Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: USB 3.0 Problem

Jon Skilling is offline Junior Member

Thumbs down Re: USB 3.0 Problem

Hi,

I've spent a bit more time testing the .98 drivers and can confirm that they are definitely an improvement over the .96 ones. However, whatever is causing the problem has not been completely fixed.

After going back to .96, I tried again to install the .98 drivers and this was helped by completely removing the USB cable from both the machine and HDD before I started and then reattaching it after they'd updated. This started off well with the drive spinning up in USB3 mode and recognising the data on the disk. The drive also stays on more consistently, instead of spinning up and down.

However, there are still problems as the drive will regularly hang during startup or shutdown, preventing the startup/shutdown from happening. This is characterised by the blue light remaining on and the drive spinning up every couple of minutes. Eventually it will get itself together for long enough to allow the machine to shut down or get into windows.

I tried a backup when the drive looked like it was behaving, but after about a half hour going well the drive froze. I left it for an hour and then unplugged the drive so that I could turn the machine off. A copy from the drive to another internal backup drive did well but ended up with a BSOD after about 200Gb copied.

In the end I transferred all the data off the drive via USB2, formatted it and ran a thorough checkdisk which completed without problems.

In summary, the new drivers are a step in the right direction but still not that useable...

Default Re: USB 3.0 Problem

The Etron driver could cause random BSOD in certain situations. See this thread:

Solved Random BSOD Driving me crazy! - Windows 7 Forums

As of now the best solution is to install an extension card with the NEC USB 3.0 host controller and disable the Etron controller.

Hi Marosy,

Thanks for the reply. I looked at this an a couple of other threads which confirm that lots of people are having various levels of problems with this controller and associated drivers. I've got legacy USB support enabled in the BIOS and am having no problems with devices other than the HDD in USB3 mode when using these ports. Devices I'm using are Logitech G25 and MX1000 mouse.

I've done my testing now on the .98 drivers and concluded that they're still not useable with my external HDD, therefore my plan is to wait it out and try again with the next set of drivers that get released. Nothing else I can do short of fixing the drivers myself, so it's time to just be patient and hope this and other threads help people to identify and work around their own issues. Hopefully it might also encourage Etron to pull their collective fingers out and get a stable driver released....

Couldn't open the url, but is true (recently added):

USB-IF Compliance Home
    Last edited by bahram_alinezhad; 05-25-2011 at 01:19 PM. Reason: "(recently added)"

New drivers for Etron USB 3.0 v0.101
    DOWNLOAD

Hi,

Thanks for the link. However, I can only find this driver on the Mediafire site which you link to and without wanting to sound suspicious, I'm going to err on the side of caution and leave it a little longer till it's a little more generally available.

I did notice also that Asrock now provide the 0.98 driver on their website. Progress marches on....
    ASRock Z87 Extreme6 | Core i5 4670K Cooled by Corsair H50 | 4x4 GB DDR3 1600 GSkill | Gigabyte GTX560 Ti 1GB DDR5 | Intel 240GB 335 SSD, 3 x 2TB & 1 x 3TB HDD, 2 x 24" LG Monitors | Coolermaster Silent Pro 700W | Yamaha Amp/Receiver | Windows 7 SP1 64 bit

Try the new driver Etrontech .1.1.7z avail on megaup, it might resolve the issue.
    If you can't get it, let me know on here and I will send it to you. There is a link on the ExtremeSystems.org forums, Asrock forum for the z68 board, page 4. I am currently on my Macbook due to a power outage so no access to my main systems.

Update: Got generator going, main system up, here is the link: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=6RSCON8R

It would appear that the actual driver is 0.101 - strange naming convention.
    Last edited by rgsaunders; 06-10-2011 at 01:11 AM.
    Asrock Z68 Extreme 4, i7-2600K, DH-14, G Skill F3-14900CL9D-8GBXLD, HD6970, HX-750, 3X 2TB Hitachi SATA3, Corsair F60, etc

tried the latest etron 0.101, still got disconnection issue

EtronTech USB3 Treiber (EJ168) 1.00.0000.0104 WHQL

EtronTech USB3 Treiber (EJ168) 1.00.0000.0104 WHQL - PCTreiber.Net

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information