test ect....The MSI K7T266 Pro will overclock as will the ASUS ect........Shuttle may have the best in overclocking, but the others are close. For the best in overclocking you need to unlock the XP of course which is not that easy. I have not tried it yet since I have no need for more speed than the XP 1600+ and GeForce 3 supply(yet).................

Comment

Tom has a different view so check this shootout out http://www4.tomshardware.com/mainboa...126/index.html :smokin:

Comment

Originally posted by ct_
                            8KTA3+Pro - my next board

now gotta save for it and a cpu and 1.5GB DDR :>

:bounce2: :bounce2:
                            i have that exact board, and there is no way u'll be squishing DDR into it, AND having it boot

Comment

Well almost every time I message Darth, he tells me positive things about his EPoX board, so that looks like a winner - he's not easily impressed!!!
                              What came first - Insanity or Society?

Comment

Working...
                              X