PDA

View Full Version : Windows XP Home Networking Guide

Anonymous
02-10-2002, 10:53 AM
Here is where you can ask questions about the Windows XP Home Networking Guide on TweakTown!

Albinus
02-10-2002, 11:02 AM
I got a question!!! I got a question!!! :wave:

Who proofread the article? :D

Anonymous
02-10-2002, 11:39 AM
I got a question!!! I got a question!!! :wave:

Who proofread the article? :D

Your good self, Mike and Clinton - Just to be safe, I've been out of practice... :)

Andy
02-10-2002, 01:28 PM
just had a read thru it, good job :thumb:

Acid
02-10-2002, 04:30 PM
nice guide tweak. I can see a lot of research went into it, good job!

Dr Groove
02-11-2002, 05:53 AM
A really helpful article. Just wondering:

1. once the PC 'server' machine is set up to share a DSL coinnection with other machines can one of the other machines be a Mac? Is it as simple as going into the Mac's TCP/IP settings and setting the values in the same way as with a PC?

2. the instruction: 'Click Start -> Settings -> Network Connections' doesn't seem to apply to WinXP Pro (there is no 'Settings' option under Start). On XP what is the proper path?

3. so, if I understand correctly, the DSL line goes into a NIC card on the server, and a cable from a second NIC card on the server goes out to the hub which connects to the various client machines. Is this correct? And therefore we need two NIC cards for the server, right?

Bahamut Zer0
02-11-2002, 07:14 AM
1. Just make sure your mac is 100% using TCP/IP and NOT Appletalk.

2. There SHOULD be a 'settings' menu under the start menu. Its there by default, so youve probaly done something to make it go awol. Checkout TweakUI, that might have an option to get it back.

3. Yes, and Yes. Just make sure that you configure the correct NIC for your network.

Bahamut Zer0
02-11-2002, 07:17 AM
Also, I read that the XP inbuilt Firewall only blocks INCOMING traffic only. Any and all outbound traffic is allowed through. So if you get a trojan off a cd/disc/network or something, itll work flawlessly.

I reccomend you use Sygate or Tiny for your firewall needs.

Ungulate
02-11-2002, 07:27 AM
Hello. Very helpful article. Thank you.

I have a question regarding security.
I do not wish to use ICS since my ADSL/cable is connected directly online.
Back in Windows 98, I was told NOT to bind TCP/IP to 'File and Printer Sharing' because it would be like sharing my files to the world which means my computer would be easily hacked. Instead, I was told to use Netbeui so that I would not be binding File Sharing to TCP/IP.

In Windows XP, is file sharing bound to TCP/IP? (since I can't find the Bindings tab anymore)
Is there a similar problem where my files would be easily hacked if file sharing was bound to TCP/IP?

I hope this makes sense because I'm not very proficient with the technical terms and details. :)

Thank you for your help.

Ungulate

Anonymous
02-11-2002, 12:12 PM
How do you share files/etc on Windows XP Pro with others on a LAN... so that other ppl just need to know a password to view your files (i.e. read access, RW access - diff passwords)

Been doing this via Win9x, just got upgraded to WXP Pro. Now I can't figure out how to do it except by making user accounts for everyone who needs access.

Anyone remember how to set it so users only need to know the password to get in?

Grim Reaper
02-11-2002, 12:38 PM
Unreg, u can't do it with XP. sadly, u can't set passwords on the shares :( all u can do is give certain users permissions to access it...

Ungulate, u HAVE to bind TCP/IP to file and print sharing...u just don't bind it to TCP/IP for the dial up adpater...if u have a NIC then it has to be bound to it...(well it does automatically neway)...pretty much, don't bind File and Print Sharing to dial up adapters TCP/IP (which it doesn't do by default neway)...hope that answers ur question

Bahamut Zer0, yeah ive heard that one too...i think it is true, i haven't tried anything myself tho..

