Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: ASRock P67 Extreme 6 and Adaptec 5405

Default ASRock P67 Extreme 6 and Adaptec 5405

Hello, I am trying to get an Adaptec 5405 RAID Card to install on the extreme 6 board. I placed the card initially in PCIE4 and on boot the onboard LED says 0d ( which from what I can tell is a reserved error code ). Same thing happens if I put the card in PCIE6 ( the x4 PCI Express slot ) . My first thought is that the motherboard is thinking that whatever is plugged into this slot is another video card, but I can't find a setting in the UEFI to state that I only have one video card ( did see the setting for primary video card in PCI or PCI Express ). Does anyone have any insight into whether or not this setting can even be done ( single video card only ) or if it is possible to use this RAID card with this motherboard?

Default Re: ASRock P67 Extreme 6 and Adaptec 5405

I would try updating the bios and resetting the CMOS while the card is not plugged in. After the system starts and gets to the BIOS, power off the machine (unplug power completely) and install the card.

If you plug the card into the 2nd blue PCIe 16x slot, the Video card and RAID card will both operate at 8x speed and be handled by the CPU controller.

If you plug the card into the 3rd PCIe 16x slot (4x electrical), the video card will remain at 16x and the RAID card at 4x.

If it does not work, there may be some other incompatibility with that specific card and you may want to contact both Adaptec and ASRock tech support about the issue.

--Extra Info--
    The PCIe lanes on a P67 board are as follows:

Sandy Bridge CPU - 16 PCIe v2.0 lanes: 1 slot @ 16x or 2 slots @ 8x each.
    P67 Chipset: 8 PCIe v2.0 lanes.

On the ASRock P67 Extreme6, 3 of the PCIe lanes are used by resources integrated on the motherboard.
    1x - AsMedia PCIe to PCI Bridge (PLX Switch)
    1x - Marvel SATA 6G Controller
    1x - Etron USB 3 Controller.

This leaves 5 PCIe lanes available.
    If you plug a 4x 8x or 16x card into the 3rd PCIe 16 slot (orange), it will only operate at 4x max.

This leaves 1 lane left despite there being 2 more PCIe 1x slots on the board. You can plug a PCIe 1x device into the top most slot (closest to the CPU), but if you plug a PCIe 1x card into lower PCIe 1x slot, the PCIe 16x slot will drop down to 2x speed max instead of 4x.

Thanks for replying. I have already installed Version 1.4 ( latest from asrock for this board ). Should have put that in initial query. I will follow the rest of the thread instructions and update. I have installed the Asus 6850 video card. No other cards are installed.
    Last edited by eharris200; 02-07-2011 at 06:18 AM.

same result on my ASRock P67 Extreme 6 and Adaptec 5405. Ive tested
    different graphic cards, all slots in different combinations Bios beta v1.33
    Bios 1.4. Dr. Debug Message: 0D. Asrock Support : .. will check it .... maybe
    fix it with a new Bios. Im waiting for a new message..........

Instructions didn't work for me. Thank you for suggesting. I have started a thread with ASROCK support as well. If I hear anything noteworthy will update. Start2k11, did you try with a pcie x1 card or only different video cards in the pcie x16 slots? Thanks for information.

The Intel PRO/1000 PT Desktop Adapter PCIe x1 is working well in
    slot "PCIE4".The Bus interface for GPU Slot PCIE2 is switching to
    PCie x16 @ x8 result GPU-Z.

From Support:

The ASRock motherboard has been designed to work with PCIexpress video cards only .

So, looks like the answer is no.

From Support .NL Tue, 1 Feb 2011 :

>>>>Is it avaibel to use a PCIe x8 ( Adaptec RAID 5405 ) Controller Card in one of the PCIe x16 slots ?

Yes, should be not a problem. The PCie x16 slot is able to support/work with lower cards like 8x, 4x, 1x cards

Interesting. My replies from support <removed names at request>. Can you discern who your contact is and I'll be happy to forward that person their responses to see if they are correct?
    Last edited by eharris200; 02-09-2011 at 01:59 AM.

@ eharris200 send private mail

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information