Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Can the N68-S UCC & AMD Phenom II X4 840 mix?

Default Can the N68-S UCC & AMD Phenom II X4 840 mix?

Hi people.

Just wondering if someone can confirm whether or not the AMD Phenom II X4 840 3.2 GHz 95 W Propus quad-core CPU is compatible with the ASRock N68-S UCC motherboard. This particular CPU does not appear on the ASRock N68-S UCC CPU Support List here: http://www.asrock.com/mb/cpu.asp?Model=N68-S%20UCC

However, the CPU is so closely aligned with the AMD Athlon II X4 645 3.1 GHz 95 W Propus quad-core CPU that it would greatly surprise me if this CPU isn't compatible. I just don't want to pay for a CPU that will force me to upgrade my motherboard.

Have contacted ASRock Technical Support and have received no response. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers.

Default Re: Can the N68-S UCC & AMD Phenom II X4 840 mix?

I am also desperate to know the answer to this!!! did u try it? did it work it?......... The reason I ask is that I am in the same situation and have found the only competitor price range available on ebay UK (presently) is the Athlon 640 for 76!!! I could get the x4 840 for only 60..... (if it is compatible) :s

Yes it does. UCC activates something strange though in that cool CPU. Probably the missing Phenom L3 Cache. Temperature CPU cores (with active air cooling) rise from 22C to 45C, UCC enabled, without any extra increase in performance.

Valid CPU-Z readings with Phenom II X4 840:
    CPU-Z Validator 3.1

Thanks for the reply.

It made perfect sense to me that the AMD Phenom II X4 840 would be compatible with the ASRock N68-S UCC but I ended up taking the safe route and purchased the AMD Athlon II X4 640, since that was on the approved list.

Fortunately for me, the 640 was a few dollars cheaper than the 840 where I purchased it from. The 645, on the other hand, was more expensive than both!

I have the 640 running at a stable 3.6GHz using a Coolermaster Hyper TX3 CPU cooler so I'm content for now.

Thread Information