:bounce:

Anonymous
02-11-2002, 02:19 PM
test

Ungulate
02-11-2002, 02:26 PM
thanks for replying, Grim Reaper.

I'm afraid my question is still at large. hehe
Please allow me to clarify :)

I have an NIC that is directly connected to ADSL/Cable, no dial-up adapter.
I understand that TCP/IP must be bound to the NIC. That sounds fine and dandy to me.

Now, we want to have File Sharing too. From my understanding, it can be bound to different protocols (is that right? Like, Netbeui, TCP/IP, etc) back in Windows 98.

So here comes my question:
In WinXP, IF file sharing is bound to TCP/IP, what is the likelihood of someone hacking into my computer seeing as TCP/IP is also used to access the Internet.

I hope that clears up my question :)
Thank you so much for your time!

Cheers!

Ungulate

Anonymous
02-11-2002, 02:31 PM
Nice article.

1. I don't think XP Pro has a "settings" option under start. You seem to have go to "My Network Places" > "View Network Connections" to get there. I have installed Win XP Pro on several systems and even my WinXP Pro (pre-intalled) Dell laptop doesn't have a "settings" option under start.

2. Another thing is that I don't get the (paraphrasing) "Cat 6 cable can transfer data at speeds from one computer on the network to another faster than 2 hard drives in the same computer could." Is Cat 6 really faster than ATA/133/166's actual transfer rates and will Cat 6 become a standard before serial ATA drives become available (can't remember actual transfer speeds).

Thanks,

Dave (too lazy to register for one post :))

Wiggo
02-11-2002, 03:05 PM
Yes Cat6 has the possability there to be very fast, but that's if better standards than the present PCI one come in as that would totally saturate that bus. :smokin:

Andy
02-11-2002, 03:16 PM
Yes Cat6 has the possability there to be very fast, but that's if better standards than the present PCI one come in as that would totally saturate that bus. :smokin:

its called 64bit PCI wiggo ;) :p

Wiggo
02-11-2002, 03:19 PM
Even at the speeds their talkin' that may become saturated to it's the new AMD and Intel buses that are needed to handle that sort of bandwidth. :smokin:

Andy
02-11-2002, 03:20 PM
fine tehn.... 128 bit PCI :p :devil win

Anonymous
02-11-2002, 05:31 PM
Nice guide. But I'd like to make a few comments.

XP by default uses simplified sharing so as not to confuse beginners, but you can enable an advanced version of it, with a few more options.

Also, you mention BNC as an outdated technology. This is true indeed, but you fail to mention it's only advantage in a home enviroment - it doesn't require a hub or a switch, therefore it costs much less than an UTP setup.

Finally, some more comments not strictly related to home computing...

"The Default gateway and Preferred DNS server entries are used to tell your computer what computer on the network to use for access to the Internet... This is just an example of how advanced and clever Windows XP’s Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) really is"

Gihihi. This has nothing to do with XP's cleverness, this is how you should configure your TCP/IP stack, according to the RFCs. It was the same with Win'95, and it was the same twenty years ago...

"there’d be no chance in seeing 64-bit operations in the near future if Windows 95 or NT were never conceived"

LOL! You mean that the already existing 64 bit operating systems, like True64, Solaris, HP-UX, IRIX, Digital Unix or AIX can thank their existence to Windows 95? Muhahaha, what a strange point of view ;) Come on, Microsoft operating systems were always the last to implement the change to the next level of operation width. There's nothing wrong or surprising with this either, as MS were mostly concentrating on the desktop field.

Anonymous
02-11-2002, 07:45 PM
The first time I set up a network using WinXP I used the Network Setup Wizard and it caused all manner of chaos, apart from the fact that it didn't work. I went through the Wizard over an over again on all XP Computers and I could not get two XP computers talking to each other. I did the same on two different XP networks with no luck.

So next time, I did it ALL by hand and left the Network Setup Wizard alone - This time it all worked fine and there has been no looking back since.

