Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ADSL Speed and Setup

Heyaz Peepz,
    I'm upgrading to 256/64K ADSL. I was just wondering what the average download speeds I would get? On say kazaa or a P2P prog. The plan I am getting cost $70 per month and I get unlimited download. This is Austrlaian pricing. Is this the cheapest around or could I find another ADSL provider in Mlebourne that is cheaper?

Another thing that I am unsure of is the filters that need to be installed. I heard one needs to be installed for every phone in the house. Is this true?

Thanks/

The maximum you can download on 256k DSL is 32kb/s - so it will max out at the speed obviously.

Yes, if you are using multiple phones around your house on the same line, you will need a filter for each.
    Cameron "Mr.Tweak" Wilmot
    Managing Director
    Tweak Town Pty Ltd

Comment

Oooh, I see.
      Thanks for the quick reply :cheers:

Comment

Realistically, you'll probably peak out at around 26k downloading.

Just out of curiosity, what ISP is offering the $70 plan?

Comment

hehehe, TGP you can find them at www.tpg.com.au

Comment

Of course this is only monthly fee, I haven't included the modem cost etc. But I still reckon it's a good deal. 512/128K is $140 unlimited.

Comment

I pay $200 a month for 1500 / 256 DSL and get 28gb worth of downloads (14gb peak / 14gb off peak) through Netspace.
              Managing Director
              Tweak Town Pty Ltd

Comment

umm... i don't really understand how that works. 256/64K ADSL max is 32kb dl...

please explain :D

and how fast is 1.5 mbit realistically

Comment

Originally posted by stainXzero
                  umm... i don't really understand how that works. 256/64K ADSL max is 32kb dl...

please explain :D

and how fast is 1.5 mbit realistically
                  What don't you understand?

256kbit divide 8 = 32kbytes - Your maximum THEORETICAL download speed.

Maximum bandwidth from 1500kbit connection is around 187.5kb/s.
                  Managing Director
                  Tweak Town Pty Ltd

Comment

but why is it divided it 8 and why don't they just say it's 32kb dl max?

Comment

get optus cable.
                      thats what i have.
                      i have the 3 gig plan, and have never used it up.
                      i download movies, mp3s, software (all legal of course)
                      and its faster too, i get like upto 100kb/s on kazaa.
                      i get like 300 kb/s from websites with good servers and low usage.
                      i am very happy.
                      oh yeah, its $65 a month.

//alias

Comment

Originally posted by stainXzero
                        but why is it divided it 8 and why don't they just say it's 32kb dl max?
                        Quick rundown:

Bandwidth is measured in 'bits per second'. There are 8 bits in every byte. Therefore, something that is 80bits / second, is actually only 8 bytes / second.

However, as said before, that's a theoretical limit. When data is sent over the internet, it needs to send other information as well as the data you are requesting. There's all sorts of things like control signals, acknowledgement packets, etc... that take up a small portion of the bandwidth (approximately 20%, give or take under certain conditions). Therefore, you will never get the theoretical maximum.

Examples:

- 56kbps modem = 56/8 = 7Kb/s. Minus about 1.4Kb/s for overhead = 5.6Kb/s rough maximum speed.

- 256kbps ADSL line = 256/8 = 32Kb/s. Minus about 6.4Kb/s for overhead = 25.6K rough maximum speed.

(for faster ADSL speeds, just multiply the above, so 512k = about 52k, 1500k = 155-160k)

Hope that makes some sense for you now.

Comment

thanks beefy :)

i kinda understand it more now :)

Comment

Originally posted by //alias
                            get optus cable.
                            thats what i have.
                            i have the 3 gig plan, and have never used it up.
                            i download movies, mp3s, software (all legal of course)
                            and its faster too, i get like upto 100kb/s on kazaa.
                            i get like 300 kb/s from websites with good servers and low usage.
                            i am very happy.
                            oh yeah, its a month.

//alias
                            3GB, yeah right man!
                            Managing Director
                            Tweak Town Pty Ltd

Comment

Originally posted by Beefy

Examples:

- 56kbps modem = 56/8 = 7Kb/s. Minus about 1.4Kb/s for overhead = 5.6Kb/s rough maximum speed.

- 256kbps ADSL line = 256/8 = 32Kb/s. Minus about 6.4Kb/s for overhead = 25.6K rough maximum speed.

(for faster ADSL speeds, just multiply the above, so 512k = about 52k, 1500k = 155-160k)
                              It all ready depends on the download conditions though Beefy - Typically on a 1500 DSL connection, I download (at max speeds) 170kb/s - 185kb/s.
                              Managing Director
                              Tweak Town Pty Ltd

Comment

Working...
                              X