Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: eSATA on 870 Extreme3

Question eSATA on 870 Extreme3

Hello.

So, when my old HP desktop didn't survive the upgrades I tried to give it, I decided to build a new desktop from scratch, starting with an 870 Extreme3 motherboard.

Everything about it is great! Except...I'm trying to plug in a drive through the eSATA port...but it's not being recognized (I can access it using FireWire 800). Looking through the manual, it says that AHCI needs to be enabled to allow "hot-swap." However, it says you're supposed to enable that before you install the OS. (Win7 Pro 64) D'oh.

So, can I change the setting even after I've installed my OS and everything? And if I do, could it make my system unstable? I don't want to have to reinstall everything, or lose my data (as I almost did when my last desktop went down.)

Thank you for any assistance.

Post Re: eSATA on 870 Extreme3

Yes you can. I did it after Win7 installation and it's works just fine. Here are couple addresses to instructions.

GUIDE - Enabling AHCI mode AFTER Windows 7 Installation - Guru3D.com Forums
    How to Enable AHCI in Windows 7 | Windows 7 News
    AHCI : Enable in Windows 7 / Vista - Windows 7 Forums

Default Re: eSATA on 870 Extreme3

Dear phoenixaudubon,

If your OS is installed in IDE mode, you must connect your eSATA drive to eSATA port before you boot the system.
    The eSATA drive can be recognized in IDE mode and you don't adjust any settings, please connect the drive to eSATA port before you boot your system to try.

But system cannot support Hot Plug and Hot Swap functions in IDE mode.
    Thanks!

Have a nice day
    ASRock TSD
    ASRock Tech Support Staff

Thumbs down Re: eSATA on 870 Extreme3

Quote Originally Posted by marko69 View Post
    Yes you can. I did it after Win7 installation and it's works just fine.
    I tried the steps there, and it appeared to install the drivers. However, it still will not recognize the drive if I plug it into an eSATA. The only thing that was different from those instructions was that my ASRock BIOS page had an extra option...something about "Load AMD AHCI BIOS," or something; I will need to look at it again. However, I left that option as "Disabled," because I was not sure.

Thread Information