I'm not a professional but I do know what I am doing as the processes described in the article are the ones I follow normally.

Also, perhaps you should have mentioned in the tutorial that by not assigning static IP addresses, the computers will all negotiate their IP addresses, slowing things down. Typically, in my network, I experienced access delays of 2 minutes before computers could be accessed if not using static IP addresses.

Anonymous
02-11-2002, 10:58 PM
DHCP would have fixed this but I'm not all that familair with it myself.

Sorry people for not replying to your messages, I've had computer problems...

Anonymous
02-11-2002, 11:23 PM
/DHCP would have fixed this but I'm not all that familair with it myself./

?

?

?

DHCP is enabled by default for TCP/IP network on XP Pro(Havn't used home)

jjzimm
02-12-2002, 02:13 AM
Here's my situation.....My roommate and I both have computers and are hooked up to Roadrunner cable internet....Originally I tried to network our computers and share internet connection....But I couldn;t get it for some reason....At the time I had WIN98SE and so did he.... I ended up hooking the cable modem into a router, and the router into a switch...and the computers are both in the switch....(it;s a 2 port (1 in, 1 out) router and a 5 port switch...noth linksys)

So thats how we shared internet, but we do not have a network.....I want a network though.....

I am currently running Windows XP Prof. but my friend still has 98SE (many of his programs are not compatable with XP).
I have a Dual PIII 1000MHz CPU, 512mb Ram, geforce 3 Ti 500 (soon to be Geforce 4 4600 !!!!), and major cooling :)...as well as many case mods......

anyway, I want to know if I can network these computers easily with the hardware I currently have, and how I would do that....If there's a quick way to explain the whole thing that would be great....I am very up to date on all computer language (its what I'm going to school for) so that may save explaining time, given I know what I'm doing......It's just I haven't done any networking yet and don't know exactly what I'm doing :)......Thanks, Josh

troubled mind
02-13-2002, 08:18 AM
hi. liked the article, very thorough.

I just setup my first network and i cant get my second computer to connect to quake 3 online through the gateway computer.
the gateway is running XP and the second one is running 98. To get the second one to connect to the internet I used a proxy program (from analogX). I'm prettty sure all of the settings are correct, and im not having any other problems. Any help would be appreciated. :confused:

Beefy
02-13-2002, 08:45 AM
DHCP is enabled by default for TCP/IP network on XP Pro(Havn't used home)

DHCP is enabled, but to make proper use of DHCP, you need a DHCP server, which computers without static IP addresses look for when they boot up. If a server is available, the computer will be given an IP address from the server. If there is no server, and there is no static address, then Windows will allocate a default IP address to the network connection. This used to be something along the lines of 168.?.?.? (from memory, could be wrong).

So yes, WinXP does have DHCP support, but it's not much good with a DHCP server on the same network.

Beefy
02-13-2002, 08:47 AM
Here's my situation.....My roommate and I both have computers and are hooked up to Roadrunner cable internet....Originally I tried to network our computers and share internet connection....But I couldn;t get it for some reason....At the time I had WIN98SE and so did he.... I ended up hooking the cable modem into a router, and the router into a switch...and the computers are both in the switch....(it;s a 2 port (1 in, 1 out) router and a 5 port switch...noth linksys)

So thats how we shared internet, but we do not have a network.....I want a network though.....

anyway, I want to know if I can network these computers easily with the hardware I currently have, and how I would do that....If there's a quick way to explain the whole thing that would be great....I am very up to date on all computer language (its what I'm going to school for) so that may save explaining time, given I know what I'm doing......It's just I haven't done any networking yet and don't know exactly what I'm doing :)......Thanks, Josh

Ummm.. If you have two computers hooked up via a switch and they can both access the Internet, then you HAVE a network already dude.. :)

I'm not quite sure what your idea of a network is, but you've got one set up already.

jjzimm
02-13-2002, 09:03 AM
no, we can't share files or even see each others computer....we have the ip split with this setup....I've messed around with sharing settings too and still dont get anything...

