Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: AM2NF3-VSTA and windows 7

Default AM2NF3-VSTA and windows 7

Is this board and windows 7 compatible with the latest Bios update? I also plan to install the AMD Phenom II X4 940 Black Edition Deneb 3.0GHz Socket AM2+ processor. Will I face any problems? Thanks

Troy

Default Re: AM2NF3-VSTA and windows 7

Anyone???

Thumbs up Re: AM2NF3-VSTA and windows 7

I've just successfully tested installing Win 7 - both 32-bit and 64-bit - on this board with BIOS 3.30. CPU is an Athlon 64 X2 4600+ (2.4GHz) with 4GB RAM.

I'm using an NVidia 6200 AGP 8X card - the 6200 seems to be the oldest Nvidia card for which the current 64-bit Forceware drivers for Win 7 can be applied.

The onboard NIC works fine with the MS drivers, but I'm not using the onboard sound, so didn't test that (I'll be installing a Creative Xtreme Music PCI card).

I was expecting much more of a fight with chipset drivers, TBH, so I'm pleasantly surprised that it all worked fine.

I will be going ahead with full installation of 64-bit Win 7 based on the tests, as it seems to be solid.

Troy Tempest, that's good to hear. I've still got my board sitting here wondering what to do next. If the 64bit OS is successful, then that's a start. I to will be using a creative xtreme sound card as i never use onboard. My graphics card will be an ATI 3850 AGP, supposedly the best AGP board on the market to date, though hard to fine. I am more curious though about the Phenom II X4 940 CPU. There is a BIOS update to make it compatible with this board but I'm optimistic about a downgrade in performance. According to specifications:

"*If you use AM3 / AM2+ CPU on AM2 chipset motherboard, the system bus speed will downgrade from HT3.0 (5200 MT/s) to HT1.0 (2000 MT/s), but the CPU frequency will not be influenced.

*If you adopt AMD Phenom™ X4 AM2+ CPU on this motherboard with AGP VGA cards, please click here for AGP VGA Card support list."

So with this said, CPU frequency will not change, but I don't know to much about 'HT3.0 (5200 MT/s) to HT1.0 (2000 MT/s)', i.e., how much performance will I loose?!

The second point when using a Phenom II X4, is that certain graphics card should be used with specific drivers ...The 3850 is not on the list....Not sure if this matters.

Either way, it would be awesome to know how your system performs once completed..Keep me posted.

Thanks

Troy

The Win7 experience scores were all 5-6 except for the GPU, which was only 2 (1 before installing the NVidia Forceware drivers!). That is definitely showing up the severe AGP limitation - even at 8X. I won't be playing games on this, so I don't mind - as long as yoochewb works OK.

I get the distinct impression that AM2+ / AM3 is pushing the board further than the AGP can cope with, plus there are limitations with ATI (AMD) card support (like none for 32/64-bit Windows Vista or 7!!).

I chose this mobo because I already had the CPU and graphics card, plus some other bits and pieces. The fact that it works reasonably well is a bonus, frankly, as it was put together from cast-offs!

If I wanted to build a Phenom-based system, I would be looking to PCIexpress, not back to AGP, and I'd get a current mobo to get the best out of the CPU. TT

I'm using this mobo with an Athlon II x3 455 & a Gigabyte HD4650. Unfortunately all of them work correctly only on Win XP. I have tried both Win7 32-bit & Win7-64bit but the nForce, Ethernet, AGP Gart drivers couldn't installed at all. What drivers are you using?

I've got an Athlon 64 X2, and an Nvidia 6200 GPU - all the drivers are standard MS Win 7 64-bit except the GPU, that's NVidia. All works just fine, although the AGP graphics is a hell of a bottleneck - I'm not using the Aero interface. And I'm not convinced by the NIC - I don't know if it's this chipset, the drivers, or Win 7 generally, but XP - Win 7 file transfers are unbelievably slow!

I'm pretty sure that there is zero support for ATI / AMD graphics cards for Win 7 on this board. I also believe that support for later CPUs (Athlon II and Phenom) is more limited.

HTH

TT

There are some known limitations when using the nForce3 250 chipset in combination with Vista (and Windows 7):
    ASRock AM2NF3-VSTA / ALiveDual-eSATA2 Note
    nForce3 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Graphics card support is very limited.

Like Troy Tempest mentioned, this board is a good (and probably the only) option if you already have the rest of the components. But if you still need to buy a graphics card or CPU, then it is better to move on to another board and to PCI express.

Question AM2NF3-VSTA and windows 7

Hello, everyone!
    Enlighten me, please. Does this mobo work with dualcore cpu and 7950GT AGP under win 7 x64?
    Last edited by v_ian; 12-03-2012 at 04:36 PM.

Thread Information