Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: ASRock SandyBridge does not Recognize PCIe RAID Controllers

Default ASRock SandyBridge does not Recognize PCIe RAID Controllers

Hardware:
    ASRock H67M-ITX (UEFI v1.10) Sandybridge B3 Chipset
    SiliconImage Sil3132 PCIe RAID Controller card with FIS-based port multiplier

My eSATA card (Sans Digital HA-SAN-2ESPCIE2) based on sil3132 when inserted into card slot, the card is not recognized at all. It worked perfectly on the Intel DH57 motherboard it was previously installed into and I installed it into an AMD based system in which it still works perfectly. When installed into the ASRock H67M-ITX (or Foxconn H67S) motherboard, the configuration screen immediately after UEFI POST does not show up and the device does not appear at all in the Windows7 device manager. It is as if the card is not installed at all. I tried installing another PCIe-x2 card into the slot and that worked fine. I also removed the metal plate from the sil3132 card and inserted the card as deeply as possible into the slot and this made no difference. It seems to be incompatible with the UEFI, but according to Silicon Image documents, it should be compatible with the firmware version 7.7.03 (which I have). I have also tried the Rosewill RC-223 (another Sil3132 card) and it does the same thing. Also, I have ordered a HighPoint RocketRaid 622 to test but have not yet received it. Does anyone have an Sil3132 based card working with an ASRock UEFI? Are there any other affordable eSATA cards that support Port Multiplier on a UEFI based system? Can I flash a standard BIOS onto this motherboard? I would use the onboard eSATA port, but the provided driver does not support Port Multiplier. My 7TB disk array (JBOD) is nothing but a stack of door stops right now!

Oh, that fancy-pants UEFI GUI doesn't work with my mouse or my keyboard. I have to plug in older hardware to make it work. Mouse (GYR4101) just moves up and down and keyboard is Bluetooth. I suppose niether would have worked before UEFI, but it's still annoying...

-Valkyrie-MT

Default Re: ASRock SandyBridge does not Recognize PCIe RAID Controllers

Hi Valkyrie,

So it doesnt work on the ASRock H67M-ITX or the Foxconn H67S.
    Seems to be a compatibility problem with the intel 67/Sandy bridge chipset.

Have you updated your motherboard to the newest bios?
    Oops nvm, you have.
    Last edited by Hawkster13; 03-25-2011 at 11:40 AM.

Im pretty certain that new Highpoint card will work without any problems.

Also if you prefer to use external hard drives more than internals. This might help you out to use 2 of your internal SATA ports as externals (eSata). Newegg.com - StarTech ESATAPLATE2 2 Port SATA to eSATA Slot Plate Bracket

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkster13 View Post
    Im pretty certain that new Highpoint card will work without any problems.

Also if you prefer to use external hard drives more than internals. This might help you out to use 2 of your internal SATA ports as externals (eSata). Newegg.com - StarTech ESATAPLATE2 2 Port SATA to eSATA Slot Plate Bracket

I chose the Highpoint because if this is a UEFI problem, the Highpoint may have a chance of working because it is also compatible with Macs which use EFI. I suspect this is a UEFI firmware issue. But, after a month of struggling with Foxconn and now the ASRock, I am quitting. I may not even try the RocketRaid 622. I am done with eSATA. I am buying a new USB 3.0 disk enclose. It actually has a whole pile of advantages...
    • USB 3.0 will actually be faster than eSATA + Port Multiplier
    • Quicker boot because there is no add-in card to initialize for 7-10 seconds after POST
    • Frees up my one and only card slot for something useful! Like a TV card!
    • Better physical connection. The eSATA plugs SUCK. They would frequently come out when wires got slightly shifted... I'm hoping USB 3.0 is better.
    So, I am determined to turn my lemons into lemonade! Although, I'm gonna have lots to put up on ebay... :)

BUT, ASRock still needs to look into this with Intel. I'm convinced there is a defect in the UEFI firmware here...

-Valkyrie-MT
    Last edited by Valkyrie-MT; 03-26-2011 at 09:36 PM.

I have two USB 3.0 external HDs myself.

