Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Chasis fan speed control on entry level boards

Default Chasis fan speed control on entry level boards

I don't know what is involved in this extra component/bios wise but it is a real bug bear of mine that the entry level boards have no chassis fan speed control (G31M-GS R2.0, N68-GS etc).

It can be so annoying when the system is louder than it should be and that noise is coming from a chassis fan running at full speed, 0% 25% 50% 75% & 100% would be great options to have.

Also why do some of the boards have a CPU fan speed index that makes no sense i.e Level 1-10, it should either be like the other models that have slow, medium, fast or 10% 20% etc

BTW Sean TSD out of interest where are you based?

Default Re: Chasis fan speed control on entry level boards

I use silent fans on my computer. Most fans that come with a computer are loud. I have fans that push the same amount of air but are nearly silent. They have special blade profiles and such to achieve that silence. I am sold on using silent fans. I would rather use my computer for what I got it for and not have to adjust fans as ambient changes, or load changes. I just plug the silent fans into the 3 pin headers. On boards that have four pin headers, you could get silent fans with four pins, then they would also be OS-controlled based on load.

What's the difference between, 10%---100% steps (percents are simply ratios of one number to another after all, versus 1 through 10? Basically it is ten speeds. your example of 25, 50, 75, etc. are simply four speeds. Which is better? How fine tuned can you get?

Default Re: Chasis fan speed control on entry level boards

I am talking from a volume system building point of view, there is really no need for silent fans when the chassis fan does not need to be running at 100%. H55M gives options to adjust the chassis fan speed (I presume this is becuase it is a more expensive board).

What's the difference between, 10%---100% steps (percents are simply ratios of one number to another after all, versus 1 through 10?
    Nothing at all I was just pondering why asrock present it in as Level 1-10 when % based would make more sense and why some boards you have the option Level 1-10 and on others you have the option slow, medium & fast. Which ever way they choose to present the setting it would be nice if it was consistant accross all of thier boards where possible.

Thread Information