PDA

View Full Version : can i....

Synthetic
02-11-2002, 04:16 PM
i have more than 1 account on my XP system and a dial up internet connection...what i want to know is can i switch between users while remaining connected to the net? if so. how do i do this?

Andy
02-11-2002, 04:20 PM
i dunno if this will work, but you go
start > logoff > switch user
to my knowledge, this doesn't log the other user off, it just logs into another account

Synthetic
02-11-2002, 04:20 PM
sorry i should have mentioned that i did try that and it didnt work for me...

Andy
02-11-2002, 04:22 PM
:\
i'm out of ideas (even tho it was only one :p)

Synthetic
02-11-2002, 04:25 PM
all good andy. thanks anyway
i too thought that would work but it d/c'ed me :(, maybe i have something i need to change in my settings? i dunno? anyone else?

ne0z
02-12-2002, 12:13 AM
if you create the same dialup account in both user accounts I think it may allow you to stay on. Also in the properties of the dialup make sure it says that other users can use this account. I don't know if that will work but give it a try

Synthetic
02-12-2002, 10:06 AM
k thx for ur suggestions guys...

i got it working.
what you have to do is:
- make sure you have the same connection/settings in both accounts(which i had)
- set it as the default connection in both accounts (i only had it as default in mine)
- check "always dial my default connection"(i had "dial whenever a network connection is not present)

after doing all that, simply go to Log Off> Switch user, and if all of the above is the same in both accounts, she'll be shweet!;)
:cheers:

ne0z
02-12-2002, 10:45 AM
Glad we could be of service

Synthetic
02-12-2002, 10:50 AM
even though u didnt actually give me the solution ;) hehe. nah thanks for tryin anyway....i think i remember seeing that option that you suggested but for the life of me i couldnt find it today..-shrugs- oh well, didnt need it anyway

Thoric
03-03-2002, 02:57 PM
i have tried this method, and it does not seem to work.

all 3 user accounts have Telstra as the default connection, and its set to always dial the default connection in all accounts. a shortcut is in the "All Users" profile. do i have to make a new connection in every account for this to work?

Synthetic
03-03-2002, 10:38 PM
just an idea..
try right clicking "my network places"
double click on ur connection(while u are offline)
and see if u have "save this user name and password for the following users is checked.." and under that..."anyone who uses this computer"
good luck....

sKuLLsHoT
03-04-2002, 11:57 AM
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q305896

just worth noting

Thoric
03-04-2002, 01:50 PM
just an idea..
try right clicking "my network places"
double click on ur connection(while u are offline)
and see if u have "save this user name and password for the following users is checked.." and under that..."anyone who uses this computer"
good luck....

yeah its already set, still no luck..:mad: :mad:

well i tried searching the Microsoft Support thanks to the tipoff by sks, and no help.

Thoric
03-04-2002, 01:57 PM
got it working, fast user switching :) :)

works for me, doesnt work for others?

Synthetic
03-04-2002, 02:50 PM
um..check above man..that was what we were saying at the start of the thread...what were u doing?