They work great and transfers fast and I totally agree with you about the connector.
    The USB connector is better than the e-Sata ones by far.

I'm seeing a similar problem with the an Adaptec 5085 controller (debug code 0d), on the P67 extreme4.

I've also got two other controllers a sun controller SGXPCIESAS-R-EXT-Z which will show the show the UEFI POST screen but won't go any further unless I have my other raid card (an Adaptec 3805) plugged into the second PCIE slot in which case it boots fine.
    The Adaptec 3805 will boot with out problems.

All three cards are running the latest firmware and post fine in my old board.

I tend to agree that this is a problem with the UEFI firmware as the cards boot fine in other systems and after much hunting online the only boards that seem to have a problem with these cards are the Asrock mother boards.

Quote Originally Posted by norf View Post
    I tend to agree that this is a problem with the UEFI firmware as the cards boot fine in other systems and after much hunting online the only boards that seem to have a problem with these cards are the Asrock mother boards.
    I had the exact same problem on a Foxconn H67S motherboard, so I don't think it is specific to ASRock. I suspect it's a flaw in the reference UEFI firmware from Intel that is in both ASRock and Foxconn and likely others' firmware for Sandybridge. I actually sent a card to Foxconn to reproduce the issue. I'm hoping that ASRock will buy their own to test with. A Sil3132 can be had for $20. It's the type of problem that could take a while to fix, which was the primary driver behind switching to USB 3.0. Also, ASRock has yet to respond to my tech support request.

-Valkyrie-MT

I have a Fantec QB-35US3R 4 bay raid enclosure. I used to hook it up to a P35 system with esata cable to an esatabracket connected to an internal sataport. This worked fine, passthru of about 240 MB/s. Now it's hooked on an Asrock P67 Extreme6. The Raid enclosure is set up as raid 0. Hooked on the same esatabracket I used on my P35 system, it's not recognized in windows. In bios (uefi) it's listed on a port, in windows there's no Fantec. I now believe this is because the Intel sataports do not support the port multiplier in my enclosure. So bios is telling me the Fantec is there, windows doesn't recognize the Fantec, because (this theory has been confirmed in another forum somewhere) windows only see's the first drive, which it can not show in explorer or drivecontroll because it is part of a raid 0 array. Connected to the Marvell 9120 esataport the Fantec works, but transferspeed is limited by this poor performing Marvell controller to about 140 MB/s. Using usb3 seems to be a dead end, as the Jmicron usb to sata bridgechip (JMS539) has issues. This is not limited to the usb3 Etron controller on my motherboard, attached on a different usb3 controller problems are the same, being not getting recognized and installed properly, signing on and af in a matter of seconds, or just having the transferspeed of usb2. So usb3 is not always the answer to all problems. I guess standalone external hard drives or raid enclosures with another usb3 to sata bridgechip will work fine, but for now, it seems I have run out of luck, as an older generation PCIe host controller doesn't seem to work either, and as far as I know all sata3 hostcontrollers seem to have the same controller(family) from Marvell (91XX). I expect this controller on PCIe cards will have the same transferspeed as the one on my motherboard.

I got the USB 3.0 enclosure and that has it's own issues. The ASRock XFast is junk. It actually requires you to unplug and replug USB!? That should never be necessary. Also, the ETronics controller/drivers- I am reading has issues with the driver and I am seeing that too. The disks just disappear from windows about 1-2 times per day with windows reporting a device paging error (lost several recordings in Media Center already) and the harddisk enclosure must be power cycled just to get it to work again. Also, the disks don't spin down... but that may be an issue with the enclosure. Ugh. Connecting external disks to this motherboard is not easy/problem free. Note: I am on day 3 of perfect operation using USB 2.0 on the Intel USB controller. Well, at least it works... Not happy. ASRock needs to fix this stuff now! This USB 3.0 implementation is very poor.
    Last edited by Valkyrie-MT; 04-05-2011 at 12:40 PM.

I'm about to trade in my B2 stepping for a B3 stepping. When possible I will trade in My Asrock P67 Extreme6 for an Asus or MSI board. This was my first Asrock board, and probably will be my last.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information