Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: memory recommendation for X58 extreme mainboard

Default memory recommendation for X58 extreme mainboard

I just bought an X58 board from newegg and I already had three 2gb sticks of g-skill F3-12800CL9T that I tried to run in triple channel but it did not work too well, in bios setup it said there was two sticks of 2gb in slots b1 and c1 and slot a1 was empty. I switched sticks around to other slots to rule out a bad stick, but no matter which stick I had in a1 b1 c1 the bios would always list dual channel 4 gb, 2gb in b1, 2gb in c1 and a1 empty. It looks like I have to try another memory type to run triple channel =>6gb. Does anyone have any recommendations as to what memory is most compatible with the X58 extreme?

Default Re: memory recommendation for X58 extreme mainboard

Not sure from what you say but did you try with only one stick in A1; try it will all three sticks one at a time because you might have a problem with the slot and not the memory.
    Kipper
    Hardware/Software Reviewer

Quote Originally Posted by Kipper View Post
    Not sure from what you say but did you try with only one stick in A1; try it will all three sticks one at a time because you might have a problem with the slot and not the memory.
    I tried doing that, then immediately upon bootup the motherboard led flashed "err 01 02 68" then I started to smell something burning. I yanked the plug immediately. The motherboard is obviously gone, and I hope it didn't take my cpu, video card, etc. with it. Asrock support has not responded to my emails from earlier in the week, at least the vendor has a good return policy. This has become a nightmare.

Sorry to hear but at least you know it was/is the MB now. Depending where you purchased it, if on line, you will be able to do a cross-RMA where they will put a hold on your card until you ship the defective board back but send the new one out to you immediately. Think positive about any further damage being done to you components.

Good luck with the RMA process
    Kipper
    Hardware/Software Reviewer

Thread Information