Beefy
02-13-2002, 09:24 AM
you have the IP split? well, your computer language has got me there.. I got no idea what you are on about...

If you have a look at the IP addresses on the two computers and the router, they should all start off with the three same numbers... ie: 192.168.0.?? (could be different... not important at the moment).. One way to test the two computers is to 'ping' the other. This can be done by going to a DOS command prompt (Run - command in 98, Run - cmd in XP) and then typing 'ping ???.???.???.???', where the question marks represent the IP address of the PC you want to ping. Example:

Computer 1 IP: 192.168.0.2
Computer 2 IP: 192.168.0.3

On computer 1, type 'ping 192.168.0.3'... you'll either get a result showing on screen, or it will say 'Request timed out'... Chances are you'll get a result though...

All that going well, you should be set for the next part. With the two computers, if you go into the network settings, you should be able to activate File and Printer Sharing. It also helps if both computers are part of the same workgroup, but it's not necessary.

After you activate F&P sharing, share a folder on your computer by right clicking, and going to the sharing option.. Then, from the other computer, see if you can access it via Network Neighbourhood / My Network Places...

Hope that all made sense...

ashdragon75
02-14-2002, 07:03 PM
my question is this:-
as the built in XP firewall is so crap how do i go about getting ICS to work with a real firewall program, Ie Sygate Personal Firewall.
whenever i have sygate runing i cannot get the 2nd machine to access the internet at all and i have tried all the settings i can find but nothing works, there MUST be a way to do it surely???
file sharing via TCP/IP works ok still but anything other than that falls over, ie Morpheus, NAV antivirus update, web browsing etc.

any ideas???
thanks

edit:
oh yeah, anyone that can help me , please feel free to email me... :-)

Beefy
02-14-2002, 07:22 PM
Don't really know much about firewalls, but try this:

Disable the firewall and set up the connection.. Make sure you can get through BEFORE the firewall is set up.. No point trying if you can't connect properly to begin with.

Then, within the firewall somewhere, there should be places where you can set restrictions and also set trusted IP addresses or something to allow the traffic to flow..

Andy
02-15-2002, 12:46 PM
well i had to put the ip address of the computers on the network in the trused ip's for mine to work, i've got Norton Personal Firewall BTW

Anonymous
02-16-2002, 02:01 AM
Ok here's my situation. I've got a cable modem run to a SMC wireless barricade run to a nice hand-me-down 3Com 24-port 10/100 switch. 3 computers plugged in to the switch currently, nobody being wireless yet (one thing at a time).

Laptop running 98se, desktop running 98se, desktop running XP Home. All 3 can see the internet fine, all 3 optaining IPs via DHCP from the router no problem. Drives shared on all 3 PCs as full access. All in same workgroup. XP machine can see the other 2 in the "list others in workgroup" function, but I get "Access denied" errors when attempting to open them. Both 98 machines see each other, can map to each other, all as it should be. 98 machines can't see the XP box. Seems like a permissions problem somewhere, somehow with the XP side, but I'm having trouble tracking it down.

Can anyone shed some light?

Beefy
02-16-2002, 03:53 PM
Try this:

on the XP machine, Run gpedit.msc...

Should get the screen down below...

Two setting you will want to change.. The top one (Access this computer from the network...) and the one i've got selected.. In the top one, add the Guest account to the list, and remove it from other one (deny access...)

Then see if you can access a share...

Another thing to try, even though it's really crap, is to try the NetBIOS protocol.. though it sucks...

Albinus
02-16-2002, 04:02 PM

CAT6 is now specified for 1Gbps (125MB/sec), which will almost completely choke the 32-bit PCI bus (maximum bandwidth 133MB/sec). The problem is that all but the fastest SCSI RAID arrays are incapable of writing data at 125MB/sec, so the utilisation will be well down on CAT6's potential.

