Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: GTS 250 with 4CoreDual-SATA2?

Default GTS 250 with 4CoreDual-SATA2?

Hi folks, hoping someone here can help me.

I have an older setup with a 4CoreDual-SATA2 MoBo. On the AsRock web site it lists GTS 250 as a compatable video card, however on the specifications page it lists this board as having a PCIe x4 but the requirement for a GTS 250 is a PCIe x16 slot. Can I get this to work?

I initially tried a GTS 430 card (wich is NOT on the list of supported VGA's - I should have checked first!) and it did not work. Windows acknowleged it by name as new hardware, but after the reboot after installing the drivers I got a message that there were no drivers for the card. Checking properties of the card under device manager said it was "unable to initialize" or something to that effect.

When I took the GTS 430 back I was told it probably did not work due to the PCIe x4 on the MoBo vs. the PCIe x16 required on the card. However, after seeing the GTS 250 listed as compatable, I wonder if this is true. Also, after browsing this forum I see some people have gotten the GTS 400 series to work.

One other piece of info - After bringing back the 430 and delving into this a bit I see my Bios is out of date, version 1.50 vs. 2.20.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Default Re: GTS 250 with 4CoreDual-SATA2?

Hi ssmilazo,

Do please update your motherboard's bios to the newest 2.20.
    In the VGA supported list for your motherboard, you can see that support for the GTS-250 came with the 2.10 bios. So it probably didnt work with the older bios.

So please update your bios first.

After you have done updating your bios, you can download the newest driver for your video card here:
    Drivers - Download NVIDIA Drivers

Thread Information