Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: ASRock 890GX Extreme4 unlock cores problem

Default ASRock 890GX Extreme4 unlock cores problem

I've just assembled a new PC with the ASRock 890GX Extreme4, AMD Phenom IIx4 970, Win 7 64 bit 8Gb RAM which actually works very well (a couple of minor niggles perhaps). I have been trying to unlock the extra cores that might be available in the CPU. The process seems OK, I can boot up and run undemanding tasks. But if I try something a bit more demanding (but not seriously so) i get the BSOD and error 0x00000124. The screen doesn't remain long enough for me to read it fully but there is something about hardware error.

There seem to be several possibilties eg a problem with the extra cores. These could be faulty and AMD/ASRock warn about this and since you are paying for only a 4 core processor you cannot very well complain! The Task manager and other tools (eg CPUID) identify only 4 cores (perhaps they do not have the ability to identify more). There could be an overheat problem. On 6 core the CPU runs at 31C at rest. On 4 core, 100% load on all 4 cores gets it to 41C. I'm not sure the core monitoring software can measure properly when there are 6 cores but I haven't had my eye on a monitor when a BSOD occurred.

I'm not heartbroken but it would be nice to be able to release the other cores if feasible. Any way of tracking the problem down?

Sandy

Default Re: ASRock 890GX Extreme4 unlock cores problem

Watch this video to see some advice to find out if you have extra 2 cores.

YouTube - AMD Phenom II X4 970 Black Edition Unlocking Attempt Linus Tech Tips

To see blue screen message until you press reset/power down. My Computer -> r-click and select properties, on left pane take the bottom one advanced something (I have localized win7) then on start up and recovery section press button settings and uncheck automatically reboot.

Stop code 0x124 on google suggest you to take off all overclockings first, if that doesn't help you'd need to test your memory preferrably stick by stick, then check that your memory sticks are same type and have same timings/voltages etc.
    Last edited by AsrockNewbie; 01-23-2011 at 10:46 PM.

Default Re: ASRock 890GX Extreme4 unlock cores problem

Thank you. That was very helpful. The ASRock setup asks that I enable all cores in the BIOS and I then I'm assuming I have to click "X" when booting up to activate the 6cores (if they are there). With all cores enabled and either in 4 core or possible 6 core mode I can see only 4 cores in the BIOS. According to the video it looks as if I have only 4 cores - no problem. I only bought the CPU as 4 core.

A couple of comments. Whereas previously the PC always crashed with the BSOD while trying to run 6 cores under load, it now runs nicely without the BSOD. I've a couple of ideas about that but I don't intend to follow them up - yet. I tried to measure CPU temperatures. When 6 core was enabled in the BIOS (but not using the "X"), Core-Temp wouldn't show any CPU temp information. The free edition of CPUID didn't give individual core temps but did give what I take to be roughly the mean (CPUTIN) - 45C at 100% for all the 4 cores.

I haven't tried to follow up your BSOD guidance at this moment.

Sandy

Thread Information