Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Crashing when idle: P67 Extreme 6

Default Crashing when idle: P67 Extreme 6

Hi everyone,

So I just built a computer with the stats listed below. When running benchmark programs it will stay on for days at great GPU/Core temps (around 45-50). However, if I leave the computer idle it will typically "crash" within 12 hours. By crash I mean that:

1. The mouse and keyboard lose usb power (lights are off)
    2. Sometimes/sometimes not the ethernet lights will disappear on the backplate, yet the router still shows that ethernet line as active (and at 1gbps).
    3. The computer sounds as if it is still running but won't respond to pings.

I'm not over clocking, and everything is running on the most recent bios defaults.

Any thoughts? I assume it has to do with some sort of power saving/sleep functionality - I've read of similar issues effecting the Asus P67 boards but found nothing on ASRock.

ASRock P67 Extreme 6
    I7 2600k
    2 x 4gb G.Skill ripjaw 1600
    Radeon 6970
    2 x Vertex 2 SSD
    Seasonic x-850
    Windows 7 - 64
    Last edited by seiferd; 02-13-2011 at 08:40 AM.

Default Re: Crashing when idle: P67 Extreme 6

Hi, I had the same issue on my ASRock P67 Extreme 4. Strangely, in my case it was the automatic regulation of CPU fans (what the heck!). I've got to leave on FULL ON, otherwise the computer would freeze in linux. All other fan regulations work and can be set arbitrarily. It's got nothing to do with temperatures, because it usually would not happen under full load, only when idle. The computer was stable all the time when watching a 1080p movie but froze instantely when I quit the media player. Other users do not seem to have the same issue. For my part, this and the SATA issue will finally be a reason for RMA.

I too am noticing this issue when idle or under light load. I thought it was an overclock or bad memory, but I reduced everything to stock/auto settings and the problems still happen, perhaps with more frequency than when Turbo overclocked. I hope this issue does not survive the RMA.

I am able to run stress tests and intense RAM tests over and over without any problems.
    Fans are all set to Full On. 2 CPU Fans, 2 Chassis Fans.

AsRock P67 Extreme6 BIOS 1.40
    Windows 7 SP1 x64
    i7-2600K
    2 x 4GB G.Skill Ripjaw 1600 @ 7-8-7-24
    2 x 2GB Mushkin 1600 @ 7-8-7-24
    nVidia GeForce 470
    Antec TruePower New 750
    SoundBlaster X-Fi
    LSI 8404E PCIe 8x Raid Controller
    Last edited by secured2k; 02-21-2011 at 05:59 PM.

I solved this by manually setting some voltage-related BIOS setting from Level 5 to Level 4, can't remember what the setting is called though. The automatic fan adjustments were not the root of the problem, but setting it to full just alleviated the symptoms. Everything is rock-stable now, even with automatic fan settings.
    Last edited by Dark Shadow; 03-23-2011 at 11:06 PM.

Thanks for posting the solution to your problem.

I still had this problem even when adjusting the CPU voltage levels and even at stock speeds. I found that changing my memory timings and/or speed greatly reduced or stopped the errors from happening. Even though my memory is rated for 7-8-7-20-1T @1.65v 1600Mhz AND I was able to run memory tests on it for 12+ hours without error, the system would crash in Windows when not even being stressed. I'm guessing some internal CPU/memory controller/memory power saving techniques are at fault. Fortunately, even at 8-9-9-27-1T, I can reach +20GB/s in memory read/write/copy which is way fast enough for me.

The levels for the CPU voltage determine how much of a voltage drop happens after getting the processor up to a high clock rate. It takes a little more voltage to switch up to the faster rate but less voltage to maintain that speed. (Overclocked) At level 1, CPU voltage will stay at 1.4v (CPU vcore manually set to 1.4v), but at level 5, it will spike to 1.4v for a fraction of a second and then stay at 1.275v to maintain the overclock.

Thread Information