Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: 890FX Deluxe5

Default 890FX Deluxe5

I am looking forward to motherboards with AM3+ support, but I am curious what advantages there might be to waiting for 990FX/X based boards versus the 890FX Deluxe5 that was recently added to the ASRock lineup.

Any idea when the 890FX Deluxe5 will be shipping?

Default Re: 890FX Deluxe5

I thought I would update on my own, to the best of my ability, and offer some speculation.

I have seen some comments that the 990FX is simply a rebadged 890FX. That may be true, but I have found a decent chart that shows comparisons of the various chipsets.

AMD preparing 9 series chipsets for AM3+ - www.nordichardware.com

Let's start with the southbridge, in particular comparing SB850 to SB950. The only difference in the chart is the number of PCIe Gen 2 lanes coming off of the south bridge. The SB950 shows 4 lanes where the SB850 shows 2 lanes. It is highly unlikely that this will impact anyone considering the number of PCIe Gen 2 lanes offered up by the northbridges. All other features are identical.

As for the northbridge comparison (once again focusing on the high-end 890FX and 990FX), they offer identical features in the chart. Both have 42 PCIe Gen 2 lanes in identical configurations. The PCIe graphics lanes can be either 2 x 16 or 4 x 8, and the PCIe GPP lanes are 6 x 1 and 1 x 4 (this is why the 2 extra lanes on SB950 aren't that big of a deal). There is only one column that is different, and that is the TDP. For some reason, the 990FX is 19.6W where the 890FX is 18W.

So, feature-wise, it is unlikely that 990FX is going to offer anything that can't already be offered in 890FX. Note however that there could be some unannounced feature within bulldozer that is only supported by 990FX. Sadly, AMD is being so closed-lip about this that it's virtually impossible to know if that is the case.

Finally, I want to make note of the interest in this specific board. Try the following in Google.

"asrock 890fx deluxe5"

As of this writing, there are over 500,000 results!

As of right now the 990FX will launch with a 10 Phase VRM which is the same as the current Gigabyte 890FX UD5 AM3+. This may change though as AMD has been hush hush about the specs of the bulldozer. Manufacturers may need to release a new 15 phase Gen 2 990FX to support better overclockability (If AMD for some reason decided last minute to tweak the chip before launch....).

The biggest difference that I can see is the 890FX has native 5200GT/s, where the 990FX should have 6400GT/s. Basically if you buy a 890FX you might be slightly limiting your overclockability.

Cheers,
    NeedTurbo

I am searching to purchase this main board in the United States but haven't had any success.
    Does anyone know of a retailer in the United States who is selling this main board or when it will be available for purchase?
    Does anyone know of an international retailer who has this product which ships to the United States?
    Thanks for your help.

Newegg has it for $190: Newegg.com - ASRock 890FX DELUXE5 AM3 AMD 890FX SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard

They also have the 890FX Deluxe4 for $155. I'm very happy with my Deluxe4 and you could save some bucks if you don't need the extra 16Gb of memory.

Good luck,
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by computer.technician View Post
    I am searching to purchase this main board in the United States but haven't had any success.
    Does anyone know of a retailer in the United States who is selling this main board or when it will be available for purchase?
    Does anyone know of an international retailer who has this product which ships to the United States?
    Thanks for your help.

I pulled the trigger on Friday. I won't be picking it up until next week though. I'll try to get a review up in a couple of weeks.

Thread Information