And CAT6 is almost finalised in standard (up to Draft 13 I think? :?: ) so it will be here very soon - already some businesses where I live are rolling out CAT6 installations to remain futureproof :)

hbidad
02-18-2002, 08:42 AM
Hello guys, I am confused....I had a network with 2 pc's but I had to order another Ip address from my ISP to make it work using a Linksys 4 port Switch/router....(sold the second pc and cancled it)

The way mentioned in the Guide says you can change them to anything I like?

Let say I got my pc with cable connection... and in the guide it would be called "Server". Do I leave the Server pc's IP alone since it needs it to connect to the web and make up one for the Client?

What I want to be able to do is share files, printers and Internet from my main pc.

The second pc is just p133 that I use to run 98 for some of my projects that dont run well with XP

XP pro on the main box and 98se on the second box

Beefy
02-18-2002, 09:19 AM
From my limited knowledge on this, if you are using a switch / router, then the IP address you obtained from your ISP should have gone to the router port which connects you to the outside world. The other side of the router should have an address in the same subnet as the rest of your network. You then set the router's internal address as the default gateway on the two machines, so they can access the internet.

Hope that makes sense, and I hope I'm not leading you astray here.. if I'm wrong, someone else should be able to tell you...

troubled mind
02-19-2002, 09:12 AM
I just setup my first network and i cant get my second computer to connect to the online servers for quake 3 or starcraft through the gateway computer. I also cant make a direct conection with AIM.

The gateway is running XP pro and the second one is running 98. To get the second one to connect to the internet I used a proxy program (from analogX). I'm prettty sure all of the settings are correct, and im not having any other problems. Any help would be appreciated.

When I read about the evils of drinking, I gave up reading.
- Henny Youngman

:cheers:

T-Bird 1400 @1551(fsb 141)
256MB DDR 2700
GeForce2 Ti 64MB (O/C'ed)
40GB 7200rpm HD

sKuLLsHoT
02-19-2002, 12:52 PM
Ok here's my situation. I've got a cable modem run to a SMC wireless barricade run to a nice hand-me-down 3Com 24-port 10/100 switch. 3 computers plugged in to the switch currently, nobody being wireless yet (one thing at a time).

Laptop running 98se, desktop running 98se, desktop running XP Home. All 3 can see the internet fine, all 3 optaining IPs via DHCP from the router no problem. Drives shared on all 3 PCs as full access. All in same workgroup. XP machine can see the other 2 in the "list others in workgroup" function, but I get "Access denied" errors when attempting to open them. Both 98 machines see each other, can map to each other, all as it should be. 98 machines can't see the XP box. Seems like a permissions problem somewhere, somehow with the XP side, but I'm having trouble tracking it down.

Can anyone shed some light?

i have been told repeatedly by retailers that the HOME version of XP is NOT NETWORKABLE - hence such problems occur ^^

correct me if i'm wrong please, so i can inform the networks that they only need XP Home not Pro

Wiggo
02-19-2002, 01:16 PM
XP Home can be networked but has very limited capabilities so if ya networking XP Pro is the way to go. :smokin:
<center>:cheers:</center>

Albinus
02-19-2002, 05:03 PM
Windows XP Home supports peer-to-peer networking but not domain based stuff :(

troubled mind
02-23-2002, 04:07 AM
hi.
this post will be my third time posting on a message board. my previous posts (both on this thread) have gone unanswered and i dont know why. if im doing something wrong would someone please let me know. :confused: :( :confused:

Wiggo
02-23-2002, 09:45 AM
troubled mind[/size]]
hi.
this post will be my third time posting on a message board. my previous posts (both on this thread) have gone unanswered and i dont know why. if im doing something wrong would someone please let me know. :confused: :( :confused:
I'm sorry about the lack of responce ya getting but I just use M$'s ICS and have no probs with the other computer connecting but I'll see if I can get someone knowledgable on the subject to help ya. :smokin:

Kheldar
02-23-2002, 10:17 AM
ok troubled Mind,

My first question is why are u using a proxy program, because u might just be better off using ICS

I used to use wingate, it was a pain in the arse to setup (its not as bad as it used to be) but when it was working it worked really well (alot better than ICS)

does the program you are using have any firewall technolgy in it? because it might be blocking you.

