Athlon MP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Athlon MP

hi pplss..sorry this is kinda a stoopid question..but wanted 2 get myself in the forums anyway..

wat's the difference between the Athlon MP and the other Athlons?:?:
    and would u guys prefer the XPs to the T birds?
    dunny y ..but i still prefer my T bird.. heheh

Abit KG7 Raid, AMD T-Bird [email protected], Thermalright SK6 with 80mm YStech fan, DigiDoc5, 40 Gig IBM 60GXP, Creative soundblaster Live platinum 5.1, PlexWriter 16X, LG DVD Rom..and no more £££.

from what I've read the only difference between an MPand an XP is the the MP has been qualified for dual DPU use - that's not to say an XP won't work - it just hasn't been qualified
    So really the MP is just a more expensive XP

Oh yeah - MP's ship unlocked - Xp's have the L1's cut

Comment

And as for the second question, I think I can say most people would prefer an XP over a Thunderbird, if they had a choice :D.

Comment

True. Not only do they come in faster clock speeds, but they are cooler and also support the SSE instructions that Intel first brought out. While that may not seem like much, it makes a large difference when you consider that a LOT of software manufacturers optimized their programs for the SSE instruction set. :)
        Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
        My Toys

Comment

cool...never knew that...
          thanks guys:thumb:

Comment

The main thing is that MP's are guaranteed to work together where ya may find that one particular XP won't work with others. ;)
            <center></center>

Comment

Originally posted by Wiggo
              The main thing is that MP's are guaranteed to work together where ya may find that one particular XP won't work with others. ;)
              <center></center>
              If you're lucky enough to have a dual board :)

Comment

Yeah there's that too. ;)
                EPoX, Gigabyte, Abit and MSI were all suppose to be releasin' boards based on the AMD 760MPX chipset last month but nothing other than what was seen at Comdex has surfaced. :?:
                <center></center>

Comment

I heard that AMD might start making the XP cpu's incapable of running in SMP, which would be a real shame considering how much cheaper they are than the MP's.

As for dual motherboards, I'm looking forward to getting my hands on this one from Gigabyte myself. :)

Ripped from x-bit labs:

AMD Athlon and AMD Duron CPUs;
                  AMD 762 North Bridge and AMD 768 South Bridge;
                  Four 184-pin DIMM slots supporting up to 4GB of DDR memory;
                  Integrated Promise PDC20267 ATA/100 IDE RAID controller supporting RAID 0, 1, 0+1;
                  Integrated Intel Pro/100+ (Intel 82559) network controller;
                  4 USB ports;
                  AGP Pro50 slot;
                  Two 64bit/66MHz PCI slots;
                  Three 32bit/33MHz PCI slots;
                  ATX form-factor.

"We would like to mention that GA-7DPXDW can also work with the non-Registered DDR DIMM modules, if there are not more than two of them used. Moreover, there are no special requirements to the power supply unit, and any device compliant with the ATX 2.03 spec can be used. The mass shipments of Gigabyte GA-7DPXDW should start in December."

Comment

Well I'm happy with my thunderbird right now!! It hits 1500mhz without brutal overclocking! And it's also cool!

Comment

xp = mp just that on the motherboard it displays XP/MP

put an XP into a tyan mobo supporting MP and you'll see MP

mp costs more, its the same as XP though...

but then again..amd found out and is now looking into it...:rolleyes:

Comment

I actually posted this last night in the Web News but it's a breif look at Abit's A7M266-D based on the AMD 760MPX chipset. ;)
                        <center></center>

Comment

The MP's come with extra stuff. eg they ca talk to each other withought having to go through the Northbridge like the XPs or Intels, and have other optimizations.

The XPs still go pretty well in a dual system even without the extras.

Comment

dracko, they are exactly the same, its just how the motherboard recognizes it...

Comment

Working...
                            X