Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: ASROCK X58 EXTREME RANDOM SHUTDOWN - 4870 Crossfire?

Default ASROCK X58 EXTREME RANDOM SHUTDOWN - 4870 Crossfire?

Hello ASROCK Sean and co.

I built a new X58 Extreme system based on the review at Toms. Using the same memory, i7 930 and Radeon 4870 in Crossfire for the components.

Ive upgraded to the 2.2 BIOS and do overclock the board. Currently running 4.1 at 195 BCLCK. VCore (without droop) 2.9375, DRAM 1.654, IOH 1.203, IOHCSI 1.2, VTT 1.41, CPU PLL 1.88. Temps in the 50s. Memory running at 7-7-7-20 (SPD).

This board is ROCK SOLID, my only issue is that when I enable Crossfire with my 2 Visiontek 4870s I can experience a random shutdown! ie everything just turns off like my power switched down. I immediately thought it was an underpowered PSU so I went out and got an OCZ certified crossfire PSU but the problem continues. As an example I most notabley see it with Dragon Age game. If I enable crossfire the computer turns off in a matter of minutes. With crossfire disabled, I can play for hours. If I have crossfire enabled at STOCK CPU settings the same issue will occur so OCing is not the likely culprit.

This can be replicated with other programs, but Dragon Age is a sure bet within minutes to shut the computer off with Crossfire enabled. I've searched all over the web and cannot find solution to problem.

Thank you for you help.

Mack

Default Re: ASROCK X58 EXTREME RANDOM SHUTDOWN - 4870 Crossfire?

I am having a similar problem running the ASROCKS X58 Extreme, i7 920 CPU, 6 Gb G-Skill DDR3 1333 ram, single PCI-e Radeon 4870 not Crossfire connected & running Windows 7 OS. Bios and video settings are at default.

I started getting random Blue screen crashes (related to a driver) and system would reboot and send error report to windows. Crashes increased in frequency, Microsoft troubleshooter reported issue with Video driver which I updated. Problem continued so I also replaced the power supply and tested the memory, to no avail.

After 3-1/2 months I tried replacing the video card with a PCI-e GeForce GTX 260. I have had fewer crashes but they still occur about once per week on average for the last 6 weeks.

I would appreciate it if anyone has any suggestions on how to solve this issue.

SShaw

Dear Machnatack,

We have tested two PowerColor HD4870 VGA card with CrossFire over two days, we didn't see the similar symptom like yours.
    Following is our test configuration.
    M/B: X58 Extreme
    BIOS version: P2.30
    CPU: i7-920
    DRAM: Kingston DDR3-1333-2G
    HDD: Hitachi SATA2-250G
    VGA: PowerColor HD4870 with CrossFire (Catalacy 10.5)
    PowerSupply: 1000w

Following suggestion is for your reference.
    1.Please update your BIOS to P2.40.
    BIOS P2.50 download link
    2.Pleas update your VGA driver to 10.5 then try again.
    Link: Graphics Drivers & Software
    3.Please set the DRAM voltage to higher level.

Thanks!

Best Wishes
    Sean

Thanks

Best Wishes
    Sean
    ASRock Tech Support Staff

Following suggestion is for your reference.
    1.Please update your BIOS to P2.40.
    BIOS P2.50 download link
    2.Pleas update your VGA driver to 10.5 then try again.
    Link: Graphics Drivers & Software
    3.Please set the DRAM voltage to higher level.

Thanks!

Best Wishes
    Sean

Thanks

Best Wishes
    Sean[/QUOTE]

1) Updated to BIOS P2.40
    2) Updated to Catalyst 10.6
    3) Bumped DRAM Voltage a .1V intervals up to 1.9V

Results: Same.

Unlike the responder on my thread above, Id like to note I do not get any BSOD or crash errors/memory dumps. The system just powers off or freezes, when I reboot windows does not even recognize the crash with safeboot options.

Confident this is a hardware issue just not sure where the issue is. As I stated before I can run the MOBO at stock everything and Dragon Age will crash within a minute usually.

So very odd. For reference I am running 2x4870 Visionteks.

Any other thoughts appreciated - if you need any system info let me know.

Thanks.

Mack

Thread Information