Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Can't power on new 870 extreme3 with gskill ripjaws 1600 sticks

Default Can't power on new 870 extreme3 with gskill ripjaws 1600 sticks

Just got a 870 extreme3 and phenom ii x3 720 with a pair of gskill F3-12800CL7D-4GBRM 4gb sticks. Video card is an evga 8600GT 256mb card. For the purposes of testing all other devices were unplugged from the board and power supply.

Here's the problem - I put it all together, mash the power button and the power comes on for almost a half second and it goes off. If I take out the sticks of ram, it'll power on and stay on, albeit with a no memory error code. Is my ram bad? I have no other sticks to test with, unless it's backwards compatible with DDR2, I could borrow the sticks out of my wife's PC.
    Last edited by tentacles; 08-13-2010 at 03:26 AM. Reason: add more information

Default Re: Can't power on new 870 extreme3 with gskill ripjaws 1600 sticks

That sounds like you either have a stick of bad RAM or the RAM isn't getting along with the CPU. I would try researching CPU/RAM compatibility and use a fresh stick of something you know is compatible. There's a compatibility list on the AMD website.

Most Big computer stores allow you to return ram... go purchase some for testing and if it doesn't work... well...

Good Luck!

Thread Information