Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: ASrock 775VM8 will not recognize New 500GB WD Caviar Blue SATA HDD

Exclamation ASrock 775VM8 will not recognize New 500GB WD Caviar Blue SATA HDD

I've tried everything, unless it's just the simple fact that the HDD is too Fast or too Big for the old MOBO to recognize??
    The MOBO has two IDE Slots and two SATA Slots so I assume that although the old OS was on a 40GB Maxtor IDE HDD (which it picks up fine) that the two available SATA slots would pick up an SATA HDD. I even tried to switch out an outdated 160GB WD SATA HDD , still nothing.
    I upgraded the BIOS from 1.30 to 1.50.
    I downloaded the latest VIA Raid controllers and loaded them at the Windows Install Prompt, I'm loading, or trying to load Win XP Pro by the way.
    I've tested the POWER ADAPTER and it powers a fan,, and you can feel the drive vibrating, so there is power.
    I've tried two diff Sata cables, in BOTH SLOTS.
    I've formatted the drive, as primary I think on a newer computer,, Win 7 64Bit, but that shouldn't matter.
    Wouldn't recognize it before, won't recognize it now.
    Totally tore out the old IDE HDD , only the CD Drive left in and that's IDE and I've tried it on Master and Slave settings. Not with the jumper though. I'll try that next I guess. But either way, I think the MOBO should still pick up a SATA HDD , as Master OR Slave sh ouldn't it?
    I've even put the Maxtor jumper on the new Sata drive as it says on WD's site that you can put a jumper on pins 5 & 6 to enable 1.5GB/s reading.
    NOTHING
    Anyway,,, I'm open to ANY suggestions or ideas,,

ANYTHING would be much appreciated at this point.

Thanks Guys

Default Re: ASrock 775VM8 will not recognize New 500GB WD Caviar Blue SATA HDD

have you tried to install WinXP on your old hdd and then connect the new hdd?
    if it isn't visible then, it's problem with mbo or the faulty drive(less possible).

Yes, I tried that VRX,,, it was the only way I could try to find it by having windows xp on the old drive first. It's not the new drive being faulty either. I put it in another computer to Format it just in case it had to be formatted first and it formatted fine as well, I even tried and older SMALLER SATA drive in the computer and it wouldn't recognize that one either :(

did you set non-raid mode in bios/advanced/sata operation mode?
    try it as a last resort.
    if that doesnt work,i think that the motherboard's controller is to blame.

The only thing in the updated version of the bios for SATA is either RAID or NON-RAID. I've tried both. :(
    I'm thinking it's the controllers too.. but do you know if it may be the Transfer rate of the newer drive or the size???
    I talked with WD and they said there "May be" a problem with going from Sata 3 to Sata 1 . Some boards won't support it.

since it's obvious that the mbo is a problem you have 2 solutions

1. get a new board(or atleast newer,used)
    or
    2.contact Asrock support ,maybe they can do something,
    actualy,i recommend that you try first with them,because they can give you more guidance ,or maybe modified bios to support new drives!
    you dont need to spend any money if they can help.

compose a mail and include the link for this thread.

Hi,

Ok this might be a stupid question.

Is the SATA Controller Enabled in the Motherboard's Bios?

Thread Information