I've also seen some proggies that only share HTML/FTP but don't allow you to run other protocols such as what is required to play a game online.

have u got a link to the website where the proggy is from (i'm being lazy and can't bothered to search for it) :beer:

troubled mind
02-24-2002, 04:59 AM
thx kheldar,

the proxy comes from AnalogX: http://www.analogx.com/contents/download/network.htm

i really dont know much about networking and just used this proxy 'cause it was the first thing i tried that worked at all. it lists what protocols it supports but i dont know which ones i need for gaming. what do u use to connect your network to the internet?

"The problem with the world is that everyone is a few drinks behind."
- Humphrey Bogart.
:beer:

Anonymous
03-09-2002, 03:08 AM
i have been told repeatedly by retailers that the HOME version of XP is NOT NETWORKABLE - hence such problems occur ^^

correct me if i'm wrong please, so i can inform the networks that they only need XP Home not Pro

You're wrong there bud. I'm sharing internet, files, print and everything with XP home...

Anonymous
03-09-2002, 08:18 AM
thanks for the help guys, but i think im just going to give up and install windows xp on my second system.

reality is an illusion, albeit, a very persistant one. -Albert Einstein

Anonymous
03-09-2002, 08:50 AM
^ Not my post ^ :(

hbidad
03-09-2002, 08:56 AM
Mr. Tweak, you are from Chicago???? WTH?

Newbie Tweaker?

umm.... having a security issue?

hmmm....now you are not registered....Weird

troubled mind
03-10-2002, 05:08 AM
that "mr. tweak" unregistered post was by me. I typed in my name and password in the post. I have no idea how that happened, but its kinda wierd.

Wiggo
03-10-2002, 08:09 AM
Yeah it seems to be a problem when mainly logging in at the post reply page so if ppl who need to login can do it at the forum main page for the momment until we find what is causing this it will be a great help. :smokin:

Robbo
11-03-2002, 08:13 PM
Nice Guide:thumb: ,
The only problem i'm having with my network, is the average transfer speed from one computer to my own computer is JUST 5KB a second :eek:, but if I go one of the other 2 computers I can recieve any files at about 10-100 mb a second. I have a 10mb and 100mb hub, all cables are working correctly, all drivers are installed up to date, and i'm running Windows XP Pro, Can anyone PLEASE help me
Robbo

Wiggo
11-03-2002, 08:22 PM
Hubs generally drop to the lowest speed connection and there's plently of collision loss with them. If ya want to speed ya network up then get a 10/100 switch as this will cut the collision loss out and speed things up. ;)

Another thing to try is to uninstall TCP/IP and reinstall it again in case it has become corrupted. :)

G Smith
11-04-2002, 02:48 AM
Anyone ever used the file "hosts" in the

C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\DRIVERS\etc

It's a way of maping the IP address to host names and could make networking a bit easier.

It was suggested that I use this file when I was having problems with my wireless network. I can find a networked computer by IP address but not by it's MSHOME name....

I finally got things to work just by mapping things to the internal network ip... 192.168.xxx.xxx but I'm having a bit of a problem with the third computer I set up. The problem only started after I faxed some stuff from the third computer...

It sees the network and all the shares and works just fine, for about 10 minutes, then it just drops it's connection....when I select to connect to the network it connects fine (and quickly). But again drops the connection in a matter of minutes.

I'm wondering if by defining the IP addresses and computer names in this file if it will help with the problem.

My Set up.

