Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: K7VT4A Pro fans run in suspend to RAM

Default K7VT4A Pro fans run in suspend to RAM

I've activated S3/Suspend to RAM sleep mode in BIOS, but the CPU and power supply fans stay on when I go to standby mode. I'm using Windows XP Home and have tried some utilities that are supposed to force S3.

Is there a fix to make the fans turn off?

Default Re: K7VT4A Pro fans run in suspend to RAM

Not sure if this is exactly what you are experiencing, but some power supplies (e.g. the Enermax NoiseTaker II I'm using right now) will run their fans even after a system has been shut off, until they have cooled down sufficiently. Similarly, I believe some motherboards have been designed to continue to operate the CPU fan if the processor is at high temperatures when the system is put into standby, but will allow them to be shut off when the system is turned completely off. If you haven't yet, see if the fans continue to run for upwards of 30 or more minutes - it could simply be that things have not yet cooled down to the threshold where the fans would automatically switch themselves off yet, in prior tests. I know that on hot summer days after my computer had been on for a while, it was not uncommon for me to wonder exactly when the power supply fan would finally turn off when I went to bed at night. :P

Default Re: K7VT4A Pro fans run in suspend to RAM

Quote Originally Posted by JWK View Post
    Not sure if this is exactly what you are experiencing, but some power supplies (e.g. the Enermax NoiseTaker II I'm using right now) will run their fans even after a system has been shut off, until they have cooled down sufficiently. Similarly, I believe some motherboards have been designed to continue to operate the CPU fan if the processor is at high temperatures when the system is put into standby, but will allow them to be shut off when the system is turned completely off. If you haven't yet, see if the fans continue to run for upwards of 30 or more minutes - it could simply be that things have not yet cooled down to the threshold where the fans would automatically switch themselves off yet, in prior tests. I know that on hot summer days after my computer had been on for a while, it was not uncommon for me to wonder exactly when the power supply fan would finally turn off when I went to bed at night. :P
    My PSU doesn't do anything nearly that elaborate (it wasn't even made in this century), and the K7VT4A Pro is just a Socket A board running a 1.6 GHz Duron with a "whopping" 64K L2 cache.

Thread Information