Win XP Pro Pentium III with USB wireless adapter
Win XP Pro Athlon with USB wireless adapter
Win ME Pentium III with USB wireless adapter.

Cable Modem ----->4 port cable/dsl/printer router--->RG 1000 wireless Hub with Cable Modem Connection. DHCP is enabled

Able to ping all computers, net view all shares, share files and printers..

It's just the third XP Pro Athlon drops it's connection.

G Smith
11-05-2002, 02:18 PM
Wow..

Using the host file really worked...

Network is up and stable now between all three comps. The names resolve and I don't drop connection.

Robbo
11-06-2002, 05:22 PM
Sorry Wiggo, that didn't help, even with a crossover cable, I can only receive files at 5kb a second, while I can on my other computer still transfer files at a minimum of 3mb/ sec , any other ideas?
Thanks
Robbo

Wiggo
11-06-2002, 10:59 PM
Check the properties to the nic as it maybe set to half duplex instead of full duplex. ;)

disco_stu87
02-08-2003, 08:02 AM
please help i have been at this for ages my network transfers ok one way but about half or less the other way i watched the network bandwidth graph in task manager and it bearly uses 20% but about 80% the other way

setup :-

netgear DG814 10/100 adsl switch

windows XP / 3com 10/100 (server)<- ( likes to be called server she isnt ) mum

windows XP / 3com 10/100 <- me

windows XP / 3com 10/100 <-sis ( but she receives hundreds of CRC errors in 100 :hmph: )

all full duplex mum is 100 me is 100 sis 10 but hers transfers fine for speed all up-to-date drivers (mine and my mums cards are identical

3com EtherLink 10/100 PCI For Complete PC Managment NIC (3C905C-TX)

my sis is a

3com EtherLink 10/100 PCI NIC (3C905B-TX)

all networks pings are less than 1ms by using ping 192.168.0.x

the slow transfer is from me to my mum

i will be very great full for ne help :knife:

CheeZmonZter
02-08-2003, 01:32 PM
This may be a rehash of some of the stuff that is being posted on the thread. I have a host machine tha is WIN XP pro and a machine that is WIN 98 SE. I am trying to get the 98 Machine to access the internet thru the XP machine. The two machines will talk to each other thru the LAN hub but the 98 comp will not try and get online. Any thoughts on this will help out as this is one of my 1st attempts to do a ICS.

kane2g
02-08-2003, 02:02 PM
I got simmilar setup XP pro as the main comp. connected to internet, i got 98 and another XP connected and surfin, and printin and sharin, oh my!
NE way. I got the main one as 192.167.0.1, so you got to use that as your gateway, also making sure that you use the same subnet mask for all and that your ip is not set to 0 or 255, as those are Special. Also making sure that the workgroup names are the same.

It works for me, as it should.

disco_stu87
02-08-2003, 11:37 PM
ok heres the rest of the setup :-

ADSL router 10/100 DG814 / 192.168.0.1 / 255.255.255.0

me / 192.168.0.3 / 255.255.255.0

mum / 192.168.0.2 / 255.255.255.0

sis / 192.168.0.4 / 255.255.255.0

all comp set by me in TCP/IP properties

all comps in same workgroup MSHOME

its the speed proplem AND what is annoying me is that if i set my sis to 100 she get 100's of CRC errors and frame alignment errors :cry: if ne of u smart people have ne tips or advice im glad to listen becuase i want a 100% full speed @ 100mpbs network :king:

Kage87Z
02-13-2003, 07:18 AM
Here is where you can ask questions about the Windows XP Home Networking Guide on TweakTown!

I'm looking for the attachment... the guide itself. Where is it, and how can I get it?

Mr.Tweak
02-13-2003, 07:50 AM
I'm looking for the attachment... the guide itself. Where is it, and how can I get it?

http://www.tweaktown.com/document.php?dType=guide&dId=178

Kage87Z
02-13-2003, 09:02 AM
Thanks!